Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: Would $4-a-gallon gasoline cause you to cut back on driving?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 57.69%
  • No

11 42.31%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Would $4-a-gallon gasoline cause you to cut back on driving?

Would $4-a-gallon gasoline cause you to cut back on driving?

Myself? I don't think I could cut my driving anymore than I already have, without better transit options in and around Detroit.

GUSHI Guest

The price of gas is disgusting, I have a suv, it may not cause a "cut back" on my driving. but I can tell you I would defintely use my wife sedan more often, when possible.

I think I cut back when it hit about $3 a gallon. It made me think about usage more and I think that was a good thing. I'm way more efficient about making fewer trips to accomplish the same number of tasks.

Yes, I'll cut back, some more - again.

I've already cut back. My Mustang GT is literally growing cobwebs in the garage.

So sad.

I do expect to resurrect it someday. That is one helluva car.

I'm with you DetroitDad. I've cut down all the driving I can. I just about choked when I filled up my Jeep for $60 yesterday. I'm not looking forward to spending $80 after next payday which is where it may be at the rate it's rising again.

As part of our work, my wife and I put on about 600 miles a week. I don't think we can cut back on our driving [[our gas is paid for by the company), but we've altered which cars we use. I know this is backward, but for long trips we take the Buick [[a 2000 Buick Century) that gets almost 30 mpg highway. It's a dog in town though, so for shorter trips, the 200 Kia, which does 30 mph city is the vheicle of choice. I suspect the motorcycle will get more work use this summer, too.

Already $4 where I live. The good news... I don't drive anymore. The bad news.... My monthly fee for car rental with "free gas" is about to go up

$1.25 before 9/11.

OPEC said they would make up for any loss of volume from Libya.

Where's the other $2.75 per gallon going?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    $1.25 before 9/11.

OPEC said they would make up for any loss of volume from Libya.

Where's the other $2.75 per gallon going?
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110228/...guinea_yacht_1

Yes, I 'have' cut back which really hurts as I my employment and lifestyle depend on my ability to get out of the city regularly. I just plan my trips more carefully to do all I need when in a certain area in one trip with less back and forth. I don't do super tiny cars, but my next smaller-medium size car needs to be a four-cylinder! My V6 sedan is a gas guzzler. I know folks with SUVs and V8 are feeling the gas price increase!
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Would $4-a-gallon gasoline cause you to cut back on driving?

Myself? I don't think I could cut my driving anymore than I already have, without better transit options in and around Detroit.

Wow, indeed to keep a GT 'growling' you have to have a bank roll. I've liked the power of a V6 in my car, but resuming to the 4-Cyl life as soon as possible. LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I've already cut back. My Mustang GT is literally growing cobwebs in the garage.

So sad.

I do expect to resurrect it someday. That is one helluva car.

Well it's time to take the bus. I'm looking forward for more ridership on SMART and D-DOT in the coming months.

I cut back a long time ago. 90% of my driving is for work and related matters. I started downsizing vehicles in the mid-90's, until I bought my highly fuel efficient compact auto in 2003. I planned to buy a Prius but they were new to the market and unavailable for lengthy periods of time. Without mass transit, unlikely to be seriously available in my lifetime, I have nowhere else to go. I love a day when I don't have to start my auto.

I started driving 65mph on freeways, instead of 70-75mph that I used to drive....here is a stat that I found. Use 1.85 gallons @ 70mph
    Use 1.45 gallons @ 65mph
    Just sayin....this is just an average, your consumption may be higher or lower

I don't do any un-necessary driving.
    I drive to work and back, to the gym and the weekly shopping.
    If the price changes, my driving won't.

IMO OPEC needs to be broken. We [[the US) don't even barely get any gas from the Middle East anymore, but because oil is sold on the global market under OPEC, we suffer as a result.

"I'm as much concerned that the demonstrations and civil unrest in Wisconsin has caused the price of cheese to go through the roof." -- Jay Leno
    Last edited by Ray1936; February-28-11 at 05:06 PM. Reason: mumblefingers

How much are you paying? I'm in Wisconsin and paid $3.45 for regular today.

GUSHI Guest

3.45 in shelby twp
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    How much are you paying? I'm in Wisconsin and paid $3.45 for regular today.

DetroitDad Guest

I found it for $3.33 at a gas station on Plymouth Road in Northwest Detroit.

Get used to it. You ain't seen nothing yet. And, stop blaming OPEC.

I'm an oil producer. These are very good times for people in the oil production business.

For over 2 years Nancy Pelosi, Ken Geithner, and Obama have articulated their policy in connection with their efforts to save the planet. Obama in particular hates the petroleum bsiness. In March '09 Geither in a presentation to a joint congressional committee on taxation asserted that all so-called tax breaks for oil producers should be eliminated. He stated that the use of fossil fuels is ruining the planet and the Administration's policy is that gasoline in the U.S. should be priced between $6 and $8 per gallon as it is in Europe [[It's closer to $10/gal today.) The reason: high prices will force consumers to buy smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles and will simulate spending on alternative fuel sources. He stated that voters would never stand for increased fuel taxes as they do in Europe so gasoline prices here would be increased by restricting production wherever possible, administratively.

The Administration is following through. It has restricted or prevented drilling in large onshore areas of the continent, the Gulf of Mexico, and offshore Alaska [[where most Alaskan oil s now found) and all other offshore areas. Last week a Federal Court judge held the Dept. of Interior i contempt for not issuing drilling permits in the Gulf, as he had ordered. [[It issued one permit today.)

Now, this is great for me and other small oil producers. The less oil produced here means the prices I get are much higher than they should be. Obama is the oil producer's best friend, that is producers who don't produce offshore or in the deeper basins of the U.S. West.

Take solice in the act that y'all are not the only citizens getting screwed by the idiots in Washington. There are about 80,000 oil workers in the Gulf states and AK who are still out of work after almst a year.

This country is a disgrace and I am almost feeling guilty of profiting from the madness. [[Operative word: almost.)

$3.49.9 in Las Vegas for the name brands [[Shell, Chevron), maybe a dime or twelve cents cheaper in the off-brands [[Arco, etc).

Being retired, daily driving is not necessary for me and the wife, so we'll probably cope with the immediate future no differently. I'm happy with my '08 Ford Escape 4-cyl that gives me 25 mpg city driving. However, we'll make it a point to combine trips when possible and avoid a drive or two during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    I started driving 65mph on freeways, instead of 70-75mph that I used to drive....here is a stat that I found. Use 1.85 gallons @ 70mph
    Use 1.45 gallons @ 65mph
    My girlfriend has had similar results with her commute of about 20 miles round trip in her Pontiac Vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Use 1.45 gallons @ 65mph
    I sure hope that you're in the far right hand lane, or the price of gas wont be a problem anymore, you'll be dead from getting hit in the rear end...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast