Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

DetroitPole Guest

Default State of the City

So I haven't much use for a TV normally...converter box doesn't work, so I only get the Canadian station...but I'd like to watch State of the City on Tuesday night.
    Is there a place to watch it online, or someplace having a dedicated broadcast of it, preferably with adult beverages? My ticket must have gotten lost in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    So I haven't much use for a TV normally...converter box doesn't work, so I only get the Canadian station...but I'd like to watch State of the City on Tuesday night.
    Is there a place to watch it online, or someplace having a dedicated broadcast of it, preferably with adult beverages? My ticket must have gotten lost in the mail.
    You know, if you're downtown, try over at Greenwich Time Pub in Cadillac Square. I bet they'll put it on for you. Cozy atmosphere, pretty quiet, and lots of local regulars. Really great prices on food and drinks as well. The owner's name is Mike, real nice guy.

3. Default

There is going to be an informal DETSOTC watch party at the Painted Lady in Hamtramck. DETSOTC on the big screen and ridiculously cheap drinks. It's at 2930 Jacob.

Everyone is welcome.

If you stop by, say hello--I'll be the redhead in the bright blue eyeglasses.

Edited to add: 7pm!

At 7:00pm go to: www.MyFOXDetroit.com. They are streaming it live.

If someone would be so kind as to put highlights here I'd appreciate it; I'm teaching a class until 8:20 so I won't see it as it happens.

DetroitDad Guest

Sorry, this is full of fragments and horrible spelling and gramar. I had some help jotting down the notes, and am unable to really edit it.

Mayor Bing: We [[Detroit) are a work in progress. Not all has been done to restore the city....

Detroit Police Department Services Consolidation is in the works.

A new culture is being implemented in the police department, including a federal agent being assigned to complete new mandates in how we work with public, prisoners, etc.... crime is down 15%, and new mandates will be reached by years end.

Officers are being redeployed based on crime data. False alarms have been reduced by 25%. Additional uniformed personnel will be returned to the streets.

Police officers will be moving back to Detroit city limits. "Project 14" provides incentives to encourage officers to live where they work.

Detroit is now at a cross roads. We can keep fighting change, or we can shape our future, and shape a new legacy to hand down to our children and grand children. "It will be done, because the people will it to be done". We knew this would test us, but Detroit has faith and a commitment to resolve.

Detroit is growing, built for the automobile, now embracing bicycles, pedestrians, and mass transit....

....We will need to redensify Detroit. It is not viable to keep every neighborhood [[plan will be shared in April). Continuing on the same path will breed the same results. There are skeptics out there. We will NOT be doing the same things anymore. We will NOT get drawn into old arguments and debates. The water fight is a perfect example. We have chosen to contribute towards [[regionalism), but Detroit still built and owns this system. WE will continue to have a majority vote, and will be providing the best services to ALL of our customers....

...We will be focusing on finding and eliminating all corruption and miss management.

And finally, we will focus on running this city more like a business. [[he continues talking about submitting budget audits ahead of schedule, and making sure the city is financially stable in the present, and well invested in the future). By mid-March, we will have our budget submitted to the state.

-Contracting costs will be reduced by 10% [[vaguely mentions how).
    -Will change how labor negotiations are done. Current pension obligations are unsustainable. New contract negotions will be done by Labor Day, and new contractsw completed before the old ones expire.
    -Fire department and EMS response time, as well as 911 services are being improved. Working to bring in $6 million additional dollars. We will also be working with Wayne State and community colleges to get young people infused in these departments.
    -Education must be one of our top priorities [[not discussed in detail).
    -10,000 building demolition plan is moving forward
    -Detroit must become a more business friendly city. We are discussing this with Governor Snyder and President Obama.

General Motors, Quicken Loans, Blue Cross Blue Shield [[rah, rah, rah). Gateway shops at 8 Mile and Woodward is moving forward. Smaller companies [[rah, rah, rah). Yet we still have too many hoops entrepreneurs need to jump through.

In 2011 we will make it possible to apply for permits and other documents. [[top request by business owners).

Light rail down Woodward Avenue will be completed. Final analysis will be public by June, and construction will be started by 2012[[!). This project will bring in $30 million for every $10 million spent. $16 million [[someone please confirm) will be saved in transit costs as well. The private investments in this project show confidence in Detroit, and new developments have already begun because of this project [[some projects discussed).

It is time to look in the mirror. Detroit is on a new track, but we can't do this without you. It is time to ask yourself, what will your contribution me.

Great address Mayor Bing. Let's Get it started!

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    If someone would be so kind as to put highlights here I'd appreciate it; I'm teaching a class until 8:20 so I won't see it as it happens.
    You can read the text of the speech here:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...e-City-address

I also liveblogged it and pulled out some of the highlights here:

http://www.rethinkdetroit.org/2011/0...the-city-2011/

I can't say you missed much. The only news was that the police department will finally come out of federal oversight by the end of the year. I also found it notable that Bing made no mention of Detroit Public Schools. I realize that the schools aren't technically his responsibility, but the Secretary of Education came out last week in support of mayoral control. I don't think Bing wants the job though.

My initial reaction is: Platitudes?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    My initial reaction is: Platitudes?
    Agreed. The speech sounded fine, but it was all boilerplate. No real engagement with the widespread criticism of the Detroit Works Project. And no concrete proposals to improve city services.

At the bar, we played a simple drinking game; one drink for every mention of Obama, one for every Biblical reference. Still sober...

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing unveils plans to cut crime, help neighborhoods, unite region

Promising to reinvent a city battered by a half-century economic skid, Detroit Mayor Dave Bing unveiled plans tonight to reduce crime, create stronger neighborhoods, attract jobs and unite the region during his second State of the City address.

“Detroit is at a crossroads,” Bing told more than 3,000 people at the Max M. Fisher Music Center in Midtown. “We can choose to continue fighting change. We can continue to focus on the vocal minority that would like to see us fail. Or we can embrace this opportunity to shape a new legacy to proudly hand down to our children and grandchildren. It is that simple.”

Acknowledging the enormous challenges and urgency facing a city with a mounting deficit, declining population and major crime problem, Bing urged residents to be patient and understand that change comes with sacrifice as his administration creates “a city that works.”

A key step to that development, Bing said, is better public transportation to bring people to the city for entertainment, shopping and jobs.

By next year, the mayor said, construction on a $500-million project to build light rail along Woodward Avenue should begin. The state is reviewing the city’s environmental impact study — a major new step in the process — and that should be ready for public review in June, Bing said.

“This project is more than an investment in transportation,” Bing said. “It is an economic development tool that will support job growth for large and small businesses along the spine of our city, the Woodward Corridor.”

Continued at: http://www.freep.com/article/20110222/NEWS01/110222079/0/NEWS05/State-City-Bing-unveils-plans-cut-crime-boost-neighborhoods-unite-region?odyssey=nav|head

DetroitDad Guest

I like that he reaffirmed Detroit's commitment to non-auto-centric developments, as well as the M-1 light rail line. As someone currently fighting to keep my family together in Michigan, and open a business in the city, that really gives me reassurance that Detroit is on the right track [[pun not intended).
    Last edited by DetroitDad; February-23-11 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Agreed. The speech sounded fine, but it was all boilerplate. No real engagement with the widespread criticism of the Detroit Works Project. And no concrete proposals to improve city services.
    I could join in criticizing Mayor Bing's State of the City address. Lord knows, I've criticized the man over enough other things. However, there's no point in beating a dead horse.

Instead, I would simply like to congratulate Caspar Milquetoast on his new job as the Mayor's speech writer.

Good job for Mayor Bing. He knows that the party is over in Detroit. People if Detroit must change their ways in order to create a better neighborhoods, city services, businesses and regionalization. Bing opposes Governor Snyder,the NERD'S cut of revenue sharing. He wants 10,000 abandoned buildings demolished and a new incentives to have Detroit Police officers and their families to move to Detroit neighborhoods.

Bing reported that Detroit's deficit has been reduced from $300 million to $150 million. Violent crime has been reduced. The EMS workers needs some improvement and come up with a peace treaty for this water war between the city and suburbs. Keep up the good work, Bing. The ball is in your court.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

While King Bing is doing his thing.

Neda, I miss you so

Only 21 months until the end of Ka'tun.

...pursuing Mayoral control of DPS would probably be career suicide for Bing, even if well-intended.. Rochelle Riley and the Freep main Editorial today mentioned the lack of comments about the public schools, but it would likely have been a backlash if he had gone on at length about his support for Mr. Bobb...

...whatever the critiques of the speech, at least no one can say that he had a Kwame' meltdown...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    At the bar, we played a simple drinking game; one drink for every mention of Obama, one for every Biblical reference. Still sober...
    That should have resulted in at least four drinks for you. How much do you usually drink if you remained sober after that?

Cheers!