Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Help an Italian Student Find Inexpensive Accommodations near Wayne State.

This came in the email bag this morning. Let's help out.

Dear Sirs,

I am Andrea **** and I am coming to Detroit within March 7th as a Short-term Visting cholar at Wayne State University.

I would need, quite urgently, to find an accomodation, and I wanted to know some agency which I can contact.

That because the Wayne State University Housing Office is too expensive [[they offere me one bedroom unit at 1100 dollars) and I would like to look for something cheaper.

Thanks,

Andrea *****
    I have replied as follows and will post replies.

Welcome to Detroit Andrea. Tell me more about your needs. I am going to guess you will need a furnished [bed, desk and chair, refrigerator and stove at a minimum] space and probably walkable to Wayne State. Would you consider being a housemate -- sharing a house or apartment with one or more people? Sharing is generally that least expensive but you will may need to provide your own bed.

Augustiner Guest

Are you sure this person is a she? I think "Andrea" is more commonly a male name in Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    Are you sure this person is a she? I think "Andrea" is more commonly a male name in Italian.
    No I am not and have changed my post to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, In Italy Andrea is effectively a male name.
    As for the housing, I am looking for a funrshed apartment with kitchen, stove, refrigeratore and a laundry facility.It must be near Waymne State University. I would be well-disposed to share the apartment with other roommates.

Please suggest possible options.

Go to the link below....it's the Wayne State University office of International students, faculty, and visiting scholars...they will assist you with housing, medical, transportation, etc etc, and other needs you may have while you are here.

http://www.oiss.wayne.edu/international/index.php
    Last edited by EastsideQT; February-27-11 at 09:02 AM.

The student paper, The Southend, of WSU always seemed to be the best place for classified ads for apartments, shared places and other accommodations near the university. Looking at the website, I cannot see anything in their classifieds which tells me that the site may not be maintained. http://thesouthend.wayne.edu/index.php/

The International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit which is located near the university may be of help too. http://www.iimd.org/ But again nothing on the site regarding accommodations.

Unfortunately I am finding it difficult to search for this online. It seems to be a need waiting for someone to fill.

Does it matter they are Italian?

Go to the UCCA website - detroitmidtown.com - check under housing and properties.....lits listed from $300/month on up. Good luck!

How is it that WSU charges $1100 for dorms when off-campus is that much cheaper?