Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Something going on with building at Cadillac and Randolph downtown

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&q=De...23.1,,0,-26.03

I walked by about an hour ago and the entire building was opened up. Workers were going in and out and there was a semi-truck parked out front with a bunch of palettes and other stuff in it. I couldn't tell what kind of work they were doing, or if they were moving stuff in or out. I've been watching this building for quite sometime with the expectation that it would someday be renovated, but other than that I know nothing.

Does anyone know the name of this building or have inside information about what's going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&q=De...23.1,,0,-26.03

I walked by about an hour ago and the entire building was opened up. Workers were going in and out and there was a semi-truck parked out front with a bunch of palettes and other stuff in it. I couldn't tell what kind of work they were doing, or if they were moving stuff in or out. I've been watching this building for quite sometime with the expectation that it would someday be renovated, but other than that I know nothing.

Does anyone know the name of this building or have inside information about what's going on there?
    I am by that building a lot, I would like to see what is going on with it myself. I think I will stop by it later.

I used to live next door, where the downtown Motown Cafe Grill is. I think that place is called the Lawyer's Building. It's a pretty good little building, it would seem. So far, it has been just one more building that would have been nice to live and work in, with those giant windows, that went completely wasted in Detroit.

I'm excited to hear it might be getting put to some use.

Our union office used to be in that building about 20 years ago. We moved out due to high rent. Shortly after, it seemed most of the tenants moved out also. It's been vacant a good long while, at least 15 yrs I'd say. Sounds like your observations may show something promising though.

It sounds you were looking at scrappers not renovators.

Someone should be questioning them ASAP.

DetroitDad Guest

Thanks for the heads up BrushStart! I never would have noticed that one. I don't walk Cadillac Square very much in the Winter after Christmas. While your in the area, did you happen to check the progress of the new restaurant going in in the old Boarders space [[Compuware Building)?

This development would leave only one vacant building overlooking Campus Martius Park and Cadillac Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaiko View Post
    It sounds you were looking at scrappers not renovators.

Someone should be questioning them ASAP.
    If you are being serious I highly doubt it, I have looked in that building and there is nothing in there to scrap as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    While your in the area, did you happen to check the progress of the new restaurant going in in the old Boarders space [[Compuware Building)?
    Last time I walked by Compuware on the Woodward side was last week. The only thing I can tell you is that there is an advertisement for the Brazilian restaurant up in the window and the other windows have paper window coverings over them. I don't know how long those have been there, but I think they are relatively new. All good things for Campus Martius.

So I just drove by it on my way home and I could just see a bunch of chairs and tables on the first floor. In the middle of the first floor was a desk with a desk lamp on over some papers and various other office paraphernalia. Also, the light to the stairs for the next floor was on too, didn't see anyone in there though. I also thought I saw a halloween decoration... who knows. Hopefully there will be more news soon.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    If you are being serious I highly doubt it, I have looked in that building and there is nothing in there to scrap as it is.
    Just the Indian chief who always freaks me out when I walk by at night!

Just the Indian chief who always freaks me out when I walk by at night!
    Is that what that is?

They are building out the ground floor space for a cell phone store - - Verizon or AT&T or something.

TheRock use to work out of there I think. He has a story about some guy who bought the place and was stabbed to death while walking out the back door. That had to be at least 20 years ago; don't think anything substantial has been in there since.

Have to think that it was built shortly after WWI.

I would love to have a Verizon store downtown! It should work with the office workers.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    I would love to have a Verizon store downtown! It should work with the office workers.
    There's a kiosk at the RenCen. It sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    There's a kiosk at the RenCen. It sucks.
    I know...I think most kiosks suck. That's why a real retail store would be awesome. Instead of having to leave downtown for my needs.

I'll be happy with anything [[maybe not anything) taking up storefront space downtown.

I think cellphone stores suck in general.

I think cellphone stores suck in general.
    Yes, and there is already another cell phone store like 1 block from there on Monroe. All that being true, I'd still rather see a storefront occupied.

Proslack Guest

So I just drove by it on my way home and I could just see a bunch of chairs and tables on the first floor. In the middle of the first floor was a desk with a desk lamp on over some papers and various other office paraphernalia. Also, the light to the stairs for the next floor was on too, didn't see anyone in there though. I also thought I saw a halloween decoration... who knows. Hopefully there will be more news soon.
    I would assume they were srappers or something because this activity at this building has been going on for the past 2 years. That chair and desk with the lamp on it in the cleared out lobby area has been like that since 2009. I see those workers going in and out of that building every year. There seems to be no renovation going on there, just salvaging stuff

Yes, and there is already another cell phone store like 1 block from there on Monroe. All that being true, I'd still rather see a storefront occupied.
    For sure, I put cell phone stores on the same level of S.O.S. offices, they both equal the third dimension of Hell.

I am only talking about Verizon stores....I suppose I could go up to HP...

Quote Originally Posted by Proslack View Post
    I would assume they were srappers or something because this activity at this building has been going on for the past 2 years. That chair and desk with the lamp on it in the cleared out lobby area has been like that since 2009. I see those workers going in and out of that building every year. There seems to be no renovation going on there, just salvaging stuff
    Well, if they were scrappers, they were professionals with uniform polo shirts and a truck. I don't doubt what you're saying, but what the hell would they be salvaging?

Main floor doesn't look much different from how it has recently. Especially weird is the "scare-bum" sitting in the window. It's looked like this for months now, as if they have meetings there sometimes. Last use of the main floor was Hansen election HQ...

Proslack Guest

Well, if they were scrappers, they were professionals with uniform polo shirts and a truck. I don't doubt what you're saying, but what the hell would they be salvaging?
    Just stating what I've seen dude [[Im sure a "polo shirt" and a "truck" make it all official ha?) lol

Quote Originally Posted by Proslack View Post
    Just stating what I've seen dude [[Im sure a "polo shirt" and a "truck" make it all official ha?) lol
    I wasn't trying to undermine your observation, just trying to add something to the discussion. Like I said, I'd be curious just to know what they hell they would be salvaging from that building at this point.

Didn't this building recently [[within the last couple of years) have that red facade installed? I vaguely remember the changeover...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast