Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default ann arbor restaurant

forgive me if this has come up before......

looking for a good/inexpensive restaurant in ann arbor area - been to most of the places in town - looking for something off the beaten path that you would recommend - ethnic or otherwise - i'm an equal opportunity eater!! thanks.

Sorry no good inexpensive food in Ann Arbor. Maybe the White Castle on Packard and Carpenter?
    Your best bet would be somewhere in Ypsi like Depot-town.

Thats not to say you can't get good meals in A2, Zingerman's Roadhouse has great meals, but when the mac and cheese cost $12 a side, it ain't cheap.

Jerusalem Garden on 5th near Liberty
    Fleetwood Diner on Ashley at Liberty

Blimpy's [[cheaper than food)

someone recommended rajarhani tiny indian food place. Haven't been yet.

University Cafe on Church St. is a terrific Korean restaurant. Not necessarily off the beaten path but very low key.

without a doubt

abes in ypsi

michigan and hamilton

bring tums

My favorite cheap diners are on the West Side -- Village Kitchen on Maple & Holiday's Restaurant down the street on W. Stadium near Liberty. Village Kitchen is awesome for brunch on Saturdays and Sundays, and at Holiday's, if you like seafood, they have a great lemon pepper cod. Holiday's also makes the BEST cream pies [[banana, coconut & chocolate) in A2.

Also for breakfast/brunch/early lunch there's Angelo's and Northside Grill near the hospital, and Cafe Marie's on the North Side. The Broken Egg downtown's OK. Would not recommend the Afternoon Grill.

Townie places in Ann Arbor tend to be along that Stadium/Maple drag, BTW. There's also a great hoagy place near the Baskin-Robbins & Speedway that folks in town told me about.

On U-M campus: Best places with vegetarian options are Jerusalem Garden near central campus/downtown and in the South U area, Oasis and Za's are cheap eats -- pretty much what I grabbed when I ate out during grad school. Both are decent dine-in options if you avoid the student rush at lunch hour.

Sadako on South U also has a nice $10 lunch box. [[I actually like the way they put together their lunch box better than Wasabi, although I've learned how to modify it.)

That's what I can think of from the top of my head. Ypsi is even better for cheap eats, as others have said.

Ann Arbor changes so fast since I graduated. Bet if I made a recommendation the place has either moved or changed to something else.

Having spent a few years in grad school at U-M in the 90's I know about cheap food...most of my meals were centered around Falafel...which in my opinion is both cheap and good...so I spent a great deal of time at Jerusalem Garden...and a little hole in the wall on South University near E. University St....can't think of the name right now but you can't miss it...just look for a tiny place with a very long line. There;s also DaLat an excellent Vietnamese Restaurant in Ypsi on Michigan Ave. that's excellent. Then there's the Brown Jug on S. University where I went whenever I needed a big fat juicy double cheese burger, a mountain of fries, and an ice cold pitcher of beer...and of course the game...I really miss that place.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; February-23-11 at 05:59 AM.

Try Kosmo in Kerrytown . Can't go wrong with Bebimbap , Seoul Dog or Twigim....

Bill's Drive In , Ypsi , unique coneys & Mega tasty Root Beer !!

Is DaLat still open in Ypsi. Best Vietnamese around. Try the Goi Con rolls, mmmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Is DaLat still open in Ypsi. Best Vietnamese around. Try the Goi Con rolls, mmmmmm!
    Yes it is....love those sizzling clay pots!!!

Broadway Cafe
    A great combo of food! Korean [[bibimbop and sullung tang) and American [[cheesesteak hoagies)

-and-

Tios [[Mexican)
    http://www.tiosmexicancafe.com

-and-

Dibellas [[Awesome Subs!)
    http://www.dibellas.com/