Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tanning in the city

My friend brought up the topic of going tanning and when she looked for a place in the city she could not find anything. Is there a place in Detroit to go tanning? A gym that offers laundry services as well as tanning? This might sound funny, but you would think that there would be tanning in a city of almost a million people.

Where?
    The same place you buy your oversized blinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowlska View Post
    This might sound funny, but you would think that there would be tanning in a city of almost a million people.
    Well not to sound racist, but why would the citizens of Detroit who are 90% black need a tan?

Ever see a black dude take his shirt off? They're just like white people, or anyone else for that matter. You leave your shirt on all summer and you're gonna look like a redneck when you take it off. Plus it can help hide blemishes on the skin, or you gotta match your right arm up with the left after a road trip. Not to mention, there are other benifits of filtered UV exposure other than tanning. It can help with everyone with scoriesis and if I remember right, it can help black folk absorb more vitamin D that the darker pigment hinders production of when UV light from the sun hits their skin.

Sounds like a business venture... Any takers?

DetroitDad Guest

The Kales Building has the nicest tanning services in the city, but it's for building residents only.

I looked that up a couple months ago for myself...there's a couple close. One near wayne state and one by Hamtramck. I just went to a place on the way home from my work instead because I couldn't find reviews of either?

Augustiner Guest

This might sound funny, but you would think that there would be tanning in a city of almost a million people.
    Well, this ain't exactly the Jersey Shore. What do you want us to do, show off the six inches of exposed skin between our hat brims and the top button on our winter coats?

NorthEndere Guest

Honestly, is this some kind of twisted joke question?

My friend brought up the topic of going tanning and when she looked for a place in the city she could not find anything. Is there a place in Detroit to go tanning? A gym that offers laundry services as well as tanning? This might sound funny, but you would think that there would be tanning in a city of almost a million people.
    I think this is a trick question.

Default Fake Bake in Detroit

My advice to anyone opening a fake bake in Detroit...Keep Your Day Job....

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    The Kales Building has the nicest tanning services in the city, but it's for building residents only.
    It does! Not that I would know.....

The point of my post earlier is that there's simply no market in Detroit to support a tanning salon[[s). Why would people who were born with a natural tan have the need for a tanning salon? It would be like asking why a majority white city doesn't have any african hair braiding salons. I always thought tanning was most popular amongst young white kids [[which the city proper has very few of). You can try starting a tanning salon business in the city, but it'll likely fail miserably. Your niche market and thus highest probability for success would be somewhere in the suburbs. There's a good reason why the suburbs is where many of our region's tanning salons are at now [[besides lower cost to do business).

Based purely on personal observance and speculation, it appears as though there is some sort of zoning law that requires tanning salons to be housed strictly in strip mall locations. Further, it seems by my estimation that 40% of strip malls must house a tanning salon.

Crazy regulations.

I am not sure what the penalties are for non-compliance, but since strip malls are nearly exclusive to suburbs, the likelihood of a zoning infraction could be high if one were to open a tanning salon in Detroit city proper. Be careful.

Along these same lines, it seems for some reason as if Chinese restaurants are required to not have windows. The only exception being if the name of the Chinese restaurant contains the word "King" or "Star".

Me personally, I find that the better Chinese restaurants are indeed the ones without windows, and without the words "King" or "Star".

Tanning salons are the dumbest businesses ever created. Reminds me of the Suess story of the Sneeches. If I was in charge of the law I'd make dammed sure that if anyone who goes to those places on a regular basis ever had skin cancer that they would not be covered by medical insurance.

And another thing, what is it with all of these kids with the car stereos that go boom boom boom?
    When I was a kid we would walk to school on days like today. We didn't have no buses. And we liked it!

When I lived in the city, there wasn't a single tanning booth within the city limits. Odd, as there are plenty of strippers that would probably like to get a nice tan. Try Metropoli-tan in Grosse pointe, if you are on the east side.

Actually I knew a few in Warrendale Area but they are now all shut.

Thanks for the comments. My friend lives on the east side so she was going to go to Grosse Pointe eventually but wanted to find one in the city to support a city business.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gambling Man View Post
    When I lived in the city, there wasn't a single tanning booth within the city limits. Odd, as there are plenty of strippers that would probably like to get a nice tan. Try Metropoli-tan in Grosse pointe, if you are on the east side.
    Why wouldn't they just go to the ones by their suburban homes?

Thanks for the comments. My friend lives on the east side so she was going to go to Grosse Pointe eventually but wanted to find one in the city to support a city business.
    I'm sure if your friend really wants to support the city she will be able to find many other ways to do just that....there are many businesses on the east, which is where I live, that would more than welcome her patronage...

Salon X offers tanning. They are located on Anthony Wayne [[3rd Street), about a block north of West Warren.

Fit and Tan is in Hamtramck on Jos Campau between Casmere and Commor. Or, like someone else mentioned, you could go to pretty much any strip mall in any suburb of Detroit and find a tanning salon.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It would be like asking why a majority white city doesn't have any african hair braiding salons. I always thought tanning was most popular amongst young white kids [[which the city proper has very few of).
    You get extra credit for that remark....

Reminds me when I moved to the Bay Area and I had to locate a barbershop with Black barbers in San Jose. Being from the "D", I was spoiled. There was a barbershop on every corner but in "San Josie" they were far and few and they closed at 5PM and was closed on Mondays.

Planet Fitness on Ford Rd in Detroit right on the border of Dearborn has a reasonable gym/tanning package.