Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Food

GUSHI Guest

Default Mexican Food

I been craving Mexican, Whats the best Mexican in the city? And Why?

GUSHI Guest

*Mexican food

Been covered alot but still entertaining. Mexican Village is a little commercialized but consistently good. Both locations too.

Armando's has great food at very reasonable prices! El Barzon on Junction near Michigan Ave. also has great Mexican & Italian food.

One of my personal favorites is Xochimilcos, some people think it is overrated but I think it is great~!

Also, I heard El Barzon is great too, never had the chance to check it out though.

mi pueblo at central and dix have very big menu and lots of meat choices not just standard beef or chicken

I think everywhere in Mexican Town has gone downhill these past couple years. I always go to Loco's in Greektown now. I guess it would be considered more "Texmex", but they have great food. The chicken nacho is my go-to. A small can fill 3 people up and is only about $8

Check out Taqueria Lupitas on Bagley. Great prices, authentic fare, it's where many of the locals dine.

Mexicantown Cafe 24 th and Bagley, where the mexicans go!
    Excellent food!

Guelaguetza Mexican Restaurant

10 Mile and Kelly Rd.

What happened to Plaza De Mexico on 9 mile rd in Eastpointe? It's been closed

I'm a fan of Taqueria Camino Real in Southwest or Maria's Comida in Hamtramck , but man I miss Agave....

BTW , I win the Lotto , I'm bringing an El Azteco to Detroit !!

Quote Originally Posted by Coplin View Post
    I'm a fan of Taqueria Camino Real in Southwest or Maria's Comida in Hamtramck , but man I miss Agave...
    Going on 5 years... still mourning it.

Maria's Comida in Hamtramck is awesome

Los Galanes had a very good buffet, Taqueria Lupita's has great Posale',[[pork and hominy soup), both in mexicantown. I also like Mexican Village.

My newest favorite is off the beaten path from Mexican town near the bridge. It's called Taqueria Mia Pueblo on Dix before you get to Central Ave. if you are taking Vernor from Mexicantown area near the bridge.They have many good eats, [[several types of tacos, great chicken enchiladas, and a shrimp kabob-like dish that is very good too).

Senior Lopez on Michigan Ave. Cheap as hell. Authentic as Guadalajara.

My first choice has always been Mexican Village, but I remember a place called Evie's had some pretty good food. Can't remember where it is and don't know if it's still open.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Guelaguetza Mexican Restaurant

10 Mile and Kelly Rd.
    This is THE BEST! We miss The Alamo, which I'm sure you know was further down the road.

Plaza Mexico is still open, I thought.

I'm just a white guy who knows his Mexican food.
    - Xochimilco's is like Taco Bell with waiters, so if you want cheap and don't care about authenticity then go for it.
    - Los Galanes [[across the corner from Xochi's) is better, with some more authentic offerings but still seems a little Americanized. Their buffet used to be pretty good [[I don't think they offer it anymore?).
    - Evie's is good and inexpensive and still on the "main drag" of Mexicantown. Excellent tamales, great for takeout.
    - Mi Pueblo [[on Dix) is the best that I have found, it's a couple miles west of the main area. Good prices and their food is very authentic [[all the regular stuff + Mexican-style sandwiches, sopa menudo, lengua, cabeza, you name it)

A Mexican restaurant in the Barrio on Junction at Toledo. When we go in the girls are in the front working on seeding roasted hot peppers in big bowls or taking skins from tomatillos - that's how fresh and homemade everything is. Its a great favorite in the community because there is a billiards room right next door and families bring their kids. Pretty much most of the year they roast chickens on grills outside for take-away.

My favorite is El Barzon, I'd call it gourmet mexican and itallion. Next would be Taqueria Camino Real.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    Check out Taqueria Lupitas on Bagley. Great prices, authentic fare, it's where many of the locals dine.
    I second that. They have great food and are very cheap, too. They have great tacos al pastor.

La Tapatia [[sp?) on Vernor across from Clark Park...absolutly amazing Taco's. Both the marinated Beef and Al Pastor are out of this world! they have very good chips and salsa as well.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-tapatia-detroit

Not in the City but we tried Puerto Vallarta in Sterling Heights, I had the diablo shrimp. Man was that stuff spicey and delicioso!

GUSHI Guest

I had Taco Loco @ 24 and Van Dyke today for an early lunch it was pretty good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast