Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Revival of the downtown library on Library Street...

Though living out of state now, I was heartened to find during the Winter Blast last weekend to see the downtown library branch open. I remember when living in Corktown in the '90s that the downtown library was sealed and shield for the demolition implosion of the J.L. Hudson's building. [[Did that occur in Oct 98?)

I seem to remember the downtown library not re-opening to the public as a branch in the years following the Hudson's building demolition. Wasn't it relegated to some administrative use for years? When did the downtown branch library re-open as a branch library? Was the interior renovated? I took a quick look inside the library last Saturday and it looked good.

It is beautiful. I use it all the time as a quiet little getaway.

I don't know what the history of it is, but I went there from time to time in 2005-2008.

But when was it renovated and re-opened. I left Mich in '03 and seem to remember the downtown branch still being closed then. I would go in the downtown branch in the '80s and '90s and read foreign newspapers like South China Morning Post.

The Downtown Library is now known as the Skillman Library... after the well funded Skillman Foundation [[which spends all of its' money in Detroit). The Skillman Foundation gave $5 million for the renovation of this library, and it was renamed in their [[Rose & Robert Skillman's) honor.

http://detroit1701.org/Skillman%20Library%20Branch.html

The foundation has continued to donate to this treasure in downtown... and you can rest assured that it is in no danger of closing!

LodgeDodger Guest

This is one of my favorite libraries--ever! This building houses the National Automotive History Collection. It is a Detroit treasure. Also, the Skillman Library is the site of the last public hanging in Michigan.

This morning's news had a blurb how the DPL is laying off 20 percent of its staff.

I am not familiar with the library as of yet more so with the backers of the 3M ,

I was raised in the outside burbs of Minneapolis,I had a friend whos grandfather worked for 3M during the depression,he told me about how at the time when nobody else had jobs or food 3M retained as many employees as possible ,they did this by paying them a barley sustainable wage but gave them company stocks in return.

These employees then use what they could or even pooled together to help feed even more people ,back then there was very few social programs ,so if you had a family to feed and no food a bag of donated beans was a god send.

Granted a lot of millionaires were created after the depression because of this who went on to spread the wealth.After hearing this story I have tried to support 3M in anyway possible as a corporation. This is another exemplary example of a corporations dedication to giving back to the citizens that supported them.

Kudos to the Skillman's and after seeing this posting I am glad that I have always kept the faith when it comes to 3M.

Rose and Robert Skillman were very wise in their investments, and the foundation that Rose later founded has likewise done extremely well. From what I've read the foundation now has something in the ballpark of $600 million.

It may not be among the richest foundations in the USA... but for Detroit it has been a Godsend....

DetroitDad Guest

Default Skillman Branch Library, Detroit, Michigan

I love this library. It has to be my favorite spot to read, get work done, and post in the Winter. The Skillman Branch was also a perspective spot to hold our wedding ceremony, at one point. It sounds weird to have your wedding in a library, until you've seen how beautiful it is.

These photos don't do it justice;

Last edited by DetroitDad; February-19-11 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Pictures Added

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I love this library. It has to be my favorite spot to read, get work done, and post in the Winter. The Skillman Branch was also a prospective spot to hold our wedding ceremony, at one point. It sounds weird to have your wedding in a library, until youv'e seen how beautiful it is.
    it really is amazing in there.

Here's a link to an article about the renovation work done in early 2003,
    http://www.detroitbuildingtrades.org...3.html#gangbox