Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Freedom House in Detroit

I had a chance to read this article today in the Detroit News:
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...ven-in-Detroit

I just wanted to see if anyone else on this board has experiance in dealing with them, or knows someone involved in that program. This seems like a great organization, and I am thinking of trying to get my church involved in helping them out. It just strikes me that we are still the land of freedom and opportunity that those who are opressed from around the world look to.

Comments and disucssion please.

Great organization. Been around a long time. Originally called the Detroit Windsor refugee coalition. This is a chance to put your time and/or money into a local group that is doing tremendous and very challenging work. They helped a family I know from Bangladesh get into Canada [[a country that still welcomes immigrants) where they won their asylum case and are now legal residents.

Freedom House does great work and is deserving of assistance. I volunteered there years ago and know former residents now who have been able to find their footing and home in the U.S. I would encourage you to talk with Deb to see what ways your church could help.