Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Drastic Cuts Proposed For Detroit Schools

Question [[primary to the issue yet not addressed): Why does the DPS deficit 'CONTINUE TO GROW' [[now at $327 million) under Bobb's leadership as EFM?

He [Steve Wasco DPS representative] also said the plan is based on a student population of 58,000 students, instead of the current 74,000, because it's expected the parents will transfer their children to other districts.

[[Oh, duh! What parent would send their kids to DPS with its continual [[now officially SCHEDULED) decline [[eh-er 'restructuring' down to set up with 60 students per class etc.). So again the 'death of a thousand cuts....' DPS is going away...... who's really interested in the kids of Detroit? Are the charters ready? The outer ring suburb districts...?

Article:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/educat...13/detail.html

DETROIT -- State education officials have ordered the emergency financial manager for Detroit Public Schools, Robert Bobb, to immediately implement a plan that balances the district's books by closing half its schools. Watch: State Proposes Drastic Cuts For Detroit Schools District spokesman Steve Wasko said state Superintendent of Public Instruction Mike Flanagan has approved a debit elimination plan created by Bobb that includes closing schools, teacher and staff layoffs and increasing the number of students in a classroom to nearly 60.

Bobb filed his deficit elimination plan with the state in January, saying it would wipe out the district's $327 million deficit by 2014.

The plan also includes no bus service for a large part of the student population, general cuts to extracurricular activities and regional principals instead of one in each school.

Wasko said the cuts are will be a hard loss for students.

"Clearly, those are not preferable educationally. It would not be a better DPS education," he said. "That's why we're working day and night to find an alternative."

Wasko said the implementation of the budget cuts would be gradual over the next three years. He also said the plan is based on a student population of 58,000 students, instead of the current 74,000, because it's expected the parents will transfer their children to other districts.

The Detroit Teachers Union is against the plan.

Angela Goines is the mother of two DPS students.

"It puts a lot of agony in my heart because these babies are really not having a full opportunity to a fair education," she said.

Bobb was hired in March 2009 by then-Gov. Jennifer Granholm. His term is set to end in June.

Full Interview: Detroit Schools Financial Manager Robert Bobb
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-22-11 at 05:57 AM.

NorthEndere Guest

Does the State of Michigan have a webpage where one can view the monthly financial reports for emergency financial managers?

Anyway, another question, does anyone think this is more a plan to scare the unions into huge concessions more than it is to actual implement such an unprecendented plan? You implement this plan, and if you thought the exodus from DPS has been huge in the recent pass, just wait until the plan is implemented and we began ratcheting up classroom sizes to 60 students per teacher on average. Logistically, this is going to be damned-near impossible. In some schools, that will be impossible.

I honestly can't tell if this is a threat of if they think they can actually get away with this. What's the point in killing the deficit so quickly if you're going to entirely destroy the school district in the process? Honestly, where have all these children gone and where will they go? There is not enough school space in the entire metro area to absorb these all of these kids [[thousands upon thousands), particularly when even more well-off districts are closing schools to deal with their own deficits, nor is their a charter school infrastructure large enough within the district to handle to influx.

I guess this is the real meaning or "right-sizing." You know, you chase all of your residents and families away outside of the metro area, and then ultimately out side of the state. This gives new meaning to "we had to burn the village to save the village."

... and increasing the number of students in a classroom to nearly 60
    Might as well shut down the whole system. Students and parents will either flee or fight. Problem is that there is no place for 70K students to suddenly go to. We may be seeing our own version of Tahrir Square or Madison.

I think it would also present grounds for denial of equal opportunity suits.

I keep praying this is either some kind of joke or threat to strongarm the unions/teachers/admins whatever.

You can't teach sixty students at a time, especially when those students need extra attention to succeed. I'm certainly no teacher but I can't imagine how they'd pull this off.

Why not just set up a big powerpoint presentation at the fox explaining to all these kids why their leaders have condemned you to a fucking joke of an educational system through no fault of your own. Maybe have weekly seminars about how to run a successful crackhouse or be a first rate hooker since thats what so many will have to look forward too instead of college and a comfortable life.

If you think the media is having fun with Detroit lately, wait til they see sixty some kids crammed into an undersized cinderblock room like some wartime soviet video.

Sorry I'm just really upset to hear stuff like this. These kids literally are our future but evidently even they are disposable. I sure hope the people in charge come up with something workable soon.

Saw this yesterday. All the Live Midtown incentives and Whole Foods in the world won't make up for this blow to Detroit. You can't even call this "third world" -- even the developing world prioritizes education more than we do.

I'm wondering if this action can be challenged on legal grounds. It seems to be a clear violation of Brown vs. Board.

Maybe they plan to have half the kids sit on shoulders of the other half.
    It certainly would be a space saver.

Would be interesting to see which schools remained open... perhaps a tip of the hat to Bing's consolidation plan.

However, the ridiculous notion that these kids should suffer while other districts flush with money from local millages are looking down at them is reprehensible. Further, the lottery scam where money simply replaces general budget money for schools, rather than enhances the budget, is a total farce.

Kids 15 miles away playing Jai Alai while these kids don't have books or toilet paper? That is insane. Want a REAL solution? Merge all the Metro Detroit school districts into one. Or simply start cross-district busing. Then people will show some concern for these kids.

As a product of DPS, it is sad to know that the state has given approval to destroy the public school system in Detroit. We know the schools in Detroit were flawed. Teachers were more/less babysitters to unruly children, school buildings were outdated and thieves were ravaging the school system taking anything that wasn't nailed down. Now the state says, "hey let's close half of the schools and herd the school children into the remaining schools and lets increase the size of the classes to 60. You are a teacher and having 30 badasses was enough of an headache now the state says hey we will give you 30 more badasses and oh...the pay stay the same. The state tells the principals, "oh you are going to get more students but we aren't building any new buildings so you will have to make do with the resources you have.

This will not work out well for the city of Detroit. More and more residents will take their children out of public schools and DPS will cease to exist.

Might as well shut down the whole system. Students and parents will either flee or fight. Problem is that there is no place for 70K students to suddenly go to. We may be seeing our own version of Tahrir Square or Madison.
    No you won't. People would actually have to care, which, clearly by the current condition of DPS, they don't. This will happen. It will be a train wreck. And not a damn thing will happen except maybe some BAMNers throwing grapes.
    I think it would also present grounds for denial of equal opportunity suits.
    I think what you meant was equal protection. however, there is no merit to that argument. It's not like everyone NOT going to Cass tech is getting the shaft. It's the entire school district having to adjust it's costs to match revenue. And it's not just detroit. This is happening state wide.

Kids 15 miles away playing Jai Alai while these kids don't have books or toilet paper? That is insane. Want a REAL solution? Merge all the Metro Detroit school districts into one. Or simply start cross-district busing. Then people will show some concern for these kids.
    It's interesting how the most often bandied about solution around here is for Detroit to seize assets from the suburbs. You want DPS to stop losing students and stabilize its revenue, start with banning "schools of choice".
    Last edited by bailey; February-22-11 at 10:35 AM.

Exactly.... so to hell with all the 'kumbayah' Bill Cosby's in town ring-around-the-possey we love the kids mess news and press releases etc. SOMETHING 'REALLY' STINKS IN ALL OF THIS... and some are being torn off big time financially and we can't say it's the big bad wolf Republicans 100% again.... The lead up to this has been under Democratic oversite... though Snyder can and will carry the water ala his expected response. So it all fits so neatly AS EXPECTED! Everyone playing their respective role.

BOTTOM LINE: We're being SHOWN how much Detroit children are valued in this action/ threat. AGAIN the question un-answered: WHY does the deficit 'continue' to escalate under Bobb? Who're the new vendors and consultants? The fiscal tit of DPS still being sucked heartily withstanding the rhetoric. Who are the new 'anointed' and appointed sucklings? And now the cow is being threatened with slaughter once the last approved invoices process?

I do not want to stay in Detroit much longer behind the ugly fall out this will have on the next generation. I am out of here!
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Saw this yesterday. All the Live Midtown incentives and Whole Foods in the world won't make up for this blow to Detroit. You can't even call this "third world" -- even the developing world prioritizes education more than we do.

I'm wondering if this action can be challenged on legal grounds. It seems to be a clear violation of Brown vs. Board.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-22-11 at 12:28 PM.

And if the charters are smug about the demise of DPS that too will change. As it stands now to a certain level they get to hand pick the kids they want... if DPS goes down they will have to absorb a larger number and they will not have the ability to 'toss' back the truant and kids 'after' count day. What a mess. And the fallout on this generation will be devastating. And what of the buildings being built per the funding that was past last year. Are those to be handed over to the charters?
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    As a product of DPS, it is sad to know that the state has given approval to destroy the public school system in Detroit. We know the schools in Detroit were flawed. Teachers were more/less babysitters to unruly children, school buildings were outdated and thieves were ravaging the school system taking anything that wasn't nailed down. Now the state says, "hey let's close half of the schools and herd the school children into the remaining schools and lets increase the size of the classes to 60. You are a teacher and having 30 badasses was enough of an headache now the state says hey we will give you 30 more badasses and oh...the pay stay the same. The state tells the principals, "oh you are going to get more students but we aren't building any new buildings so you will have to make do with the resources you have.

This will not work out well for the city of Detroit. More and more residents will take their children out of public schools and DPS will cease to exist.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-22-11 at 10:49 AM.

Maybe we can just wait for superman.

Buy American Guest

Am I wrong or wasn't the Michigan Lottery designated to schools? Is anyone giving an accounting of where that money goes? Like Judge Judy says, "if it doesn't make sense, it isn't true". Something smells really fishy here in Michigan and it isn't the Asian Carp.

AGAIN I WILL STATE: SOMETHING 'REALLY' STINKS IN ALL OF THIS... and some are being torn off big time financially! We've been bambozzeled and SOMEBODIES GETTING PAID! Ala the supreme party: the "Party of Self Interest"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Am I wrong or wasn't the Michigan Lottery designated to schools? Is anyone giving an accounting of where that money goes? Like Judge Judy says, "if it doesn't make sense, it isn't true". Something smells really fishy here in Michigan and it isn't the Asian Carp.

How so? Are there any black children being told they can not attend Cass Tech [[it's for white/asians/hispanics only), but MLK is a separate but perfectly equal alternative?

Brown stopped "de jure" segregation. It stopped the School District from acting to separate the races. It may be that there is "de facto" segregation in SeM, but that is outside the bounds of any constitutional review as the State has not mandated it nor authorized it.
    Last edited by bailey; February-22-11 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I think what you meant was equal protection. however, there is no merit to that argument. It's not like everyone NOT going to Cass tech is getting the shaft. It's the entire school district having to adjust it's costs to match revenue. And it's not just detroit. This is happening state wide.
    So, you're saying that Detroit and suburban schools are separate, but equal?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Court ordered bussing was an important reason whites left Detroit. Do you think suburban whites would allow their children to be bussed into Detroit Public Schools? They would move to Grayling or start their own private 'academies' first.

I'm wondering if more corporations couldn't be encouraged to kick in support and sponsor eg. the charter Apple or Ford Elementary School where they could oversee the operation of their own school.

I always get shot down on this site for another idea. Thirty or more square block areas of Detroit could be sold to developers and made into walled communities large enough to accommodate 7-50,000 residents with condos, private schools, shopping, private security, etc. Detroit would be able to tax such communities at its usual high rate. Such areas would relieve the City of most police and educational cost but raise immense tax revenues to support police, DPS schools, and other city services. It's a win-win situation and is a step up from mayor Bing's proposals to abandon parts of the City.

Detroit Public Schools

???? - 2011 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    So, you're saying that Detroit and suburban schools are separate, but equal?
    Detroit and suburban schools are separate because they are DIFFERENT SCHOOL DISTRICTS. Whether or not they are "equal" is irrelevant.

Buy American Guest

Read the Mission Statement from the State of Michigan regarding the lottery:

• To supplement state education programs.

That just about says it all doesn't it? So, what's going on...why is Detroit considering closing down all these schools and putting 60+ kids in one classroom? Do the powers that be really think that one teacher can handle a classroom of 60 Detroit kids??? There isn't enough money in the world to pay a teacher for that amount of stress. Good-bye Detroit schools as we know them.

Before the parents can remove their children from the district, the teachers will be running to the hills first. No way teachers are going to go along teaching 60 students and I can't blame them. I worked for DPS briefly and I know how stressed the teachers got dealing not only with the bad ass kids but their parents as well. If I was a teacher in DPS, I would be looking for an out.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Read the Mission Statement from the State of Michigan regarding the lottery:

• To supplement state education programs.

That just about says it all doesn't it?
    You mean because they say so? No. Not to me.

If out of $100, they planned to spend $5 on schools and lottery gave them $5, you would think they would spend $10 on schools. However, in the following years, the schools would say "We need $7 to run"... and do you think that the State would give $7 from general and $5 from lottery? No.

Same with other ear-marked funds. You vote for a local millage that would be ear-marked for "police and fire" and yes, those funds are then used only for police and fire.... but the original general funds for police and fire are probably used for some idiot to put out a city calendar. So, you got duped into your emotional vote paying for a crappy calendar and other waste.

If the DPS educated people now, this would be a travesty. Since it pretty much doesn't, I can't get too worked up. This plan is callous and insane, but from an educational standpoint it is really just more of the same. I guess if it destroys the exam schools there may be some actual damage to kids, but otherwise I would expect the DPS teachers and administrators to be the main victims.

I think the people who think it is a big problem for the redevelopment of the city are wrong. The people who are moving into the city were always very unlikely to use the DPS. Anything that makes the DPS go away and paves the way for alternatives is probably a positive.

This doesn't have an ice cubes chance in hell and is probably just a power play against the union. Union contracts with the school board set the max number of students per class at something like 35, I believe. The state would have to go to court and get those contracts voided in order to legally do this... And about the only way to get those contracts voided would be for the district to declare bankruptcy. Michigan won't let the district declare bankruptcy, which is why they appointed an emergency financial manager in the first place.

Well that's a point, however I am watching how the union in Wisconsin and DC are faring... whatever happens there will pave the way for what happen here it can be argued. What a mess indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    This doesn't have an ice cubes chance in hell and is probably just a power play against the union. Union contracts with the school board set the max number of students per class at something like 35, I believe. The state would have to go to court and get those contracts voided in order to legally do this... And about the only way to get those contracts voided would be for the district to declare bankruptcy. Michigan won't let the district declare bankruptcy, which is why they appointed an emergency financial manager in the first place.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast