Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Police Chief Godbee to announce full return of precinct system

http://tinyurl.com/47yyjhj

....I wonder how this will unfold as the Detroit Works Plan proposal is revealed, taking into account the impetus for neighborhood density.. in some cases hopefully some new facilities can be built or acquired..

Side note.. is John Bennett an active cop? In what division? What's been the brass's take on his blogging?

Well, the precinct at Fort and Waterman was converted into some type of office....really a nice renovation preserving all the beautiful architecture on the outside. The precinct in Mexicantown on Vernor just east of I-75 is still boarded up and covered in graffiti....so I guess that might still be available to the department to spend a ton of money on. Although the Southwest Public Safety center is pretty close, so maybe that'll be the new precinct office for that area.

5th Precinct torn down; 13th abandoned; 7th abandoned...I agree with Bennett that this will be the old precinct system in name only. There aren't enough cops to go around.

8th [[16th) is vandalized beyond recognition.

I know that the 9th and 5th both operate out of the Eastern District. There is a talk in the community that DPD is looking at purchasing a building for the 5th precinct that's not too far from where the old 5th used to be.

Its not like there are plenty of other buildings to pick from. The current West District is an old factory.