Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GUSHI Guest

Default Anyone know what the Archdioese of Detroit does with the interior content of churchs

I was just curious if the AOD auctions off the pews, statues, furniture of closed churchs, rectories and so on, once they are closed.

Well, I've never known the Catholic Church to miss out on making a buck when it's there to be made.

GUSHI Guest

I went w/ my wife to church today, and I was thinking a church pew would look pretty great in my foyer. I would really like one from one of the old closed Catholic parishes in Detroit, so I atleast know some of the history of the pew. Any help would be appreciated.

GUSHI Guest

I wish I would of took one from Resurrection on Miller in Detroit when it closed[[1989), but I did get a crucifix from the old school. I was a altar boy there.

I know that they are removing the stained glass from some closed churches and storing it to preserve it.

Since a church building is usually sold to another church, pews are part of the transfer. Classically Catholic things are picked up by other churches in the AoD. Archiectural items are stored and re-used. Baptismal fonts usually follow the merged congregation. Chalices etc often go to mission churches.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    I wish I would of took one from Resurrection on Miller in Detroit when it closed[[1989), but I did get a crucifix from the old school. I was a altar boy there.
    My grandmother went to that church for around 50 years. My mom and dad were married there in the early 50's.

When were you an alter boy at resurrection? My grandmother was the short, round, Polish looking woman with a babushka. Maybe you remember her?

Heh, that was MY grandmother at Holy Redeemer.

I was an altar boy at St. Alphonsus, back in the day, and I tell ya...those babushka-wearing grannies had some sort of 6:30 a.m. cult meet-up. Every day, they'd be there.

Cheers!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    My grandmother went to that church for around 50 years. My mom and dad were married there in the early 50's.

When were you an alter boy at resurrection? My grandmother was the short, round, Polish looking woman with a babushka. Maybe you remember her?
    You've just described the majority of Polish grandmothers in Detroit... ;-)

GUSHI Guest

1988 and 1989, Alot of Polish woman back then lol, sorry I don't remember

Do you know when the school closed?

My grandmother moved out of the Mt Elliot and Miller area in 1985.
    She got mugged a few times whlie walking to a party store on ME and had to get out.
    I'll never forget the tears flowing down her face the day she left that area. She lived there from 1933 to 1985

GUSHI Guest

Im not sure when the school closed down but i'm guessing late 60's or early 70's.Church closed in 1989 and then became a mosk.
    Do you know when the school closed?

My grandmother moved out of the Mt Elliot and Miller area in 1985.
    She got mugged a few times whlie walking to a party store on ME and had to get out.
    I'll never forget the tears flowing down her face the day she left that area. She lived there from 1933 to 1985

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    I was just curious if the AOD auctions off the pews, statues, furniture of closed churchs, rectories and so on, once they are closed.
    All records get archived. The statues, vestments, sacramental vessels, altar linens, stations, crucifix's, pictures, altars, candle holders, kneelers, chairs, bells, holy water fonts, etc. are inventoried. Pictures of items are placed on the AoD website and parishes in the vicariate of the closed parish get first shot at them. The pastor must request a pin number in order to view items. Nothing is open to the general public. They have to make sure all items will be in a cared for in a religious environment so no sacrilege is committed.

The relic in the altar also is inventoried at archives for reuse.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    All records get archived. The statues, vestments, sacramental vessels, altar linens, stations, crucifix's, pictures, altars, candle holders, kneelers, chairs, bells, holy water fonts, etc. are inventoried. Pictures of items are placed on the AoD website and parishes in the vicariate of the closed parish get first shot at them. The pastor must request a pin number in order to view items. Nothing is open to the general public. They have to make sure all items will be in a cared for in a religious environment so no sacrilege is committed.

The relic in the altar also is inventoried at archives for reuse.
    This issue came up when St. Brendan and Guardian Angels closed on the east side. and, yes, as you stated, the artifacts were sent to other parishes. ....On a related note concerning relics..the St. Jude thread posed the question about relics...Where do the parishes acquire the relics? from the AOD? If so, where does the AOD acquire the relics? There is a sealed relic of St. Jude in the inside cornerstone? We are trying to find out if it is a first degree or second degree relic. Any information regarding this inquiry would be greatly appreciated!

GUSHI Guest

Thanks for everyone's feedback, I emailed the AOD, but i'm still waiting for a reply.

When Guardian Angels Church at Mayfield and Kelly closed, the statue of the guardian angel outside the parrish office went to Sacred Heart Cemetery in Roseville.

GUSHI Guest

Thanks I will def ck it out,
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post

They try to store the stuff away before it gets carted off by crooks. Sometimes they aren't fast enough.
    There was a time when you could walk into a church and they were always open ...no more.

Default ....aod

Some of the church buildings in the archdiocese become warehouses. A letter from an active parish could help in the pursuit of fixtures [[pews etc.). Patience is the byword in respect to receiving a response. Like everything else these days staffs are lean and multi tasked, no different for the AOD....

GUSHI Guest

I emailed the AOD Sunday and still no respone.

I do not know if you have a specific name in your request to AOD. Sometimes having an individual to address the request to expedites the process.

"I emailed the AOD Sunday and still no respone. "

Not to be overly instructive here - but I've read twice above that the AoD does not make church furnishings available for sale to the general public.

The best advice I've seen is also right here: ask a priest or someone at a local parish to make an introduction to you to the department that oversees the furnishings. I believe that some are stored in St. Martin's church on the lower east side.

LodgeDodger Guest

If the items have been blessed, they cannot be sold.

GUSHI Guest

Churches get blessed and they are sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    If the items have been blessed, they cannot be sold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast