Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Picture Problem

Default Picture Problem

I continually have problems uploading pictures from my flash drives to this website! I have great pictures and have been trying to post pictures of the inside of Munger Middle School but I cant because of the error that I get when I upload. This has always been a problem for me on this website, even with the older forum. I struggle and its frustrating because I want to share my pictures. I now get some message that says my picture size dimentions are 1928x2874 and the size limit is much smaller like 680x680. Like I know what the hell this means and I have no idea what to do.....please help me, you guys have to see my pictures!

If you have a copy of Photoshop, you could open up your pictures in it and then go to the File in menu bar, choose Save For Web and it will give you a 2up or 4up choice of reduced sizes.
    If you dont have photoshop, I suppose you have a photo editor bit of software you loaded when you got your camera or one that is native to your computer. If you have a mac, you're using iphoto, so open it up, go to File menu, and choose export, in which case you will be able to resize and choose a destination on the web.

IrfanView is often recommended here for resizing images. It's free. If you limit your use of it to just resizing images, it's not as complex as it looks.

Also, see DetroitYES Forums >> How to Use this forum - Tips and Illustrations >> How to attach and then insert an image into a post

Everyone loves photos. Thanks in advance for yours!

DetroitDad Guest

It means that the picture is too big. You may be able to save them in a different size through the camera. Otherwise, you will have to resize them yourself. I am assuming you are using Windows. The easiest way to resize a picture is probably to open up Microsoft Paint, the standard photo editing program that comes with Windows.

1. It is usually found in the Accessories folder under your Start Menu [[bottom left of the screen).
    2. Open your picture in Paint.
    3. Open the resize window, it will usually be under a menu entitled Image, which varies in location, depending on your version of Windows.
    4. Select and resize your image.

On computers, images are measured in a unit of measurement called "pixels". That 680 x 680 number is referring to the pixels. Cameras and scanners take pictures by breaking the image into many smaller images. Each image is then given an address location, or where to display themselves, and that is a pixel. In other words, pixels are comparable to stadium photo stunts, with each person in the crowd representing a pixel.

I agree with all of this... additionally, try downloading the photos from the flash drive FIRST to the computer you are using THEN edit and upload, or just try to upload them. I find that flash drives can be balky when trying to upload files from them. The flash drive could be near capacity and hat would slow it access and transfer speed down considerably.
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    If you have a copy of Photoshop, you could open up your pictures in it and then go to the File in menu bar, choose Save For Web and it will give you a 2up or 4up choice of reduced sizes.
    If you dont have photoshop, I suppose you have a photo editor bit of software you loaded when you got your camera or one that is native to your computer. If you have a mac, you're using iphoto, so open it up, go to File menu, and choose export, in which case you will be able to resize and choose a destination on the web.

I love this graphic DD... perfect image to illustrate your explanation of how pixels make up a photo. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    It means that the picture is too big. You may be able to save them in a different size through the camera. Otherwise, you will have to resize them yourself. I am assuming you are using Windows. The easiest way to resize a picture is probably to open up Microsoft Paint, the standard photo editing program that comes with Windows.

1. It is usually found in the Accessories folder under your Start Menu [[bottom left of the screen).
    2. Open your picture in Paint.
    3. Open the resize window, it will usually be under a menu entitled Image, which varies in location, depending on your version of Windows.
    4. Select and resize your image.

On computers, images are measured in a unit of measurement called "pixels". That 680 x 680 number is referring to the pixels. Cameras and scanners take pictures by breaking the image into many smaller images. Each image is then given an address location, or where to display themselves, and that is a pixel. In other words, pixels are comparable to stadium photo stunts, with each person in the crowd representing a pixel.

Are there really that many little people holding up pixel cards inside my computer? Damn! No wonder Watson got to win at Jeopardy...

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Are there really that many little people holding up pixel cards inside my computer? Damn! No wonder Watson got to win at Jeopardy...
    No, that's how his works. Your computer works more like this:

I wouldnt mind living inside a computer if I got to wear one of them suits!

Load your pictures on Flickr.com....after it's loaded..go to Edit...then select and re-size the picture to any size you want..then you can save it on your Desktop...and load it on DetroitYes....