Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Broken Fire Hydrant?

Hey all, I had a question that I knew someone here would be able to answer...

There is a fire hydrant down the block from me that has been broken for almost a month now. I'm talking about water constantly gushing out continuously [[unless it gets cold enough to actually freeze over). As I walked in the house tonight and heard that running water and thought about all the waste and ice, it occured to me that perhaps somehow the city didn't know this problem existed? Does anyone know who I would contact tomorrow to make sure they're aware?
    Thanks!

The Water Dept handles repairs to fire hydrants, though firefighters inspect them. You should be able to find a complaint number online.
    Good luck.

Have you tried SeeClickFix.com? I can't vouch for their effectiveness but their sole purpose is to provide a way to report such problems.

Wow amazing something like that can go on for a month, do you live in a no mans land there ?

Call 311 from a landline or [[313) 224-INFO [[4636) from a cellphone. If I remember correctly there's a number on their recording for the water department as well for emergencies just like that. Yep just googled it's [[313) 267-7401. http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Departme...1/Default.aspx
    http://www.dwsd.org/

I don't know if you've ever taken a psychology class but there's a principal called the diffusion of responsibility. No one will likely call because they all assume someone else will. You should definitely call.

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    Wow amazing something like that can go on for a month, do you live in a no mans land there ?
    ha not really, I live in virginia parkish and I'd say the block is half full...

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll try that 311 line tomorrow...
    and as far as the hydrant goes, it has had one of those out of order ring things on it, so i figured someone knew...but since it is still like this I think I'll call to be safe.

How bout a pic of what it looks like?

Wonder if this will replace the ice fountain which last time I was on Belle Isle was not running this year....

Name:  hydrant.jpg
Views: 7890
Size:  36.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    How bout a pic of what it looks like?
    You can't see much from that pic and I had to crop it a ton but the left side is frozen and the right side and front are flowing water. There is a good 4 inch pool of water surrounding it.

So I called the 311 number and found out I had to talk to the water dept. The water dept didn't seem too concerned but said they would send someone out to repair it. After talking to my roommate I found out that he had called them yesterday and they accused him of breaking it. The lady asked him what happened and if he had hit it with his car...oh detroit

good news! I came home from work today to find it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleM785 View Post
    good news! I came home from work today to find it fixed.
    "...oh detroit"

All this stuff about fire hydrants is making me thirsty...

DetroitDad Guest

It's funny how groups and people think alike at different moments. Here's a excerpt from a blog post I have been working on, which really seemed extremely relevant here.

http://campusmartiuschronicle.blogsp...anding-up.html

Traveling further up Detroit's 12th Street, my daughter and I come to a stop at a traffic light. The street signs are missing from this intersection, and only one of the two red lights is working. A mother and a young child cross the street, they are caring groceries. They take a diagonal across one of the urban prairies, and disappear behind a collapsing alley garage, gone from view. It's a reminder that I am in a place comparable, at times, to Hell. At the same time, this mother and child are an affirmation of truth, that people here are still fighting, and still dreaming.

I can just here them now; "why are you beating a dead horse, Sean? You are setting yourself up for disappointment. You can't change anything, why even try?" Have you ever heard that before? I have.

During preparation for Super Bowl XL, I remember reading an article stating that the Detroit public lighting department has had some problems with keeping all the streetlights on. In their defense, the department head mentioned that the problem isn't actually fixing the streetlights, it's going around and testing them. Supposedly, this is part of the reason things get so out of hand. In a similar analogy, this is part of the reason I feel compelled to pick up trash or clean up graffiti. I just got sick of walking past it, over, and over, and over.

Huh, you and I getting involved; who would have thought it actually makes a difference?

How about a cig-o-rette, but you dont smoke I guess. Just to think that thing was pissing for a month without no intervention makes me want to celebrate I suppose.

I called about a broken Hydrant this morning, after reading this thread, and the Dept. employee
    wouldn't even turn down the radio so she could hear my alert.
    Swear to God, it took fifteen minutes to finally get her to understand the location of the break!!!
    Through the whole conversation, the radio blared, and I could completely hear everything
    on the radio, yet SHE couldn't understand me. Very frustrating, to say the least.
    ....Oh Detroit.

DetroitDad Guest

Sounds like one of Kwame's great new hire contributions that hasn't lost their job yet. Please get the employees name and write to the department manager whenever such things happen. You can even just report it here, and I'll help write up the letter, if you wish.

Our city services and department managers are overwhelmed in this city, so sometimes we have to go the extra mile to bring things to their attention.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    I called about a broken Hydrant this morning, after reading this thread, and the Dept. employee
    wouldn't even turn down the radio so she could hear my alert.
    Swear to God, it took fifteen minutes to finally get her to understand the location of the break!!!
    Through the whole conversation, the radio blared, and I could completely hear everything
    on the radio, yet SHE couldn't understand me. Very frustrating, to say the least.
    ....Oh Detroit.