Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Public Meetings regarding shrinking Detroit

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110127-wpms

Did anyone attend any of the public meetings recently held? If so what was your opinion of the method of using the clicker instead of open dialogue? What was the atmosphere in the room like? What are your thoughts?

Does anyone know what the schedule is for future meetings? I will be in town for a few days and would love to attend one.

My information on the shrinking of Detroit primarily comes from the random news article, Detroit Yes posts, relatives from the suburbs, and several activists from the East-side. I would love to learn what the participating communities think of the idea and if it is even feasible based on Youngstown's experience [[http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/...2911298234825/)

I went to the one at Hermann Gardens/NFL Boys Girls Club as a resident. I was turned away at the door so I went home and participated in the e-meeting'. While the facility itself was good for a meeting, the area around it was packed with giant bus like things, cop cars, and parents coming and going while picking up kids. In short the place was far too busy for a meeting where you would expect a lot of attendance. The fact that the area was down many parking spots due to snow piles was also a problem.

For the e-meeting participants we were able to vote, but they did not have key pads. They would show how those in attendance voted. Those attending the e-meeting were also able to ask questions and get responses.

The one bad thing about keypad voting is that it channels the answers. For example if they ask what your priority is, and they list 5 issues, you can only vote on what you find to be most important of those five. Therefore if you think crime is a top issue, and its not listed, you may have to vote for something else or abstain. Keypads really work best for yes no applications or for well defined problems with a set path. I was able to leave additional comments through the e-meeting that I may not be able to otherwise.

In general I do support the plan, but there is a lot of room in it to really screw things up if it is forced onto people. Yesterday's Free Press had a good article on Youngstowns experiences with a similar plan. Did you see it?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; February-21-11 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks Detroit Planner! I did see the article.