Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit article in Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad.

And seeing that you can't read Dutch, and I can, I'll translate the contents here. Google translate does a decent job in translating, but not completely void of errors.

The U.S. city of Detroit offers people money for homes to live. The houses are mostly in rundown areas.

For example, If policemen buy a house for a thousand U.S. dollars, they will get an additional $ 150,000 for renovation.

Detroit is trying to make some run down areas livable again by giving some stimulus to get abandoned houses lived in again, according the the Detroit News this week

Especially the Woodward and Brush Park neighborhoods are characterized by significant vacancy. Detroit has been working with several companies made money available to lure people to these areas.

The measures are primarily motivated by the dilapidated state of the houses. Freelance photographer Kevin Bauman took pictures of hundreds of abandoned houses in Detroit. For these homes you'd get money.

Detroit mayor Dave Bing announced plans to lure police officers back to the ruined neighborhoods. At present a lot of police officers who work in the city live in adjacent cities.

For this plan a subsify pot of thirty million dollars is made available. Due to the fact that the population was cut in half from the figure in 1950, plans to bring back the polulation have been started.

Two hospitals and a university in Detroit also contribute to the incentive plan. In order to brighten the midtown neighborhood employees of the hospitals and the university recieve money of they buy or rent a house. These are a few thousand dollars for tenants and even twenty thousand U.S. dollars for buyers. Also current residents who work in these institutions get money.

Luring back police officers is a genius move. Bring back the law into the neighborhood first, and the rest follows.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; February-19-11 at 11:59 AM.

On a side note, I'd love for Detroit to become America's version of Holland's Amsterdam.

sans the window shopping for hookers,the large park specifically set aside for drug users,and last but not least the toke shops which are kinda nice but would not fly considering the currant laws.

But I do agree that a police car parked in a neighborhood has proven to deter crime and they do go to work everyday not knowing if they are going to return home every night, if anything it is a small gesture of thanks.
    Last edited by Richard; February-19-11 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    On a side note, I'd love for Detroit to become America's version of Holland's Amsterdam.
    We already have one neighborhood with canals.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    sans the window shopping for hookers,the large park specifically set aside for drug users,and last but not least the toke shops which are kinda nice but would not fly considering the currant laws.

But I do agree that a police car parked in a neighborhood has proven to deter crime and they do go to work everyday not knowing if they are going to return home every night, if anything it is a small gesture of thanks.

We could have gotten back New York.

The new nickname would have been:

My favorite radio station: Radio Netherlands Worldwide.

Click the "Now playing" link on the right near the top.