Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Teen Dance Shows/Looking for Participants

For a book on televised teen dance shows of the 1950s and 1960s, I am hoping to locate anyone connected with these programs:

Detroit Bandstand
    Ed McKenzie's Saturday Dance Party
    Bud Davies' Dance Party
    Club 1270
    Teen Town
    Swingin' Time

I am a dance historian at New York University. Any reminiscences, memories, or anecdotes about performing on the shows or working behind the scenes will be welcomed. Former dancers, producers, DJs, cameramen: I hope to hear from you!

Please respond to this thread or email me privately at jmm2@nyu.edu.

Julie M.
    Last edited by Julie; February-27-11 at 12:32 PM.

you might want to check with the alumni association at DPS. They can be contacted on DPS's wesbite.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    For a book on televised teen dance shows of the 1950s and 1960s, I am hoping to locate anyone connected with these programs:

Detroit Bandstand
    Ed McKenzie's Saturday Dance Party
    Bud Davies' Dance Party
    Teen Town
    Swingin' Time

I am a dance historian at New York University. Any reminiscences, memories, or anecdotes about performing on the shows or working behind the scenes will be welcomed. Former dancers, producers, DJs, cameramen: I hope to hear from you!

Please respond to this thread or email me privately at jmm2@nyu.edu.

Julie M.
    Why not Club 1270?

Julie...Club 1270 should definitely be included. You should place this request on Soulful Detroit. Many former dancers/performers.participants from those shows have posted on that forum from time to time.

Thank you [[and Steve). Meant to include Club 1270--was an oversight. And thanks for the tip regarding Soulful Detroit. / Julie

You may want to google '' Detroit Memories '' [[I don't think they allow the link here ) they also have a link to the Detroit Memories facebook site where I'm pretty sure there are people who danced on those shows . The creator of the site is Eileen if you want to contact her maybe she could help . I belong to both sites

I remember Club 1270 was on Saturday night. One of the dj's was fired because he was caught drunk driving. If I heard their names I would remember. They were both DJ's on WXYZ. I'm guessing this was 1964. I remember watching another show on tv from Philly, I think. It was called the Loyld Thaxton Show. Does anyone remember that show.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    I If I heard their names I would remember. They were both DJ's on WXYZ.
    Lee Alan? Joel Sebastian?