Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit addressing changes

I know that this question has been asked and answered a thousand times on here, but I can't recall, nor can I find, the year that Detroit changed its street address system. I was doing some research and found that my grandparents lived in Detroit in 1910 [[which is something I never knew) at 614 24th Street and want to find out if it's the same location now as then.

The 1920/21 City Directory at the Burton Library, inside the Main Branch on Woodward, will show both the old and the new address numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    The 1920/21 City Directory at the Burton Library, inside the Main Branch on Woodward, will show both the old and the new address numbers.
    So the change was between 1910 and 1920 sometime? I don't live in the city, but next time I get down there during the day, I'll try to stop.

Detroit's new street numbering scheme went into effect on Jan. 1, 1921.

According to page 2759 of Polk's 1920-1921 Detroit City Directory, 614 Twenty-fourth was renumbered to 2462 Twenty-fourth. At that time, the dwelling was occupied by Peter Stoney and Wm. Kablatz.

Here is a good source on Detroit street name changes and the street renumbering scheme. From this page on that site you can find the old and new street numbers at each of the cross streets along most of the streets in Detroit, which allows you to pin down a new address to a specific block. Here is the page containing the old and new addresses at the intersections along Twenty-fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Detroit's new street numbering scheme went into effect on Jan. 1, 1921.

According to page 2759 of Polk's 1920-1921 Detroit City Directory, 614 Twenty-fourth was renumbered to 2462 Twenty-fourth. At that time, the dwelling was occupied by Peter Stoney and Wm. Kablatz.

Here is a good source on Detroit street name changes and the street renumbering scheme. From this page on that site you can find the old and new street numbers at each of the cross streets along most of the streets in Detroit, which allows you to pin down a new address to a specific block. Here is the page containing the old and new addresses at the intersections along Twenty-fourth.
    Thank you so much, Mikeg. I really appreciate the info. I'll bookmark it for future use.

Here is a comparable section of that block on Twenty-fourth taken from the 1910 Directory [[left) and the 1920 Directory [[right, which shows the new and the old address for each building):

Name:  Twenty-fourth_St_1910-1920_Detroit_Dir.jpg
Views: 3218
Size:  32.6 KB

Mikeg...what a coincidence in putting up that snippet of the directory! I see my grandfather's aunt and uncle, Minnie and George Hack, listed there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Mikeg...what a coincidence in putting up that snippet of the directory! I see my grandfather's aunt and uncle, Minnie and George Hack, listed there!!
    Wow, what are the odds of that? I notice that by 1920 they had moved on, however when comparing the two images, there really aren't many folks who were still living in the same place 10 years later [[and the saloon at 576 is now a soft drink parlor, thanks to Prohibition).

Minnie and George lived right next door to my grandparents, Kathleen; James Smith.
    That is really weird.
    By 1920 my grandparents had moved on to Livingston county and then back to Wayne by the 1930s.
    Last edited by jcole; February-22-11 at 08:00 PM.

The Twilight Zone theme seems appropriate here.

Is the 1920 directory on line to view? I'm lookink for 484 28th street in Detroit

Using Mikeg's links above, it looks as if 484 28th is between Herbert and Devereux.
    http://stevemorse.org/census/changes/DetroitTUV.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kacz1 View Post
    Is the 1920 directory on line to view? I'm lookink for 484 28th street in Detroit
    The Detroit City directories through 1923 are available on-line at the subscription site Footnote.com.

Footnote contains images of millions of documents from the US National Archives, old newspapers, US Census records, city directories, etc. Portions of their collection are available for free, such as the Vietnam Unit Service Awards, the "Poughkeepsie Journal" newspaper issues, the "Project Blue Book" UFO investigation files, etc.

For a limited time, you can subscribe for $59.95 [[normally the annual subscription fee is $79.95).

Default Woodward Avenue

The listings for Woodward Avenue start on page 2640. It's amazing and great fun to scan the listings and get an idea of what Detroit was like back then.