Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Allen Park City Council wants to lay-off its Fire Department and EMS.

Bad news from the residents of Allen Park. The city council wants to lay off the entire fire department and EMS force. This is due to lack of money in their budget and its DOOMED TO FAILURE Unity One Studios. Residents urging the Mayor and its city council to step down while the city council is trying to figure out contacting other neighboring suburbs for fire and medical assistance.

Re Allen Park: Five years ago my next-door neighbors in SW Detroit sold their very nice, big, fully paid-for, house for the amazing amount of $115,000 [[big news then) and bought a tiny little house in Allen Park for $135,000. They were thrilled and a little gloating and said they should have left Detroit long ago !. The saga of the house they left behind was and is pretty sad - foreclosed, now a rental, etc. Going down fast. They seemed to have the made the best choice.
    But now Allen Park a pretty unsteady choice and I just looked up their house on zillow and it is valued at $69,000. So more than $60,000 underwater. So the real estate bubble was bad all around - it left my neighborhood with a bunch of rentals and what about the ones who moved away? I admit - a little schadenfreude here.

This sounds like part of the process for eventually seeking pay and benefits concessions from the APFD. I doubt they really intend to lay off the entire fire department.

And I also doubt that the failure of Unity Studios is the driving force behind the AP budget problems. Just how much money did they expect to receive from that project in 2011? No government should base their survival on expected revenue from a start up business in it's second year. And if they laid out too much up front cash for the studio people, then that's not just bad decision making on the city's part.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Re Allen Park: Five years ago my next-door neighbors in SW Detroit sold their very nice, big, fully paid-for, house for the amazing amount of $115,000 [[big news then) and bought a tiny little house in Allen Park for $135,000. They were thrilled and a little gloating and said they should have left Detroit long ago !. The saga of the house they left behind was and is pretty sad - foreclosed, now a rental, etc. Going down fast. They seemed to have the made the best choice.
    But now Allen Park a pretty unsteady choice and I just looked up their house on zillow and it is valued at $69,000. So more than $60,000 underwater. So the real estate bubble was bad all around - it left my neighborhood with a bunch of rentals and what about the ones who moved away? I admit - a little schadenfreude here.
    The house they bought is worth less than what they paid for it, but it shouldn't be underwater...

Their mortgage registered on Wayne County Land Records for $135,000 and house appraises for about $69,000? Isn't that underwater?

Allen Park, in the long term, is still a very good community to own and live in. It has it's problems like any and every other community in metro-Detroit, maybe the entire country. But it is well-managed, quiet and peaceful. Your example of what happened to your neighbors from SW Detroit, is mirrored by an example I experienced of friends from River Rouge who moved to northern Michigan. Big housing bubble, sell at the top, buy at the top and suffer problems as a result. It's hardly indicative of the problems our housing market is experiencing as a whole. And it seems to me if your former neighbors are still working, they at least have a means to continue owning their home. Most foreclosures are due to other extreme conditions, ie; extended unemployment, ruthlessness of mega-bank corporations, unpaid medical bills, etc. Unfortunately, Allen Park is doing the same thing EVERYONE in the good ole US is doing - blaming the working class and extracting an eye for eye from the people least responsible for this huge mess we're in. Working people, bye and bye, did not cause this mess - Wars and Wall Street. Wars and Wall Street. Wars and Wall Street. Repeat the mantra, Wars and Wall Street.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Their mortgage registered on Wayne County Land Records for $135,000 and house appraises for about $69,000? Isn't that underwater?
    Well, if they sold their house for $115K and bought the new house for $135K then they should only have owed $20K on the new house.

Sorry that i hijacked this thread but the AllenPark mortgage is for $135,000 [[as recorded). I don't know what they did with the $115,000 but they owe $135,000 on a house presently worth $69,000.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Allen Park, in the long term, is still a very good community to own and live in. It has it's problems like any and every other community in metro-Detroit, maybe the entire country. ut it is well-managed, quiet and peaceful.....
    Yes, well managed right into the ground. We'll see how peaceful things get without a fire department. Surely the residents feel at peace right now, going through all this.

Beyond that, I'm not sure any community is good to own property in, right now.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; February-23-11 at 06:01 PM.

!Culture of corruption is to blame!

oh, wait a minute, this is not detroit, nevermind

Where can I get a good deal on a fire extinguisher? At least we still have the big tire.

From the Detroit News, today: "Collections from traffic tickets are $819,000 below what was budgeted."

Now, that's jut plain stupid. Fines from traffic tickets should never be included in a budget. What is collected should be put aside for one year, and that amount included in the following budget. That's just common sense. Otherwise you are telling your PD that, by God, there is a quota and you better get your ass working out there writing tickets, whether there are violations or not.

I'm going to repeat what I've said many times in this forum. Most police officers do not like writing traffic tickets other than for obvious and dangerous violations. At least in may day; maybe I've got these young whippersnappers wrong.

Watch for that Southfield Freeway hit team to be deployed again, then.

They sit one car on the overpass between Oakwood and Outer Drive with a laser speed detector, and six to eight squad cars just waiting for a radio-alert identifying anyone going even five miles over the limit. It HAS been a while since I've seen 'em out en force like that...but there are often single cars positioned UNDER that overpass, in either direction.

They target white men with goatees and sunglasses, too. Even say to their face they look like drug dealers!

A friend who works for Detroit Diesel and lives in Lincoln Park got pulled over three times in a row...for exactly that. Five over and a goatee under his Oakleys.

Detroit has a TON to learn from Allen Park with regards to this, heh.

They could balance their budget on the revenue from the Lodge alone, during rush hour...although I-94 has their full share of idiots, too.

Geez, this morning on I-94 coming across town at 8 a.m., I was the slowest one on the road doin' sixty. I was wishin' for some justice with a few of the real bozos speeding up in that gauntlet between I-75 and I-96.

I love it that the UNIONS were the ones that brought up that failed movie studio...what did they plan on accomplishing with making that scheme the scapegoat, try to make everyone forget about the housing bubble?!

I think it was six years ago when I first warned everyone to watch their driving styles, because every metropolitain and state government was going to be sucking wind when the house prices finally burst...it was SO obvious the prices were being inflated falsely.

No cheers on this one...

gdogslim Guest

I don't know how a city can delete a ems and fire crew.
    what are your taxes paying for? Police? ok you need them to protect the city workers.

This is a microcosm problem in the country in that the pensions etc are funded by taxpayers and sponsored by politicians who cannot deliver when they are out of office 10 years later.

Ray1936, I agree with you about the ticket thing though. I've never got a ticket when I was innocent.

ps: zombie wolf said to not drink and drive
    Last edited by gdogslim; February-23-11 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Yes, well managed right into the ground. We'll see how peaceful things get without a fire department. Surely the residents feel at peace right now, going through all this.

Beyond that, I'm not sure any community is good to own property in, right now.
    All accurate comments and applicable to any community attempting to do the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by majohnson View Post
    !Culture of corruption is to blame!

oh, wait a minute, this is not detroit, nevermind
    Funny!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    From the Detroit News, today: "Collections from traffic tickets are $819,000 below what was budgeted."

Now, that's jut plain stupid. Fines from traffic tickets should never be included in a budget. What is collected should be put aside for one year, and that amount included in the following budget. That's just common sense. Otherwise you are telling your PD that, by God, there is a quota and you better get your ass working out there writing tickets, whether there are violations or not.

I'm going to repeat what I've said many times in this forum. Most police officers do not like writing traffic tickets other than for obvious and dangerous violations. At least in may day; maybe I've got these young whippersnappers wrong.
    I agree with all of your comments, but especially "maybe I've got these young whippersnappers wrong". Police nowadays are getting used to having to pay their own wages. Tax cuts - fee increases. Wage cuts - more tickets. Make a boo boo - pay for it twice. It's the old bait and switch.

I say have Lincoln Park annex Allen Park NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

They sit one car on the overpass between Oakwood and Outer Drive with a laser speed detector, and six to eight squad cars just waiting for a radio-alert identifying anyone going even five miles over the limit. It HAS been a while since I've seen 'em out en force like that...but there are often single cars positioned UNDER that overpass, in either direction.

They target white men with goatees and sunglasses, too. Even say to their face they look like drug dealers!

A friend who works for Detroit Diesel and lives in Lincoln Park got pulled over three times in a row...for exactly that. Five over and a goatee under his Oakleys.

They could balance their budget on the revenue from the Lodge alone, during rush hour...although I-94 has their full share of idiots, too.

Geez, this morning on I-94 coming across town at 8 a.m., I was the slowest one on the road doin' sixty. I was wishin' for some justice with a few of the real bozos speeding up in that gauntlet between I-75 and I-96.

I love it that the UNIONS were the ones that brought up that failed movie studio...what did they plan on accomplishing with making that scheme the scapegoat, try to make everyone forget about the housing bubble?!

I think it was six years ago when I first warned everyone to watch their driving styles, because every metropolitain and state government was going to be sucking wind when the house prices finally burst...it was SO obvious the prices were being inflated falsely.

No cheers on this one...

I started laughing the moment I read this post, they got me before. Unfortunately, the ticketing officer had been in an accident and was hospitalized the day I went to court and the ticket was dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Ray I've noticed in my old department that it's not like our days. Because of the low salary, most of what is entering law enforcement now a days is young people who have never been anything in their life. Soon as they pin on the badge they get the big head and want to force their "power" on anyone possible any way possible

Gannon, they target EVERYBODY!!!!! I live right off Southfield. I drive this fwy every day. I don't dare go over 50 until I pass Rotunda & know I'm safely in Dearborn. However, I see them pull over anybody & everybody they can. I drive past the 24th Dist courthouse every morning & see the diversity of people waiting to get in to address their traffic tickets. When they're out, it's an all out onslaught on anyone around. They play no favorites in their revenue grab.

Yeah, I know...but that one series with that buddy of mine who had the cop ADMIT he was targeted due his appearance was too ridiculous to not relate here!

My father lives three streets off the freeway at Outer Drive...and I get off on Oakwood and take the service drive.

Of course, that is more due the shear idiocy of the traffic flow now that the malls were built on the trash heap...but it takes me away from their playground, too!

Cheers, sorry you got jammed.

I avoid Allen Park like I avoid Royal Joke.

My father lives three streets off the freeway at Outer Drive...and I get off on Oakwood and take the service drive.
    If it was me, I'd exit at Rotunda because the east side of the fwy between Oakwood & Rotunda is where the border for Allen Park starts. Even though you may becoming south on the fwy, you'll still get stopped by them anywhere south of Rotunda as they view the border, which the fwy pretty much is, as Allen Park & their jurisdiction.

No cheers on this one...
    If you think Allen Park's speed traps are something new, you're wrong by about 40 years. I was home to River Rouge from CMU around 1969. I had a kind of a hot roddy car. My father, an independent insurance agency owner, who saw plenty of driving records in his day and so he had a pretty good idea where his clients got tickets, always questioned my car's [[as well as my own) appearance. Well, I left to drive back to Mt. Pleasant late evening. My father said don't go out the Southfield Freeway.I did. I got it for something like 5 over. AP tailed me for about 2 miles in an unmarked car. The Southfield Freeway has been Allen Park's biggest industry since its opening.

Mr. Houdini Guest

Note to Allen Park residents: move.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast