Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Whew, what's going on in Macomb county?

May 14, 2009

Blacks leaving Wayne County

Census shows 8.9% loss from 2000-08

BY KRISTI TANNER
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
    Wayne County continues to lose its African-American population, while Macomb County has seen a dramatic increase in African-American residents, according to new U.S. census figures released today.
    The African-American population in Wayne County decreased by 77,535 people, or 8.9%, between 2000 and 2008. Among African Americans age 19 and younger, the decline doubled to nearly 18%.
    The white non-Hispanic population decreased by 6.3%, or by 66,284 people, in Wayne County over this period, while the Asian and Hispanic populations grew. The amount of Asians increased by 27% or 9,836 people, while Hispanic residents jumped to nearly 29% or 22,069 people.
    An analysis by Kurt Metzger, a demographer and director of the Detroit Area Community Information System, found that Macomb County saw an increase of roughly 195% in its African-American population between 2000 and 2008. The increase was even sharper -- 231% -- among African Americans age 19 and younger.
    These population shifts are attributable primarily to school-related decision-making and "cry out for more regional solutions," said Metzger, who noted that Michigan's younger population as a whole continues to decrease.
    State demographer Ken Darga predicted a rebound in the Michigan population as the children of baby boomers start having children. Those children now are roughly 13-23 years old.
    Contact KRISTI TANNER: ktanner@freepress.com or 313-222-8877 • CENSUS DATABASE: Age, race and gender by U.S. county

I've hung out at a bunch of bars and nightclubs in Warren, Shelby Township, Sterling Heights and Clinton Township. The nightlife for younger people in Macomb County seems to be a lot better than Oakland County, so does it's cost of living. Their school systems aren't quite as established as the Grosse Pointe and West Bloomfield districts. If they ever get there, Macomb County may end up being the best county in the state.
    Last edited by kraig; May-14-09 at 11:11 AM.

Kraig... I think you need to use blank lines in your posts... otherwise that post shows some ambiguity... having a hard time differentiating comments that may be yours versus being article related...

Are those your own personal feelings about Macomb Co. bar scene? Or someone posting an online reply to the article?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Kraig... I think you need to use blank lines in your posts... otherwise that post shows some ambiguity... having a hard time differentiating comments that may be yours versus being article related...

Are those your own personal feelings about Macomb Co. bar scene? Or someone posting an online reply to the article?

That's me. I normally triple space between the story and my comments. I guess I hadn't done that.

Gotcha kraig!!

As a SCS resident, there are quite a few hangouts here in town... both for younger and older crowds...

Macomb County is cheap. That's where much of the new building was going on during the real estate bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Macomb County is cheap. That's where much of the new building was going on during the real estate bubble.

That means it's affordable. Any good Mexican restaurants?

kraig:
    Don Carlos, at 14 Mi Rd & Gratiot, next to Alibi Inn has Mexican food. I'm no expert, but have enjoyed meals there in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    That means it's affordable.
    Yeah... it also helped to further depress the Detroit area housing market.

El Charro at 22401 Harper in SCS is quite delicious.

This thread seems to have taken a strangely positive turn; based on the content of the article posted I was expecting some racially-charged suburbs vs. city stuff. But this is better.

Well, Macomb County is now going to hell. Time to pack up, ship out, and relocate to St. Clair County before property values drop.

gravitymachine Guest

black people like good schools and city services too

it means all my neighbors aren't white anymore..it make me happy

Default Blacks leaving Wayne County

Here's a link to the original article: Blacks leaving Wayne County.

I think it's a healthy development for Macomb County. Sorry for Wayne County's loss though.

This isn't news. African Americans have been on the move in metro Detroit since at least the beginning of the 20th century. This is a continuation of a trend that is over a century old.

People move to where they feel they have the best chance to prosper. As the living conditions in Detroit go from bleak to bleaker, its residents look for opportunities to relocate to areas that give them a better chance at a decent quality of life.

It would be news if the white community could deal with black migration better than we did over the last 100 years. I recall a story in the Free Press or News about a year ago about how the Reuther is becoming the "new" Eight Mile Road in Warren. In other words, the neighborhoods south of the Reuther are in "decline." I think we all know what constitutes a "decline" in metro Detroit.

So, will the cycle be unbroken? African American families move across Eight Mile because they want a better life. White residents migrate away from them north of the Reuther and take their wealth with them out of the community. Quality of life declines in neighborhoods that go "black" as resources drain north. The old stereotypes metastasize. Fear prevails and undermines the strength of our region.

I am concerned that most poeple in Macomb will read this story with fear rather than look at it as an opportunity to become a region whose strength is in diversity.

If you don't mind living in a place where the political and court systems are corrupt to the core, Macomb County is fine, I guess.

Yeah... it also helped to further depress the Detroit area housing market.

Detroit needs to learn how to compete in a competitive world. Besides, a lot of people that are leaving Detroit would stay if they felt that the City of Detroit was putting in an honest effort.

Detroit has done more to depress the Detroit area housing market than anyone else. We need to accept responsibility for this and do what we can to fix. Like I've stated before, the difference between the Liar and the Deluded Person is that the Liar only lies to other people.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_wall View Post
    El Charro at 22401 Harper in SCS is quite delicious.

This thread seems to have taken a strangely positive turn; based on the content of the article posted I was expecting some racially-charged suburbs vs. city stuff. But this is better.

Nah, forget all that racial stuff. There are too many opportunities missed in life as it is. Why manufacture your own?

I'm sure someone is going to come along and bring race into it, but hey, it's a free country and that's on them.

By the way, thank you guys for the restaurant info. If anybody ever gets the chance, check out Sajo's on Gratiot or Moravian right by Metro Parkway. Their steaks are as good as Mario's and Andiamo's.
    Last edited by kraig; May-14-09 at 01:11 PM.

Detroit needs to learn how to compete in a competitive world. Besides, a lot of people that are leaving Detroit would stay if they felt that the City of Detroit was putting in an honest effort.

Detroit has done more to depress the Detroit area housing market than anyone else. We need to accept responsibility for this and do what we can to fix. Like I've stated before, the difference between the Liar and the Deluded Person is that the Liar only lies to other people.
    How does the city of Detroit control builders in Macomb County from flooding the local housing market with excess housing? Housing that every person in Metro Detroit will eventually pay for by way of infrastructure extensions, and/or depressed property values...

How does the city of Detroit control builders in Macomb County from flooding the local housing market with excess housing? Housing that every person in Metro Detroit will eventually pay for by way of infrastructure extensions, and/or depressed property values...

Oh, I get it now. It's not the City of Detroit's fault for doing little or next to nothing to improve the conditions that are causing people to move out. It's the builders fault for recognizing this and building affordable housing in order to capitalize on this fact. So going with your logic, since the Utica, Lanse Cruese, Warren Consolidated and Fraser school systems do a good job of educating their students and operating their systems, it's their fault that DPS sucks and is closing 29 schools? Wow.

Macomb County is Ugly. Its all pulte homes and such. Oakland and Wayne are much nicer looking with the different housing styles and history. I would never move to Macomb County.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Well, Macomb County is now going to hell. Time to pack up, ship out, and relocate to St. Clair County before property values drop.

You are obviously a racist asshole or just terrified of living in a mixed community. Which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Macomb County is Ugly. Its all pulte homes and such. Oakland and Wayne are much nicer looking with the different housing styles and history. I would never move to Macomb County.

I saw some very nice houses in Shelby Township. In fact, while passing through they seemed to look a lot better and provide a lot more yard space than the homes I saw in nearby Rochester Hills, which is in Oakland County. I'm pretty sure the homes are more affordable too. Additionally, Oakland County has too many power outtages for me. I think there are some serious infrastructure issues that need to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    You are obviously a racist asshole or just terrified of living in a mixed community. Which is it?
    How about "facetious asshole"?

I saw some very nice houses in Shelby Township. In fact, while passing through they seemed to look a lot better and provide a lot more yard space than the homes I saw in nearby Rochester Hills....
    Yes, there are some quite large, even ostentatious, homes in the exurbs of Macomb County. Somewhat impressive. The downside is that many are owned by Mafiosi.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    If you don't mind living in a place where the political and court systems are corrupt to the core, Macomb County is fine, I guess.

You aren't going to have a political system that doesn't have some form of corruption. No one has cornered the market on that. Hell, drunk driving is a felony, but, you've never seen L. Brooks brought up on charges, unless the should have been arresting officer charged him for the ride home. But, everything being relative, the level of corruption one might see in Macomb County after living in Detroit is miniscule.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast