Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Coin Operated Spray Washes near downtown/midtown/corktown

I'm sick of taking my car through automated car washes as they kill your paint. Anyone know where to find a spray wash? Unless I'm not paying attention, I don't recall ever seeing one around here.
    Last edited by Planner3357; February-26-11 at 10:25 AM.

If by "spray wash", you mean self serve coin car washes, I did a search and the nearest coin car wash I could find in on Schaefer in Dearborn and then there's one on Mack & Conner.

Now if you're interested in a hand car washes then there are several in/around Downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    If by "spray wash", you mean self serve coin car washes, I did a search and the nearest coin car wash I could find in on Schaefer in Dearborn and then there's one on Mack & Conner.

Now if you're interested in a hand car washes then there are several in/around Downtown.
    Sorry...yes to clarify..coin operated. I know of the one you're talking about in Dearborn...too bad there's nothing closer.

I imagine they might be a good candidate for theft, though.

There's one on Michigan east of Livernois and also one right where Vernor and Dix split.

does any one have pics of Pauls car wash that was on Fort?

The closest, best and easiest is the coin wash on Conant between Holbrook and Caniff in Hamtramck. Right near Casmere.

I am pretty sure there is still one in the New Center area - I don't know the exact block or street name but it's just off Woodward [[west side), a few blocks north of Boston/Edison area. Yeah, I know, very vague.

Quote Originally Posted by tkierpiec View Post
    I am pretty sure there is still one in the New Center area - I don't know the exact block or street name but it's just off Woodward [[west side), a few blocks north of Boston/Edison area. Yeah, I know, very vague.
    I'm pretty sure that one is automated.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    I'm sick of taking my car through automated car washes as they kill your paint. Anyone know where to find a spray wash? Unless I'm not paying attention, I don't recall ever seeing one around here.
    Would buying your own power/pressure washer do? Or does that damage auto paint too?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    The closest, best and easiest is the coin wash on Conant between Holbrook and Caniff in Hamtramck. Right near Casmere.
    Really? I thought that closed. THere's another on Caniff near Gallagher.

Southfield Road, south of I-75, Lincoln Park. We aren't too far from Corktown.

Quote Originally Posted by tkierpiec View Post
    tkierpiec is right, I did find the coin car wash he's referencing, but it's actually south of Boston-Edison.

It's on Euclid between Woodward and 2nd ave [[close to Woodward). I'm not sure if it's still open though...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...105.03,,0,2.89

There's one on Wyoming in Dearborn just north of Warren, across the street from Subway and McDonald's. Right next to it is a drive in wash that you just drive your car into the stall after inserting your coins and that's it. The plastic curtain closes behind you and I guess the wash and dry apparatus moves back and forth. Your car is not pulled through like the standard drive throughs. When done you just drive out. I've never used it so I'm not exactly sure how it works or the cost.

There's another do it yourself on Tireman, [[Detroit side) between Schaefer and Greenfield. On the Dearborn side across the street is a regular automated wash.

DetroitDad Guest

My understanding is that these have largely been replaced by touchless car washes, which is what I thought you were talking about at first. There is one of those down West Jefferson, around River Rouge. You drive through them, while jets of cleaner, rinse water, and air spray from the tunnel.

I don't make it down there much. My old two door compact just isn't worth it.

GUSHI Guest

I think there is one in Hamtramck. Off of Conant, if i'm not mistaking.

There are three in Hamtramck. One on Caniff near Gallagher. Another on Conant, between Caniff and Casmere. The third is on Buffalo, just north of Holbrook,

I've been through this. It's half of one, six dozen of the other.

The only car washes that will harm modern paint within the normal life of a car are the ones that use nylon bristle brushes - and those are almost all gone. You can damage a car in any car washing situation [[including hand washing), though, if you scrub cement dust into the clearcoat. I am not sure about "touchless" being better - to avoid contact, that puts water at a much higher pressure on your car's paint - risking sandblasting it if there is any surface dirt.

Jax should be fine. Even the $3/5 on Jefferson is fine. And if your car's paint has been damaged by old-school washes or construction dust, you might as well leave it until it's time to sell [[have a wet-sand done for $100 or so and you are good to go).

On the other hand, hand washes tend to have contaminated scubbers [[people use them on their brake-dust-coated wheels - that's either iron, ceramic, asbestos, or all three), are awful to use during the winter, cost a lot [[the one down on Vernor/Dix can cost 4 more than a machine wash by the time you are done), and miss getting the salt film off the bottom of your car. That last part is a really big deal. You also need to carry a chamois in your car for drying, and that is a complete pain - since it has to dry somewhere.

Why does it wreck your paint? I would like to know. Same problem in my area. No quarter spray washers. I think the city thinks that are a bad element or something. Damn useful things if you ask me.

Yes, there's another one off Lonyo on Wyoming near Warren in Dearborn. Pretty safe local for self-spray car washing.....

I have a leaky windshield on my car which is why I use the self-spray ones... like the one up near border, but you have to find one that's safe...There's a really grim one up on Euclid near Woodward. Not recommended day or night though...
    Quote Originally Posted by SteadySky View Post
    Why does it wreck your paint? I would like to know. Same problem in my area. No quarter spray washers. I think the city thinks that are a bad element or something. Damn useful things if you ask me.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-27-11 at 02:11 PM.

tkierpiec is right, I did find the coin car wash he's referencing, but it's actually south of Boston-Edison.

It's on Euclid between Woodward and 2nd ave [[close to Woodward). I'm not sure if it's still open though...

I am a she but good to know I was on the right track ....

Umm, that's a very rough spot... that one is pretty raggedy, poorly lit and pretty dangerous corner... [[Euclid and Woodward)... Rough gas station on the corner. Drive by there and see for yourself. The one off Caniff is better.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    I've been through this. It's half of one, six dozen of the other.

The only car washes that will harm modern paint within the normal life of a car are the ones that use nylon bristle brushes - and those are almost all gone. You can damage a car in any car washing situation [[including hand washing), though, if you scrub cement dust into the clearcoat. I am not sure about "touchless" being better - to avoid contact, that puts water at a much higher pressure on your car's paint - risking sandblasting it if there is any surface dirt.

Jax should be fine. Even the $3/5 on Jefferson is fine. And if your car's paint has been damaged by old-school washes or construction dust, you might as well leave it until it's time to sell [[have a wet-sand done for $100 or so and you are good to go).

On the other hand, hand washes tend to have contaminated scubbers [[people use them on their brake-dust-coated wheels - that's either iron, ceramic, asbestos, or all three), are awful to use during the winter, cost a lot [[the one down on Vernor/Dix can cost 4 more than a machine wash by the time you are done), and miss getting the salt film off the bottom of your car. That last part is a really big deal. You also need to carry a chamois in your car for drying, and that is a complete pain - since it has to dry somewhere.
    Great post Huggybear! But, again, it's a little outdated. No one carries around a chamois anymore, not ever since the ShamWOW! has made it's debut on the market. It holds 10 times it's weight in liquid.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; February-27-11 at 02:43 PM.

GUSHI Guest

You may wanna get the window leak fixed before it rust [[if its not to late) like crazy and cost you alot more money, I use to work @ a body shop and its a costly repair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I have a leaky windshield on my car which is why I use the self-spray ones... like the one up near border, but you have to find one that's safe...There's a really grim one up on Euclid near Woodward. Not recommended day or night though...

You're right... the car is old [['93) so the death nails are ready hammering... the engine too a bit! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    You may wanna get the window leak fixed before it rust [[if its not to late) like crazy and cost you alot more money, I use to work @ a body shop and its a costly repair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast