Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ellen Dunham-Jones [[architect) talks about retrofitting suburbs in the future.

Talk she gave at TED where she gives good reasons and recipes for
    retrofitting malls and other disused buildings in troubled suburbs. Surprising new trends I had not heard of where mall properties are being transformed into neighborhoods.

http://newurbandesigner.com/2010/12/...or-the-future/

I have seen some of this stuff discussed in the book "Superbia!"

The only thing is, this is an incredibly expensive proposition. Not all suburbs [[and especially not all exurbs) will be suitable for this retrofit. Some areas will have to return to productive farmland, recreational purposes, or simply greenbelting.

I worry that we could focus too much on the argument, "Oh, we'll just retrofit suburbia for the 21st century!" and ignore the idea of investing in an actual city center. It's good stuff and I like it, I just worry about it being misinterpreted and misapplied.

Yes well, you are right about that being a fearsome thing. When you think of the smart density coupled with proper circulation that the downtown of Detroit has, it is puzzling that more cannot be generated around it. So the issue is, as Brushstart's thread on suburban decline suggests; the need to create a new Detroit Metro entity. The strength of a combined metro is surely the best weapon against further degradation. I think attitudes about Detroit are the single most damaging thing, the idea of a hellhole is perpetuated in order to not deal with it. I see abandoned ruined neighborhoods but I also see a lot an abundance of well maintained houses and a downtown with incredible architecture. If you think of the historical value of pre-war skyscrapers in Detroit relative to what exists elsewhere in the world, it begs the question; Is it OK to forfeit this for a Southfield? I certainly dont think so. But I do think Detroit is on the rebound for that and other reasons.