Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How long will light rail construction take?

In the State of the City Adress, Mayor Bing mentioned how light rail construction will start no later than 2012. I don't really have much background information on how rail-based transit sytems are built or planned, nor do i know how Detroit handles such matters, my hypothetical question is, IF light rail construction in fact would start sometime in 2012, how long do any of you think it would take to build the first stretch from Hart Plaza to New Center to where it would be in full operation? Just an estimation obviously

My understanding is that it will be built in two phases, the first phase from downtown to approximately Grand Boulevard which will take about a year and a half, then from Grand Blvd. to the State Fair area which will take another 2-3 years.

Wow! 2 whole years to go 3 miles, in a straight line, on a road that originally had rail running up the middle of the street.
    What's next a sodee pop machine, indoor plumbing?

http://www.wpyr.com/history/

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    Wow! 2 whole years to go 3 miles, in a straight line, on a road that originally had rail running up the middle of the street.
    What's next a sodee pop machine, indoor plumbing?

http://www.wpyr.com/history/
    The difference is that back then, the Woodward streetcar line - as well as your WP & Y Railway example - were built and operated with private capital and no government involvement other than granting the franchise.

I think you need to have all of the funding in place before you can actually build it. $25 million won't do much. The people mover cost hundreds of millions back in the 1970's and 80's.

$25 million is enough for preliminary phases but not construction, I agree. I believe the thought was to use the $125 million raised by the M1 Rail folks to do the first phase out to Grand Blvd., then the Federal new starts money for the rest, assuming we get the Fed's dollars.

And they built 110 miles of rail line in just over 2 years.
    They've been talking about light rail/regional transit in Detroit since the 70's as well as discontinuing existing rails?

GM now has one it's lowest market shares in history and yet they have millions to lobby against renewable energy, mass transit... so private or govt. funding will be squashed as usual.

I tend to believe we'll see something soon. Not looking forward to construction traffic, but it will be worth it in 5-7 years when I can take the Jefferson DOT stop near my new place to the Woodward line, and hop on the train to go to work.

This video answers many of the questions asked on this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lJAXhpWXXA

All of the funding for this project has been locked up, and it is in the final stages of planning and development. There is very strong support for this project from the business community, and the government at all levels. The final plan and design will be determined this year, with major construction taking place next year. The first section should be done by the end of 2013, and the second phase done by the end of 2015.

The date of completion for the 1st phase keep being pushed back. I had went to a TRU meeting and groundbreaking was suppose to begin this year in October or November. I had said two years ago that the date would be pushed further and further back from the original planning. The plan and design should had been determined when all hands on board had decided to go along with the project. I am not being negative but when next year comes something else may put a block on it's construction beginning date.Come on! It is just two tracks going up Woodward

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    And they built 110 miles of rail line in just over 2 years.
    They've been talking about light rail/regional transit in Detroit since the 70's as well as discontinuing existing rails?

GM now has one it's lowest market shares in history and yet they have millions to lobby against renewable energy, mass transit... so private or govt. funding will be squashed as usual.
    I had been spouting that for a couple of years on this site

http://metrotimes.com/news/might-rail-1.1109031

If you read the article in this week's Metro Times, you walk away thinking that light rail is very, very far away. There are so many hurdles that have yet to be jumped through. Any light rail is contingent on so many outside factors. Having everything all come together at the same time is like hitting a royal flush. It makes me wonder how other cities ever managed to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post

If you read the article in this week's Metro Times, you walk away thinking that light rail is very, very far away. There are so many hurdles that have yet to be jumped through. Any light rail is contingent on so many outside factors. Having everything all come together at the same time is like hitting a royal flush. It makes me wonder how other cities ever managed to get the job done.
    That's why I wouldn't believe any predictions on construction time until I see some kind of shovel digging up ground on Woodward Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post

Well, you know, just about every other city of significant size everywhere else on Earth has been able to figure this out. There's nothing complicated about it, we just manage to make uncomplicated things complicated.

We somehow managed to build Interstate 75, which was much more complicated than this. We haven't got this done just because we haven't wanted to. Hopefully that has changed.

DetroitDad Guest

My understanding is that they will be doing various infrastructure projects at the same time [[repaving, pipes, streetscapes, etc.), contributing to the long construction period. It should save us money in the long run.

NorthEndere Guest

Construction isn't "very, very" far away. The EIS is the last major legal requirement. After that, if it does stall, it won't be because of any legal hurdles, but because the city has scrapped the plan, which I seriously doubt.

We had danced around this issue for a couple of years on this site. I won't believe it until I see the ground breaking which might never happen in 2012

If funding is ever an issue, then go for "the Budweiser station", "Metlife blue line", "Bank of America red line." Any type of high profile company will sh*t out tons of money just to place their product name on something.

What's the definitive word on whether this is going down lower Woodward to near Jefferson or stopping near Grand Circus Park before the Ave. narrows?

The use of this line will be at a max if it connects neighborhoods in Detroit and S. Oakland to the doorsteps of major employers like the City, County, GM, law firms, etc. I am still happy but not so bullish on this if it stops by Comerica Park. In my ideal world this is wildly successful and a similar or higher-speed rail project occurs along Jefferson or Mack going out to GP, and Michigan Ave. going to Dearborn.

Just curious who is going to own this light-rail system and who is going to pay for the operating and maintenance costs. Can't wait unitl they start digging into Woodward Ave. with all of the unmarked utility lines, steam tunnels, etc. Should be great viewing.

I would say 2-5 years, I'm not sure how this thing is going to travel up Woodward. I wish this was something bigger than light rail but at least it's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    I would say 2-5 years, I'm not sure how this thing is going to travel up Woodward. I wish this was something bigger than light rail but at least it's a start.
    A definite route hadn't came up yet. You would think that the plans of what route of the rail would be made public. I won't believe it until I see the ground breaking. There are probably many persons or entities who say that they are on the bandwagon but really don't want to see this thing take off. They will say that they are supporting it just to pacify the public and get the community's hope up for another year

I saw something about it starting at Jefferson, going up Woodward to Grand Blvd and swinging over to Henry Ford Hospital. They need a regional transit system, like a Woodward line going to Pontiac.

Augustiner Guest

Folks, all these questions you're asking [[what the alignment will be, who will own/operate it, etc.) are a matter of public record. Do yourselves a favor: instead of posting in this thread, take a couple minutes and read the "Public Hearing Materials" posted on the webpage. That way you will get accurate information instead of more uninformed speculation from more anonymous schmucks too lazy to type "Woodward Light Rail" into Google.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    A definite route hadn't came up yet. You would think that the plans of what route of the rail would be made public. I won't believe it until I see the ground breaking. There are probably many persons or entities who say that they are on the bandwagon but really don't want to see this thing take off. They will say that they are supporting it just to pacify the public and get the community's hope up for another year
    My god! YOU'RE RIGHT! They're like Gomez and his trains!

Those millionaire Jackals!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast