Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A confession from a minor-league backup quarterback

I've been working on a book about my experiences as the last-string quarterback of a minor-league indoor football quarterback in Port Huron a few years ago.

It's a sort of confessional Hunter Thompson-meets-George Plimpton sort of thing. I'm not claiming to be as talented as either of them -- although I'm a better quarterback than them, dead or alive -- but I think it's a fascinating world. It was booze, drugs, sex, cheating, gambling and slapstick, all on a football team that blew out every team is played in the Midwest.

This is a sort of primer, done in a blog and tackling some side topics about other leagues [[including the new one that will have a team at the Silverdome next month).

The blog is a little long, but I think it's interesting and I'm curious what people think.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...els-and-george

In my semi-pro days there was this guy who'd light a cigarette during every kickoff. First and only time I ever knew of anyone running down field with a lighted smoke.

It was my experience that semi-pro ball was the dirtiest, most violent, least organized and most fun of any game on this planet.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks.

It was common for our team to take Gatorade out of the fridge before the game and replace it with booze -- got to keep the important stuff cold. It was not uncommon for some of the guys to pour out some of the Gatorade and fill the remainder up with vodka.

One of the key offensive players could only play in top form if he was massively hung over. It worked.

I read both of Peter Gent's books, North Dallas Forty and Texas Celebrity Turkey Trot. I love this kind of stuff. I spent some time in minor pro hockey back in the 70's. I was thinking what I experienced would make a great book or screenplay. Nancy Dowd beat me to it with Slap Shot. Best of luck, I'll for sure buy one.