Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

GUSHI Guest

Default Had dinner @ The Whitney last night

My wife and I had dinner at The Whitney last night, what a beautiful manson. Thank God it's still standing. I can honestly say it was one of the best dinners I have ever had. I had the seared salmon and my wife had the blackened escalar. We both were very impressed by the place and it was delicious, would definetly go back.

That's great to hear. Nice to hear some reassuring news.

Good stuff! Good to hear

...where/what is the Whitney, what is its history here?

GUSHI Guest

It was also really busy, I used a Groupn were I payed 39.00 for 80.00 worth of food, Our bill was w/ drinks [[I had 3 beers my wife had 2 glasses of wine) would of total about 107.00 plus tip, 20.00 for the tip, minus 41.00 saving per the Groupon, equal 86.00 for a wonderful dinner and drinks at a beautiful manson.Our waiter said it was really busy due to the Groupon. Thinking about going back soon with some friends from New York next month.

Last time I was there [[at the beginning of this year), they had gotten rid of their free valet parking and were now charging ~$6 or so. Which seems a bit senseless, since the checks the customers pay for fine dining should cover the cost of providing secure parking.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    You've never heard of the Whitney? It's that big honking mansion on Woodward across from MOCAD.

GUSHI Guest

Valet still 6 bucks forgot about that, lol, I paid 6 or 7 at Opus 1 also,I agree with you , they should have free valet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

About $100 a plate.

The Whitney Mansion was built in 1894 for David Whitney, Jr. It was the former home of the Visiting Nurses Association before it was turned into a restaurant. The Whitney is a great place to go for lunch too. They have a wonderful lunch menu all of the entrees are under $10.00 and you get to choose between soup and a salad. It's a lovely place..very elegant...excellent service...delicious food. When I was there for lunch there was no valet but the parking behind the building is always open...so you can park there....Free... Segments of the movie "LOL" with Demi Moore and Mylie Cyrus were filmed inside of the Whitney Mansion this year.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; February-22-11 at 10:46 PM.