Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default East side neighborhood hopes to score Bing's support

BY JOHN GALLAGHER
    DETROIT FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

As Mayor Dave Bing strives to reinvent the city, a small neighborhood on Detroit's east side illustrates the complexity of that challenge.

Gratiot Woods runs south of Gratiot near I-94. Signs of distress include vacant lots and burned-out homes. Yet pockets of renovation include new houses and the popular On the Rise Bakery run by Capuchin friars.

So is the district going up or down? Will it be a winner or a loser in Bing's plan? It's hard to say. Like many Detroit districts, Gratiot Woods is caught between decline and revival.

Continued at: http://www.freep.com/article/2011022.../1002/business

Like many Detroit neighborhoods, Gratiot Woods boasts pockets of development, including the Gratiot Woods Cooperative Apartments for senior citizens, which opened in 2008. But the area also suffers from vacant lots and burned-out homes. / January photos by PATRICIA BECK/Detroit Free Press

http://www.cskdetroit.org/bakery/

Anyone been to the bakery mentioned in the article?
    After looking at their site I think I'm going to check them out.
    God bless the Capuchin friars and the good work that they do.

I stopped by On the Rise Bakery which is mentioned in the article.
    The prices are really good. I spent $11 and got a big loaf of honey wheat bread, 2 cookies, and an apple pie.
    The cookies are really big, sell for a buck and are really good.

Wanted to give a thumbs up to a good bakery, some really nice people who work there, and a very good program.
    It's worth stopping in if you happen to be in the area.