Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default DPS Excellence Award Banquet

OK...I just got back from DPS's 25th annual Excellence Awards Banquet. They honor those students with an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher. There were 384 students and each student was able to choose an "educator" that had an impact on them to accompany them to the banquet. Cooley had 3 students [[the Valedictorian and the co-Salutatorians). I have to say, I am very proud of these kids. The banquet was lovely and the food was pretty darn good [[it was at Cobo). The school board was in attendance as were staff members for each of the kids, plus parents. There were about 1000 folks who turned out for this event.

I just had to share the experience. It's something positive about DPS and the kids [[and the staff who were chosen by each student to receive the Outstanding Educator awards). The staff included anyone...teachers, counselors, attendance agents, etc. I wish everyone could have seen these students...and the positives that come from DPS! I am just one proud teacher right now.

It's refreshing to hear something positive concerning DPS.
    TV, print, blogs, forums mostly accent the negative around here.

You go Teacher.............

I was at the ceremony as well, and it was inspiring. I could not help but notice the large number of parents in attendance. It cannot be a coincidence that so many of these high-achieving students have parents who are involved. Congratulations to all of our wonderful students!

Vince: Why take something positive and turn it ugly? I am applauding these kids for a job well done...it was nice for DPS to do something POSITIVE for the kids for once! Those students in attendance were only from the Class of 2009. Research has shown that parental involvement is directly tied to student achievement.

Detroitteacher...
    I was there as well. I was honored to be among the Mumford educators. I was fortunate to be at the first event of this kind 25 years ago and it has grown since then. As one of the speakers, Sanuel Mixon observed, it's too bad Education Secretary Arne Duncan wasn't there to see close to 400 positive representatives of Detroit's schools. From the dais, the size of the crowd was impressive...and you're right, the food was good [[especially the dessert).

This wasn't the first time I was SUPPOSED to go...it was the first time my invite actually arrived before the event
    I agree, it's great to see so many great kids [[and educators) being recognized for their efforts! It's seeing this type of "moment" for the kids that makes dealing with all we have to deal with worth it...

How did DPS afford to put this Banquet on? I though they were 300 million in the hole.

Retroit Guest

Congratulations to the students and their mentors/role models!

But on the flip side:

384 students
    divided by 95,000 students
    = 0.4%

First, kudos to those graduates achieving a 3.5 or better, to their parents, educators and all others who supported them.

Now, my DPS education tells me that you wouldn't divide 384 by the total population of DPS students. It has already been noted that this is just the 2009 graduating class. Plus, these are the students with 3.5 and higher. Many more might have had 3.0 - 3.49, which is very respectable as well. It is reasonable to assume that population of students would be much greater than 384.

Regardless, if it is only 1 student out of the total population, my DPS education in good citizenship would keep me from tainting or minimizing the accolades due to that student by negative comments. I wouild just congratulate that student and reserve those comments for another time.