Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Eddie Kirkland Killed in Auto Accident

Eddie Kirkland, who played second guitar behind John Lee Hooker for over a decade, was killed in a tragic auto accident this past weekend. Does anybody have any memories of his playing the Detroit area?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Kirkland

Wow. I saw him just a few months ago at the Painted Lady. Dude had more life than some folks a quarter his age! When I heard he died, I couldn't believe it -- until I heard it was a car wreck...

That's so sad. I've seen Eddie playing around town for years and years. He will be missed.

May he rest in peace.

Rest in pease Eddie.

Eddie was a Gold Standard for blues - after you heard Kirkland live, younger guys [[or guys with tons of technique but not many stories to tell) didn't seem so "real". Eddie's stuff hit you right in the gut, his stories were familiar but freshly minted each performance.
    Willie Dixon said, "The blues is the facts of everyday life" and Eddie Kirkland helped write that book...