Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default State Senator Bert Johnson attacked by pit bull

This dog story sounds pretty fishy. Looks like he messed up getting his hand in the snow blower and wants to blame it on a breed that already has a bad rap.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011022...text|FRONTPAGE

Here's my response and opinions.

I've operated new snow blowers and old ones. Between the design of the two machines, I'm not certain how one would fall and get their hand in one, unless you do some sort of somersault over the handle landing directly in front . Don't want to blame the victim, heck maybe it could happen but I'm not sure. All I know is his hand got stuck in the machine but we can speculate forever how or why.

I don't know his stance on pitbulls in general or if this is some way to push an agenda. I don't know, can't say for certain. But I don't think people should own pitbulls. I don't blame the dogs, just like I don't blame bears or tigers for their innate behaviors. People should not be allowed to have pitbulls as pets considering 50-60% of people are lousy pet owners. And don't dish me the "but my pet is well trained" story. Last time my friend said that, their dog took a dump 3 minutes later on his couch.
    Last edited by wolverine; February-22-11 at 08:19 PM.

How do you know they didn't train him to do that?!

At least around folks antagonistic against breeds...the equivalent of doggy racism?
    Last edited by Gannon; February-22-11 at 08:25 PM.

“I slipped and put my left hand down to brace myself and it went into the snowblower,”

Anything is possible, but it does sound absurd.

Don't all snowblowers have a safety clutch handle? Mine does. If you release the handle for any reason it automatically disengages the clutch removing power from the auger. I can't see any benefit to overriding it and it would be a difficult reach to stretch arms from the handle to the auger.

I wonder if the dog was reacting to the noise of the snowblower. I wonder what would have happened if the snowblower had been used as a defensive weapon against the dog?

Condolences to the victim though. That's a nasty wound.

Wait. Could it be that the dog did that damage to his hand and he has some reason to blame the snowblower instead to protect the dog? Just a guess. I wouldn't bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Don't all snowblowers have a safety clutch handle? Mine does. If you release the handle for any reason it automatically disengages the clutch removing power from the auger. I can't see any benefit to overriding it and it would be a difficult reach to stretch arms from the handle to the auger.

I wonder if the dog was reacting to the noise of the snowblower. I wonder what would have happened if the snowblower had been used as a defensive weapon against the dog?

Condolences to the victim though. That's a nasty wound.
    Mine doesn't. When it's running, it's on. The thing in front is always spinning.

Bert Johnson could tell me the sun was going to rise in the morning and I would not believe him. He more than likely was beaten by an ex-boyfriend or that web-site-building lady he stiffed .

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Mine doesn't. When it's running, it's on. The thing in front is always spinning.
    Thanks. I really didn't know that. I'm still learning about snowblowers.

I don't know snowblowers, but I know dogs well enough that I don't buy this story. I just don't see even a mean pit bull reacting the way he described.

He should have went with the I reached down to save a little rabbit from being caught in the snowblower story. At least that way he could have picked up the PETA vote.

Snowblowers without a hand clutch where the blades and auger turn all the time=scary/old/strong/heavy iron.

Dont know anything about the guy but yeah ouch thats a nasty wound.

He kicked the pit bull, yet he has no injuries from the dog? He was able to outrun the dog, while he was injured, to the truck?

I was talking about this story with a friend yesterday and almost every sentiment expressed here came up in our conversation.

I wouldn't be surprised if we find out there is more to this story, or less to this story, or a completely different story.

Somebody posted this in the Free Press comments, and I thought it was very helpful, especially the bolded part:

"Heavy, wet snow is more likely to jam up snowblowers than the dry, powdery stuff, a fact that is not well-known, Hammig said.

Injuries occur when an operator tries to loosen the clog with his hand. Even though most snowblowers built today have a dead man's switch to shut the machine down when the operator's hands move off the handle, tension energy built up behind a clog is often enough to spin the blade even if the blower is 'off.'"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...64P46B20100526

This sounds like a guy who blames a "dog in the road" after he wrapped his car around a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Thanks. I really didn't know that. I'm still learning about snowblowers.

all new snowblowers have that feature, its law

i have an older toro, works great, but the thing is always spinning in the front...

All interesting takes, but there are indeed pit bulls and other mutts running loose in the city.
    I see them all the time..from the safety of a car. Though I've never been attacked by one, they often look at me like I'm lunch!

Aren't they actually snowthrowers, since they don't really blow the snow?

Seems strange to me. If I had a pit bull running at me and then I fall and get my hand ripped up on snow blower, then most likely the advancing pit bull is going to be able to get me. He says he kicked the dog and it gave him time to get up and run to the car which is unlikely.
    As far as actually accidentally sticking my hand in a snowblower, I guess if I was being chased by a pit bull I would panic and theoritically i could fall. More likely I would protect myself with the snow blower and try to grind the dog up.

Hmmm. I don't get it. A politician who ... lies?

So, in this fantasy story, who turned off the snowblower, since he said he jumped up & ran to truck after he was able to fend off a charging Pit Bull with a kick?

Quote Originally Posted by carlscomputers View Post
    So, in this fantasy story, who turned off the snowblower, since he said he jumped up & ran to truck after he was able to fend off a charging Pit Bull with a kick?
    If it happened in HP probably the the guy who came along and stole it.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Bert Johnson could tell me the sun was going to rise in the morning and I would not believe him. He more than likely was beaten by an ex-boyfriend or that web-site-building lady he stiffed .
    Does he have an ex-boyfriend?
    I'm out of the loop here,what's the story on the website woman?

You'll need to search the archives here, but in a nutshell, some gal who did a little web-site work for BJ was not paid for her efforts. She joined this forum to loudly complain about getting stiffed; however, while proving her point, she served to reveal herself as a bit of a hectoring hack.

On the oringinal subject, it is rather telling that few folks feel any sympathy for BJ. Looks like he's blown it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast