Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Weird vBulletin Bug?

I've noticed a surprising number of posts where the last word of the first displayed line is duplicated as the first word of the second line. It doesn't happen in all posts but it seems to happen far more often than chance typos would allow.

Not that it matters. It doesn't interfere with anything. It's just a curious bug.

Maybe it's in a word-wrap function?

Which browser? Have a screen snap?

Internet Explorer v8.0.6001.18702

Don't knock yourself out over it. It's only a curiousity.

Here's the HTML code associated with that screenshot:
    HTML Code:
        <blockquote class="postcontent restore">
    HTML Code:
    [color=red]     kelsey, WSU has a very nice Barnes and Noble store. One of the things I discovered very late in college was that many times you could get your college books at King's Bookstore which is the world's largest used bookstore [[takes up an old four-story factory, with an annex in another building!).  King is not far from WSU.[/color]
    [color=red]    </blockquote>[/color]
    There's no duplicate "college" there. The fault must be in the browser.

LOL! Those HTML code controls don't look or work anything like they did in the preview.

Not your problem, Lowell.

Oh well. Software entropy happens.

[[I've given up on software quality. It's hopeless.)

Nah, it is just the overlords at the NSA trying to induce minor mental distractions to ya, Jimaz! They play games to move time along...

Thanks for that and it beats me as to what is happening. The diffusion of browsers has created havoc for website design. Add to that the arrival of the more numerous and primitive mobile browsers and OS' and it is a major and growing headache. IE is the absolute worst although they may be on a better path with v. 9. Firefox was nice but is too slow and has crash issues.

I have gone to Chrome for my default. It is much faster, more W3 compliant and crashes less than IE and Firefox. For now anyway.

The browser wars make me kind of dewy eyed for the days when IE held 95% of the market even if the evil empire ruled it.

Tonight I noticed one of these [[apparently) duplicated words had appeared in one of my own posts. Forever the persnicket, I went to correct the "error" only to find that it didn't exist in the editor window. There was nothing there to correct. No duplicate.

Despite our best efforts, the software crisis has not been eradicated by engineering discipline alone.

What next do you suggest we try, software industry? [[< an exasperated rhetorical question)
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-23-11 at 12:14 AM.

This issue has been discussed on the vBulletin Community Forum.

Thanks, vetalalumni, is there a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Thanks, vetalalumni, is there a link?
    http://www.vbulletin.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Could you be more specific? There's a lot of stuff to wade through there! Thanks.

Yeah, i can't find anything either,

Search the vB forum by appropriate key word[[s). Lowell, with your paid-level customer service support, your access is above the self serve provided to everyone else. Now since you are usually very busy, vB may allow you to designate an ambitious DYES subordinate to do this type of work for you and DYES.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; September-24-11 at 08:19 PM.