Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Compassion Center Opening in Morningside, Detroit.

Hello Everyone. [[This is my first post after lurking here for years

I live in Morningside and I've noticed that there's a banner hanging on a building on the corner of Mack and Somerset that announces that it will be a Big Daddy's compassion center. Morningside has so many problems as it is. I can't help but think that this may make matters worse especially after doing a google search.
    Does anyone have any experience with having a Compassion Center near their home?

Augustiner Guest

Why should that make matters worse? Wouldn't you rather have a thriving business in your neighborhood than another empty storefront?

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    Why should that make matters worse? Wouldn't you rather have a thriving business in your neighborhood than another empty storefront?
    Not if the business is detrimental to my community. I love thriving businesses. I'm a business woman myself but I keep finding articles like this on the web....
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._undershe.html

Yeah, I'd much rather have a liquor store with dudes swilling double-shots in the parking lot, yelling all night and leaving broken bottles everywhere. People who smoke reefer are a lot meaner and more violent. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah, I'd much rather have a liquor store with dudes swilling double-shots in the parking lot, yelling all night and leaving broken bottles everywhere. People who smoke reefer are a lot meaner and more violent. Hahaha.
    Yeah. I don't like what happens at liquor stores either, especially if they allow drug dealers to sell out of their stores which was alleged to have happened at "Big Daddy's" in another community.

Cops can get pretty violent when arresting potheads.

something tells me that they will be getting a lot of great business at that location.

getmoore -- oakland county has different policies than detroit concerning the law. i don't think it will be a problem to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    Yeah. I don't like what happens at liquor stores either, especially if they allow drug dealers to sell out of their stores which was alleged to have happened at "Big Daddy's" in another community.
    Um, that's not what I heard. I heard that pot dealers had bought product at a compassion center to sell out of their own homes. Not at the compassion center. Are you sure you have your facts straight?

Um, that's not what I heard. I heard that pot dealers had bought product at a compassion center to sell out of their own homes. Not at the compassion center. Are you sure you have your facts straight?
    I've reread some of the articles and you may be right. But selling to unlicensed people is dealing.
    http://detnews.com/article/20110114/...rom-dispensary
    I just have concerns about any activities related to this business that could cause problems. Possible police raids, loitering or crimes connected to this business just makes me worry. That's why I asked If anyone could let me know if they have first hand knowledge of these places near their homes.
    Last edited by getmoore; March-02-11 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    I've reread some of the articles and you may be right. But selling to unlicensed people is dealing.
    http://detnews.com/article/20110114/...rom-dispensary
    I just have concerns about any activities related to this business that could cause problems. Possible police raids, loitering or crimes connected to this business just makes me worry. That's why I asked If anyone could let me know if they have first hand knowledge of these places near their homes.
    Have you considered talking to Rick Ferris? He's "Big Daddy." And it's not some kind of underworld nickname; see, he got that nickname from a blood clot in his leg, which has led to him having lymph edema, causing his legs to swell. Metro Times' Larry Gabriel wrote an article about him a few months ago:

http://metrotimes.com/columns/big-da...ness-1.1051135

Possible police raids do not seem to be a worry to anybody but Ferris and his staff. As for loitering, since it's illegal for med marijuana patients to smoke in public, I doubt they'll be hanging around. And I'd say most of the people who join compassion clubs are like Ferris; they have health problems that smoking medical marijuana relieves.

I understand your concerns; a new business opening up, one you haven't had any experience with, one that may seem illicit if not illegal. But I also want to encourage you to keep an open mind, engage with the owners, and see what happens. They could turn out to be quite good neighbors. I know Ferris' other business dealings in hydroponic equipment have been on the up and up.

I know that in some Oakland County raids, cops forged medicinal cards that ordinary citizens would not be able to make without government machines. This is how they "caught" the stores selling to unlicensed people. The ACLU is currently challenging some of those cases

Have you considered talking to Rick Ferris? He's "Big Daddy." And it's not some kind of underworld nickname; see, he got that nickname from a blood clot in his leg, which has led to him having lymph edema, causing his legs to swell. Metro Times' Larry Gabriel wrote an article about him a few months ago:

http://metrotimes.com/columns/big-da...ness-1.1051135

Possible police raids do not seem to be a worry to anybody but Ferris and his staff. As for loitering, since it's illegal for med marijuana patients to smoke in public, I doubt they'll be hanging around. And I'd say most of the people who join compassion clubs are like Ferris; they have health problems that smoking medical marijuana relieves.

I understand your concerns; a new business opening up, one you haven't had any experience with, one that may seem illicit if not illegal. But I also want to encourage you to keep an open mind, engage with the owners, and see what happens. They could turn out to be quite good neighbors. I know Ferris' other business dealings in hydroponic equipment have been on the up and up.
    Thanks for the link. I must admit the name "Big Daddy" did put me off at first.
    I guess all I can do is sit tight and see what happens. I hope my concerns for this business in what's left of my neighborhood are unfounded.