Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: Do you support distracted pedestrian laws in Detroit?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 32.14%
  • No

19 67.86%
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Do You Support Distracted Pedestrian Laws?

States take aim at distracted pedestrians

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ans-ipod_N.htm

Lawmakers in both states have proposed restrictions on using cellphones and music players such as iPods by people running and walking on the street or sidewalk. ...

The proposal in Arkansas would ban pedestrians from wearing headphones in both ears while on, parallel or adjacent to a street, road, intersection or highway. The measure also applies to runners and cyclists and would allow pedestrians to wear headphones in one ear.....

Democratic State Sen. Carl Kruger in New York has been trying since 2007 to ban the use of cellphones, iPods and other gadgets by pedestrians in major cities while crossing the street. The proposal would ban the use of an electronic device while crossing the crosswalk in a city with a population of one million or more. Violators would face a $100 civil fine.

If you're playing with your little teeney-bopper trinket and wander out in front of a Mack truck and get turned into hamburger, why should it be the driver's fault?

We don't need any more laws....If the dummy gets hit by a car/truck/bus too bad. Just one less idiot in the world. I feel bad for the driver that hits them.... What happened to being responsible for your own actions?

These states need a part time legislature. They've got too much free time if they're coming up with laws like this.

Distracted Pedestrians are more in danger of harming themselves than seriously injuring others so it makes little sense to me to enact a law to try to assure paying attention to one's surroundings. But bicycle riders in the roadway should be subject to the same laws as other drivers on the road, as they impact traffic conditions and are piloting a vehicle that can cause considerable harm to others if mismanaged.

....OK, now I am thinking, pedestrians on the roadway also cause danger by impacting the operation of 2 or more ton vehicles. Maybe there should be an amendment to the existing distracted driver laws to include any driver of any vehicle or any pedestrian whose distraction due to [fill in your pet peeve here] causes or is likely to cause traffic problems or danger to others. [Danger to self and others] is standard language that can invoke police attention.

gdogslim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    These states need a part time legislature. They've got too much free time if they're coming up with laws like this.
    I agree like Texas, meet every two years, make a two year budget.

I am in favor of suing lawmakers who make dumb laws, and making plaintiffs pay in slip and fall lawsuits when they lose.

This is a play by the auto insurance companies who pay the wrongful death and disability claims to those that have been hit. In a perfect world, if "distracted pedestrians" laws pass, insurance rates should go down. However, I doubt that will be the case.

So this would make it illegal for me to listen to my ipod while I'm out jogging? Seriously? There are a lot more important things to worry about.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. Obviously I don't think it's safe to wear headphones while jogging/biking in the street or crossing streets. But I have seen some dummies wearing headphones while walking around alone in desolate areas--talk about not being aware of your surroundings. As for how it affects drivers, I don't wanna peel someones scalp off my car [[or go to jail).

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hermousefriday View Post
    As for how it affects drivers, I don't wanna peel someones scalp off my car [[or go to jail).
    Pay attention while you drive, then. Even the dumbest pedestrian can't get run over unless you hit them.

Quote Originally Posted by hermousefriday View Post
    I'm kind of on the fence on this one. Obviously I don't think it's safe to wear headphones while jogging/biking in the street or crossing streets. But I have seen some dummies wearing headphones while walking around alone in desolate areas--talk about not being aware of your surroundings. As for how it affects drivers, I don't wanna peel someones scalp off my car [[or go to jail).

I think more people run with headphones than not these days. It's important to keep the volume down so you can also hear what's going on around you, but it's really not a problem.

I agree that walking around in a desolate area alone with headphones on is dumb.

If you're wearing headphones, walking/crossing the street while updating your Facebook status and get hit it's your own fault.
    Pay attention.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    If you're wearing headphones, walking/crossing the street while updating your Facebook status and get hit it's your own fault.
    Pay attention.
    No. It is the responsibility of the person piloting the giant hunk of lethal machinery to not kill people with it. They have all the speed, all the power, all the maneuverability. You can't just go running people over because they're wearing headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    No. It is the responsibility of the person piloting the giant hunk of lethal machinery to not kill people with it. They have all the speed, all the power, all the maneuverability. You can't just go running people over because they're wearing headphones.
    So let me get this straight.....some numbscull walks off the sidewalk into traffic because he can't hear me coming and its my fault as a driver? WTF are you on? Step away from the drugs pal....Last time I checked the responiblity falls to the pedestrian not to step into traffic.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    So let me get this straight.....some numbscull walks off the sidewalk into traffic because he can't hear me coming and its my fault as a driver? WTF are you on? Step away from the drugs pal....Last time I checked the responiblity falls to the pedestrian not to step into traffic.
    There's kind of a balance-of-power issue here. The car can do a hell of a lot more damage than the person, so it should be up to the car to control its destructive potential. People act like numbskulls all the time in all kinds of different situations; it doesn't give you the right to kill them.

Electronics aren't entirely the source of the problem.

There's not a single day I don't think about these laws. The problem is people are just plain impatient. Commuting to work by bike in downtown Chicago, I see distracted pedestrians every couple of blocks. The worst are green arrows. People think that just because cross traffic has stopped they can proceed. I also yelled to a woman to stop who wasn't paying attention and nearly walked in front of truck that had a green. None of these people are necessarily using ipods, just have their mind in another land.

Here's the rules where I live. Pretty straight forward.

Pedestrians always have right-away at crosswalks, regardless of light signals or signage.

Motorists have exclusive right-away where there aren't marked crossings. So if a pedestrian runs out into traffic mid-block and gets hit, it isn't the motorists fault.

At one time, there was a huge crackdown on jaywalkers and fines were being dished out like crazy. It wasn't very popular so they stepped back on enforcement.

There should probably be better regulations here on cyclists. It's not fair. I stop at red lights and other cyclists blow right through them causing cross traffic to hit the brakes. Of course there's police everywhere, but they don't do anything.

The "well if the guy was stupid enough to walk into traffic, it's his fault" doesn't really work if the law puts the responsibility on the driver. I think it's automatically the driver's fault, in all or most cases. A lot of pedestrians take advantage of that, so they think they could just do whatever they want. They don't cross at lights, they weave in and out of traffic, they text while crossing the streets, etc. They just make me nervous, especially when the roads are icy and cars are slipping everywhere.

I doubt taking away people's right to electronics is going to make a huge impact on accidents. But maybe those people should exercise with headphones somewhere safer. Like a gym.

Pedestrians are such a nuisance.

I see drivers paying very little attention to pedestrians on a daily basis in Hamtramck, especially when the pedestrian is walking parallel, be it with or against traffic. I can't tell you how many times each week some one decides to make a left turn, without signaling, mili-seconds before oncoming traffic right into my path, and I'm running to get out of his way, because he's not paying attention to the entire situation. Or the right turn people who nearly run me over becuase they never would consider someone crossing the street going the same direction they are. Or the right on red drivers who only look left but never think to look right as I'm coming from the right with the cross walk giving me the "walk" signal. My favorite is the moron who honks from three cars back because I'm actually letting someone cross in front of me, but they're too damn impatient to realize that.

But then I'll venture into Detroit where Hamtramck looks like paradise. Pedestrians in Detroit are just in the way. Trying crossing a side street downtown during any major event, sporting, or otherwise. I give people dirty looks all the time because they are not even aware that there might be pedestrians. Downtown. I'm on the lookout for inconsiderate drivers all the time, and they are all over this town. And yes I've been the idiot driver myself, so I'm more than comfortable criticizing. But giving pedestrians tickets? Find some other laws to make.

At least I don't ride my bike on the wrong side of the street. That would be soooo Detroit.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; February-24-11 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    There's kind of a balance-of-power issue here. The car can do a hell of a lot more damage than the person, so it should be up to the car to control its destructive potential. People act like numbskulls all the time in all kinds of different situations; it doesn't give you the right to kill them.
    NOBODY intensionally hits a pedestrian......My car can not stop on a dime....in fact NO Car can. So if someone steps in front of my car off a curb not paying attention it is NOT my fault. Please note I said NOT paying intension....I realize the pedestrians have a right of way, but that does not give them permission to just step off a curb as a car approaching.....Common sense is everybodys duty, thus we don't need more laws!!!!
    Last edited by Searay215; February-24-11 at 02:44 PM.

I am for this sort of law although I don't think it will change pedestrian's behavior. There is something anti-social and stupid about people walking around plugged into ipods etc.. Most are just listening to music. The music alot of teenagers are listening to have antisocial ideas. And if people are conducting business while driving their cars, I'd be skeptical of the quality of decisions being made at that time. It all just adds to the general stress level and enriches the producers of Ambien et al.

Pedestrians always have right-away at crosswalks, regardless of light signals or signage.

Not true. If there are crosswalk signals, pedestrians must obey them.

Augustiner Guest

NOBODY intensionally hits a pedestrian......
    No, but lots of people drive through built-up areas like they're on I-75 in North Bumfuck. If you're on a city street, people will frequently cross in front of you, and you should expect that and plan for it. If you don't, and you hit somebody, that's your fault, not theirs.

Maybe it's just me, but in situations where someone is walking off the sidewalk and into the street, then unless they're blind, I would think they would look first. Does anyone with their eyesight intact cross the street based on what they hear? Seems to me that most of us LOOK for traffic. I think the issue is more with people who are running/biking along in the street [[not walking/riding out into it) and don't realize that someone is honking their horn to warn them about something, or something along those lines. I personally NEVER rode or ran with headphones, always seemed like a stupid idea to me, but I don't see in many cases where it's a danger to anyone else. However, if there's a situation where the pedestrian could have avoided being hit if they could have heard a horn honking,etc., then MAYBE the driver who hits them shoudln't be at fault. I would think these are an extremely small percentage of these types of accidents, and it would have to be extenuating circumstances for the driver to not be at fault , e.g. their steering went and they were trying to warn the pedestrian by honking the horn - but how often do things like that happen?

I'm only addressing the 'can't hear' issue here [[which is what the quote I responded to addressed). Obviously cell phones are a whole other issue. If you walk out into the street simply because you're just not paying attention, that's just stupidity on your part.