Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Rosemary Schlucter, "The Girl with The Eyes as Blue as Lake Erie."

I found this plea on craigslist.org:

"I'm going out on a limb here. My grandmother grew up in the Detroit area in the 1930's-1940's. She was a fairly famous singer in the area and recorded an unknown number of records and radio broadcasts. Her name was Rosemary Schlucter, and her nickname was "The Girl with The Eyes as Blue as Lake Erie."

Along with my grandfather, she raised me; my grandparents were my parents in the true sense of the word. These records were lost long before I came along and I have never seen or heard them. I have been trying for years to find them and since her passing, have become a bit obsessed with the idea. I've scoured the internet and feel like I've done everything I can without visiting Detroit and threatening anyone with any knowledge to give it up.

If you can think of any way to possibly track down ANY of her singing memorabilia [[radio broadcasts, records, flyers, ANYTHING) I would greatly appreciate it. If you ever heard her sing, please contact me. I am desperate to piece together this part of her life. Thanks."

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/wan/2231283323.html

It baffles me why someone would post a notice like that on Craigslist...where people post fake rental listings and look for victims to dupe [[or kill) over cel phone sales.

Interesting story, thanks...

An internet search comes up with nothing.

The person mentions that she was fairly famous.
    One possiblity is that this person may have exagerated their accomplishments. I guess it depends on how one defines fairly famous.

Hopefully that's not the case and this person can find something on their grandmother

Famous locally...her fame is long-forgotten, but is probably buried in the archives of local newspapers.

Craigslist or even Google will yield nothing ...

I hope them blue eyes refer to pre industrial lake erie...

Probably better off searching for Rosemarie Schlueter or Rosemarie Schlüter

I tried to find Rosemary Schlucter in any form using my modest interweb skills and came up empty. I would not be suprised if someone does though, I am always amazed by the people on DYes.

I'll ask Harry Jarkey about her. From the 1930s thru the 60s Harry performed at every hot spot in the Detroit area. He's 97 now, but still sharp as a tack.

I can never understand 'pfft'....why people here on this forum have to be so sarcastic, or even
    mean, or just plain indifferent, to the plight of others, and their 'STORY'.
    I personally think this is a good place to search for something or someone.
    People here seem to generally be a family of sorts, and CAN find a lot of their answers.
    So, why not simply offer up pertinent information, rather than fill the space with negativity.
    And now....I move on.

Here, there are several folks who could help in this query...but the granddaughter posted her request on craigslist ...that's what I was referring to...

The newspaper archives at the Detroit Public Library are the best shot, and Ed G. has a possible lead.

I imagine that the searcher did not know this for exists. She does know about craig's list Detroit and that turned out to be avoid idea because someone brought it over here.

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    I tried to find Rosemary Schlucter in any form using my modest interweb skills and came up empty. I would not be suprised if someone does though, I am always amazed by the people on DYes.
    Probably better off searching for Rosemarie Schlueter or Rosemarie Schlüter

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    I can never understand 'pfft'....why people here on this forum have to be so sarcastic...
    You mean like people who say "oh detroit" when complaining?

Even if I find information on this mystery girl singer, how do I contact her? The craigslist post has been removed. REL, since you originally posted this, do you have the contact info?

Unfortunately, no. The address was an anonymous one, anyway. I hope they found some answers

Yes, EastDetroit, I notice from your reply on the 'Fire Hydrant' thread
    that you really ARE bothered by the "Oh Detroit...." phrase.
    That's actually what I was referencing to, having just read and replied to the
    'Hydrant' thread. It WAS meant to be sarcastic, but I guess I just presumed all
    others would get it, apparently mistakenly.
    But I must say, the "Oh Detroit..." feeling of frustration I feel on a frequent basis,
    covering MANY issues [[living in this city), is predominate in my replies, and have the right, IMO, to vent these frustrations on this public forum, as I believe this is the perfect place to do so.
    Once, when I was reprimanded for laughing over an incident that had occurred
    between myself and my sister, my brother-in-law remarked that he didn't
    appreciate my laughing at his wife. I replied, "If I didn't laugh, I'd be crying."
    That's pretty much how I approach a lot of incidents which occur in our very
    troubled city lately. I prefer to laugh. It's better for my health, and my wife is
    a whole lot better off for it as well.
    I do admit though, to a leaning toward sarcasm, and for that, I apologize.
    Cheers.