Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

I like the idea a lot. However...

'Just where the Walk of Fame winds up remains to be seen, and the commission is studying several ideas. Plaques might be concentrated in a single downtown district or spread in pockets across the city.

"It's still in flux, but right now we like the idea of breaking it up, so people will visits different parts of town," said Bennett. "There could be a stretch in front of the Motown Museum, in front of the medical center, along Campus Martius." '

My thought: DO NOT break it up. Put them all in one area. I don't care where, just don't spread them out. Having nice areas too spread out seems to be a problem in Detroit. Cocentrate all these plaques in one area and call it good.

Hmm, I wonder what gave them the idea for "online donation campaigns."

Downtown --NO! NO! NO!

If anywhere, along E. Grand Blvd.

If not there, pick another spot that was big for developing music.

if im at Burts on Broadway, Cliff Bells on Park Ave, or at a cuban cigar bar in Harmony Park, a tribute to detroits musical history right outside would create a senergy thats missing downtown.

I must be in a cynical mood today, but this just cries out as a scapper walk-of-claim. Easy pickens'.

It would be a terrible idea for it to be along Grand Blvd. The best option would be Woodward stretching from Campus Martius to Grand Circus Park.

Unless you have armed guards around it, this will will a walk away walk of fame.

Quote Originally Posted by begingri View Post
    My thought: DO NOT break it up. Put them all in one area. I don't care where, just don't spread them out. Having nice areas too spread out seems to be a problem in Detroit. Cocentrate all these plaques in one area and call it good.
    I agree. I'll go as far as to say that it actually needs to be in the same area for it to be successful.

I'm not in favor of a Walk of Fame with the traditional plaques in the sidewalk or in a single location.

If the idea is pay tribute to a notable person for their contributions to our city's people and municipal legacy, I'd recommend doing something like Chicago's Tribute Markers of Distinction [[http://www.chicagotribute.org/), which are placed near a site meaningful to that person. And each marker tells a story.

My fear is that the program will get underway with its inaugural class of inductees, go on for two or three years, and then run out of money or interest, leaving an unfulfilled and unmaintained walk.

I hope that the organizers of Detroit's effort think about all the possibilities and how to make this a longterm program and attraction.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Downtown --NO! NO! NO!

If anywhere, along E. Grand Blvd.

If not there, pick another spot that was big for developing music.
    It's too bad Hastings is no longer...

I love this idea. Funny enough, I had this idea and expressed it to my wife months ago. I think the best location for something like this would be Woodward from Hart Plaza going north as far as it makes sense to go. I would also put it along Hart Plaza at Jefferson since Detroit needs to continue to draw people to the water.

Quote Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
    It would be a terrible idea for it to be along Grand Blvd. The best option would be Woodward stretching from Campus Martius to Grand Circus Park.
    I agree. That way no one will step on it.

DetroitDad Guest

Cross post. Consideration should be given to combine these two projects.

RoboCop State Thread