Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

detroitjim Guest

Default Anyone Else skeptical of the DPS's claimed 62% graduation rate?

I would like to see those graduates take a GED exam[[without being coached beforehand) and pass it.

With the newspaper story that ran a few weeks back in mind, How many students had their failing grades changed to passing by upper echelon administrators?

Hopefully the DPS's statistics are accurate. I find them quite unbelievable.

This related story was the headline in today's Detroit News:

Mich. high school grad rates up; many not ready for jobs, college

So sad. There oughta be a law. Maybe there is.

I really don't see why the graduation rate matters if it isn't clear that the diploma means anything.

DetroitDad Guest

Mayor Bing mentioned that during the state of the city address tonight, though not in detail. He agreed there is an issue with graduates basically not being able to utilize their knowledge or "go anywhere".

a graduate degree will be the base line by the time we figure out our high school system

NorthEndere Guest

Actually, Jim, I certainly do. And, this is the state standard even, which doesn't even include those that finish in something more than four years.

One of the most deceptive measures of graduation rates in the city I've ever seen was that national outfit that came to the city a few years back and had the graduation rate at something like 23% because they didn't take into account the [[tens-of-thousands) of kids who left the district for other city schools or districts.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; February-23-11 at 02:35 AM.