Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ready for $5/gallon Gasoline and Food Price Escalation?!

Well, you'd better be.

Here it comes.

My entire spirit rang out this morning, hearing the news that BP had pulled out of Libya. This Mid-East crisis will grow to consume the entire area.

This is the whiplash from many decades of CIA and State Department manipulation and propping up harsh regimes that just happen to be friendly to the oil companies raping of their countries natural resources.

The oil business is some of the closest to pure evil anywhere on the Earth...closer to crude the MORE raw the evil.

We ARE complicit with this whole deal, too...by our nearly insatiable demands for petrol and oil-derived products.

We ARE part of the problem. I include myself in this analysis, so don't get all holier-than-thou on me.

It is time to start planning your gardens, people. Grow your way out of the coming food crisis. You CAN do it.

Some of you will have to...adjust...your consumption requirements, though. Heh.

Start by reducing your portion size and skipping a few meals now and again, let that natural mamallian fat system burn away some of what you've been storing in it all these years!

Continue by walking where-ever you can...even for groceries and entertainment! I am lucky, I've got the GP shopping district roughly a mile from me, and the Cadieux Cafe and a great beer store close by as well.

Those of you who fled to the outerburbs to escape your fears are going to be in a world of hurt soon. I can just feel it.

Cheers, it is a beautiful day to be alive. This is NOT doom, it is merely an encouraging forecast...if you prepare, you won't suffer as much. It will still suck, but change is always tough on the mere human machine. How much you fight against it will determine your abiity to cope when it is forced upon you.

Food price escalation and downsizing of portions has been going on for a long time already, in case you haven't noticed. Gas prices? Well, I'm curious if all the supposed lefties and progressives out here will give el Presidente NO!bama as much s+*t about it as they gave Bush. There seems to be another 'Silent Majority' out here, much as there 'supposedly' was during the late 60's and early 70's.

The silent majority? Aren't they in the cemetery?

This my freinds is the beginning of the end.......

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    This my freinds is the beginning of the end.......
    Correction: this is the middle of the end. The beginning was a couple of decades ago. We're well down the road.

Yep, were gonna reap the fruits of the 'kick the can down the road' fiscal, social and governmental practices that both the left and the right BOTH have engaged in... For some time the game worked of soothing the masses with the "it's them doing it..." rhetoric which will not stop the pending consequences complicated more by our devaluing currency.

Yummy... will this be available in an organic form for the 'hipster' whole food crowd or just processed and boxed for the less educated 'hamburger helper' teeming masses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-22-11 at 11:12 AM.

As much as I dread sharing my gut instincts on this board...knowing full well that somewhere a yummy ice cream dessert site will have a field-day [[that I'll continue to ignore, they've long lost their appeal to me)...it is always curious when anyone confirms my mystical suspicions.

This thread just popped up on another forum I spend time on...and links to data I had never heard before, although it was published back in December:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...age1368507/pg1

Here are a few of the pertinent links from the first post, for those who don't want to bounce into another discussion:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/2...llon-gas-2012/

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/27/mark...ties/index.htm

Both talk about the SAME fellow's analysis, but in their own way.

All I'm saying is reduce your consumption NOW. Although I cannot deny that being able to fire up my partner's amazing Toro snow-thrower made managing that deluge yesterday morning possible...forcing me into a conundrum, with each pass I felt more like a hypocrite...but the shoveling to the garage alone almost did me in, and I'm in peak health.

I'm going to be biking to my recreation this year, as often as possible. Luckily, I'm well within my comfortable ten-mile distance from most anything fun...so Skipper, you'd better get a bike rack...if you haven't already installed one. You don't want me making the Park Bar my default drinking stop because they accommodate cyclists!

I have already chosen to drive without further consideration ONLY when I'm making money with the trip. If I'm spending, I'll have to more closely analyze how to share the costs by car-pooling or other savings procedures. We'll try to always take the more efficient vehicle, even IF it isn't the most comfortable or fashionable.

But the biggest thing? Well beyond oil consumption...is I'm warning EVERYONE to plant AS MUCH food on your own land as possible this year. Find a way to do even a small greenhouse/hoophouse to increase the range of useful growing time. There are folks in town who are getting THREE SEASONS of harvests from clear plastic sheets stretched over pipe frames.

I am also encouraging people to plant those abandoned lots next door...anything within eyesight of your bedroom, or hearing range of your dogs...because poaching crops will soon be a problem. There will be people who devolve into desperation who will spoil entire crops by stealing before they are fully ripe. Animals, too.

We will have to develope a form of militant gardening, where everyone watches over everyone else's crops.

I think Cub's and Perma Detroit's approach to OPENING the work up to volunteers who can then enjoy the fruits of their labor is the best route...but people MUST learn that they have to work for their food...their sustenance. We've way too many people well-removed from this concept now, it will be a harsh reality for them when federal and state monies finally dry up...but they will.

We are on a road to nowhere in this country...and there appears to be no way to stop it for the bulk of people...but those of us who choose to forge a tomorrow can become a society unto ourselves...planning how we will sustain ourselves outside the crash of the corporate capitalist system, the FAILED American Experiment.

It IS not the beginning of the end. We ARE well along this path. It is up to US to make it a new beginning of it all. Today.

Cheers.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yummy... will this be available in an organic form for the 'hipster' whole food crowd or just processed and boxed for the less educated 'hamburger helper' teaming masses?
    Get over yourself.

Originally Posted by Zacha341
    Yummy... will this be available in an organic form for the 'hipster' whole food crowd or just processed and boxed for the less educated 'hamburger helper' teaming masses?
    And that would be 'teeming' unless the masses have formed an eating team.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    And that would be 'teeming' unless the masses have formed an eating team.
    Awesome. I can't believe I missed that.

Get over 'yourself'... And enjoy a handful! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Get over yourself.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-22-11 at 11:02 AM.

My exurban [[non-farmer) friends already have large gardens, chicken coops, wells, pole barns, access to the most knowledgeable farmers. If shit hits the fan, my money's on them, not a bunch of city slicker foodies growing their heirloom varietals.

LOL! The English language is full of those like "there, their, and they're"!!

There, there -- I'll be more careful in the future. Hah!

Awesome. We can't all be nerfect [[smile)!
    Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Awesome. I can't believe I missed that.

People forget....Remember when gas hit over 4 dollars a gal. Well thats when everything went to hell in a heartbeat....Everything trickled down for food,,heating,,travel...It hit 5 dollars we are all screwed!!!

Funny you should bring this up today. Yesterday I was leaving Orlando Airport and needed gas ASAP. Stopped at the first station I came to, Suncoast Energy was the name. Gas was $5.00+ per gallon even for regular. Down the road at Racetrac it was $3.13.

LodgeDodger Guest

I paid $3.55/gal today for premium.

I sometimes find related stories on detroitgasprices.com. This one today was from Reuters
    Feb 22 [[Reuters) - International Energy Agency [[IEA) chief economist Fatih Birol said on Tuesday that oil prices were in the danger zone and could rise higher if turmoil continues in the Middle East.

Oil prices have soared in recent days on worries over growing violence in crude producer Libya.

The IEA, adviser to 28 industrialised nations on energy policy, expressed its concern about the rise of the oil price earlier this week when its executive director Nobuo Tanaka described the prices as "alarming."

Birol is in Indonesia to attend an oil and gas conference.
    FWIW

Between the unrest all around the globe as well as here in America, food shortage in China, earth quakes in New Zealand, floods in Austrailia and Europe.....I can't help but to think the end may be near....Just sayin. Praise the Lord and pass the ammo......

California is having a major gas shortage right now. Their prices have been soaring. Some gas stations refuse to buy at current wholesale prices.

Out of curiosity, I just checked and the most expensive retail gas in California is in Big Sur at $5.89 per gallon! Yeow! The cheapest is $3.99.

Well thanks to Marathon expansion... prices here are in the $3.60 range...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    California is having a major gas shortage right now. Their prices have been soaring. Some gas stations refuse to buy at current wholesale prices.

Out of curiosity, I just checked and the most expensive retail gas in California is in Big Sur at $5.89 per gallon! Yeow! The cheapest is $3.99.
    $5.89 is low for the Cabrillo highway

$3.99 over by me. First time in a long time I've seen it dip below the $4 mark. But that's because there's a local gas tax of 50 cents a gallon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast