Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Bust and Booms

Not sure if there is a thread on this or not, but I could not find it.

I know Detroit has been through this cycle before with professions and industries such as the fur trade, logging, and automotive been the last and greatest. To thoughs who know our regional history, what has been the past booms and busts of our home town?

I think a new boom will be built on the old although auto will still likely have a long term presence here. I do wonder if agriculture might be part of it, but it is only a guess. Our access to water and good transportation routes has been important in all industries and I suspect the same will be true in the future.

Your input is appreciated.

Water is definitely key.

The problem with transportation routes is that Detroit isn't where Toledo is. We're geographically down a dead-end peninsula when someone is traveling one way or the other across the United States. I think that is one reason that Chicago is slightly advantaged... they are well positioned for at least East/West routes with no detours.

On the other hand, we do have a nice proximity to Canada, if we can stop treating that connection like the Afghanistan/Pakistan border.
    Last edited by East Detroit; February-27-11 at 01:12 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Water is definitely key.

The problem with transportation routes is that Detroit isn't where Toledo is. We're geographically down a dead-end peninsula when someone is traveling one way or the other across the United States. I think that is one reason that Chicago is slightly advantaged... they are well positioned for at least East/West routes with no detours.

On the other hand, we do have a nice proximity to Canada, if we can stop treating that connection like the Afghanistan/Pakistan border.
    Maybe, but I wouldn't downplay the importance of one of the busiest boarder crossings in the country. It is for that reason that Michigan is actually a "through state"

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Maybe, but I wouldn't downplay the importance of one of the busiest boarder crossings in the country. It is for that reason that Michigan is actually a "through state"
    How much of that is cargo which originates or terminates in the Detroit area? How much is crossing the border to go elsewhere in the west?

There could be value added to being on this line though. We can be the center of both trade and manufacturing between Canada and the US. The problem lies however in so much of the crap bought in Canada and the US is made in China, Eastern Europe, or off the Indian Ocean.

What we need to do is concentrate on things where transport costs are high. We will never compete on things if they can be made for pennies elsewhere in the world.