Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Wyland Mural

Does anyone know what's going to happen to the mural on the Broderick building? They are completely renovating the building and I don't see anything in the plans that show the mural staying on.

I found this article from when it was decided to cover it:
    http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/news.html?d=77983

This is the website for the remodeling project:
    http://www.brodericktower.com/ although it didn't seem to work this time. Not sure what that means.

I emailed a few people at the Wyland Foundation but the emails were sent back to me. Does anyone know anything new about it?

There's a Broderick Tower thread.

Welcome to the forum, Blackrose! I'm not sure what the fate is of the mural. You said you emailed the Wyland Foundation, but have you tried emailing those in charge of the Broderick renovation?
    For more discussion on the Broderick renovation: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...fficial-Thread

The project site: http://www.brodericktower.com/
    It seems some company names that popped up include:
    Motown Construction Partners LP
    JC Beal Construction Inc
    Kraemer Design Group

I hope they sandblast the crap out of that mural. Even as a little kid I thought it looked cheesy and ridiculous.

Yes very ugly, hope y'all can get it removed.
    Milwaukeeans were lucky enough to be able to tear down the crappy 1960s courthouse annex which had the whale mural painted on it revealing a beautiful view of the west side of the gorgeous 1931 Milwaukee county courthouse.

The Broderick could be a beautiful building the first step would be to remove that crap mural, sad too lose the patina/not have it match the other 3 sides.
    Public art=MEH. That fist in Detroit ? Disgusting.

What is wrong with the mural?

People also complained about the mural on the round building in Long Beach, CA, but I thought it improved the boring architecture.

I think the fist is bizarre and not in a good way. It's so creepy, this dismembered arm, a real Andy Warhol/John Waters work.

Isn't there another building in Detroit the idiot corporation could put their advertising on? Why do they have to cover up an existing mural?

That said, I think the mural shows how little we value architecture and art. It shows me that our civilization is in decline that we resort to the temporary nature of his murals to dress up an beautiful, but abandoned[[?) building. I still like whales, though.

Because whales make so much sense in Detroit. Why not dolphins or manatees? Now, maybe if it was something relevant....then it might be be okay....might be.

I really think they ought to put a three toed sloth up there...that makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Because whales make so much sense in Detroit. Why not dolphins or manatees? Now, maybe if it was something relevant....then it might be be okay....might be.
    How about Asian carp?

So many of the Wyland murals are being taken down or covered up. Part of the issus was terrible placement. He either put them up on structures that would eventually be demolished or back sides of buildings facing empty lots that would see a tower someday.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    How about Asian carp?
    Now that makes sense....maybe Zebra Mussels? Or some creature from the River.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    There's a Broderick Tower thread.
    Good for you. I don't think that's what he asked. This topic is about the mural, not the tower. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Swimmaven View Post
    What is wrong with the mural?

People also complained about the mural on the round building in Long Beach, CA, but I thought it improved the boring architecture.

I think the fist is bizarre and not in a good way. It's so creepy, this dismembered arm, a real Andy Warhol/John Waters work.

Isn't there another building in Detroit the idiot corporation could put their advertising on? Why do they have to cover up an existing mural?

That said, I think the mural shows how little we value architecture and art. It shows me that our civilization is in decline that we resort to the temporary nature of his murals to dress up an beautiful, but abandoned[[?) building. I still like whales, though.
    It's because I value architecture that I think the mural should be removed. I don't think the Broderick is "boring" and I don't think the mural improves it.

As I said once before on the old DYes, that mural looks like the cover of an early 90's trapper keeper. Paging Lisa Frank.

lol...it does look like a trapper keeper!

bartock Guest

What will improve the Broderick are lights [[i.e., people) in the windows. I want to be at a ballgame in the middle of summer and see lights come on in the building as the sun goes down, not see the building disappear.

[[that Trapper Keeper comment is right on!)

I don't think the mural is going anywhere... I believe it has a 99 year lease on that space... the redevelopment team had to jump through a number of legal hoops just to put the advertising over it. It is really unfortunate that they can't take it down.

Even though Broderick, like many downtown buildings, was architecturally massacred in the 1950s, it remains a gem. The building originally was an art deco design with classical touches. Most of the classical was removed, but it remains a beautiful piece of art deco. I am ecstatic to see it being restored, but really wish the mural would go away with the night-time darkness that has haunted the building for nearly 30 years.

Will it possibly need to be removed to fix the tuck-pointing/anchoring on the bricks? It seems real unlikely that the bricks could be serviced without heavily damaging the mural.

It was fun while it lasted, but it's a new day in detroit now that the Broderick is seeing life.

Last I heard, Microsoft was looking to get rights to put their own mural up on the building.Name:  BroderickTower1.JPG
Views: 1521
Size:  62.7 KB

I don't think our civilization is in decline over an out of place whale mural.... geeze...

Since that side of the building is mainly black [[no windows) due to the elevator banks being behind the wall... something rather more interesting should replace the whales.

What about a Trompe l'oeil... and not a repeat image of the other 3 sides of the building... but something more insteresting... Check out this image of how to dress up a blank wall...
    http://portfolio.kittner.com/index.p...0&p=3&a=0&at=0

There's lots of whimsical Trompe l'oeil ideas that could be put up instead of the whales...

So, you posters mostly do not like the whales . . . and there is a 99 yr lease with Wyland to keep the mural up there? Does he have to retouch it when it fades?

Did you have an organized disapproval when this was being talked about in the city government? Or can you do it now ?

Probably it is a mural to appeal to kids. Whales are beautiful creatures. Wyland has a lot of energy and a good business sense and makes it with art. I think he uses house paint though, I could be wrong.

Wyland went to Arts and Crafts or Center for Creative Studies or College of Art and Design or whatever they call themselves these days. Lisa Frank went to Cranbrook. I know someone who worked for her for a while. She is stuck in that psychodully style with the loud colors and bad draftsmanship. She is wacko, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    Will it possibly need to be removed to fix the tuck-pointing/anchoring on the bricks? It seems real unlikely that the bricks could be serviced without heavily damaging the mural.

It was fun while it lasted, but it's a new day in detroit now that the Broderick is seeing life.
    At one time there was enough extra paint to repair the mural if major work was done on the exterior. Anyone who can zoom in close with a camera will see that the extra paint now appears to be thrown about the interior since it's covering some of the upper story windows in that wonderful aqua blue and green

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Last I heard, Microsoft was looking to get rights to put their own mural up on the building.Name:  BroderickTower1.JPG
Views: 1521
Size:  62.7 KB

Hahaha! Nice one. Seriously, if Microsoft moved to Detroit, that would be awesome. [[Will not happen I think but hey, you can dream you know.)

I think they should have used tigers for the mural. Here's one chasing whales!
    Last edited by Whitehouse; February-24-11 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    The building originally was an art deco design with classical touches. Most of the classical was removed, but it remains a beautiful piece of art deco.

Why do some people think everything is Art Deco? Broderick Tower is not Art Deco nor has it ever been Art Deco. It is best described as Beaux Arts/Neo-Classical.

From Wikipedia...

The structure of Art Deco is based on mathematical geometric shapesThe structure of Art Deco is based on mathematical geometric shapes.

also

Art-deco design influences were expressed in the crystalline and faceted forms of decorative Cubism and Futurism. Other popular themes in Art Deco were trapezoidal, zigzagged, geometric, and jumbled shapes,which can be seen in many early pieces. Two great examples of these themes and styles are in Detroit, Michigan: the Fisher Building and the Guardian Building.

and

The bold use of stepped forms and sweeping curves [[unlike the sinuous, natural curves of the Art Nouveau),[14][25] chevron patterns, the ziggurat, the fountain, and the sunburst motif are typical of Art Deco.