Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Remembering Madison-Lenox and other treasures

I came across this website at the request of my boss after mentioning I'd never seen the inside of the Metropolitian Building [[spoilers to come). I'm sure the site has been discovered before by one of us proud Detroiters before. If not, enjoy.

http://www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/madlen

Quote Originally Posted by Genesyxx View Post
    I came across this website at the request of my boss after mentioning I'd never seen the inside of the Metropolitian Building [[spoilers to come). I'm sure the site has been discovered before by one of us proud Detroiters before. If not, enjoy.

http://www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/madlen

While I am all for saving historic buildings, and I agree the way the M-L was torn down was beyond sleazy, I have to say that I really don't miss it. Those buildings just weren't that interesting. They were just old.

It's hard to see what a positive it is to have refurbished old architecture when it's bulldozed. You know, you can't miss what you never saw. Take a look at the B-C hotel. You'd miss that if it were gone. But that's the game plan, you know: Let old buildings fall apart so that they can be declared eyesores that then fall to the ball and aren't missed.

As for the M-L, thank goodness it has been replaced with that "gateway park" for the stadium, just as they promised.

Oh, wait ...

Speaking of the Madison-Lenox and sleazy demolitions, on the off chance that anyone is interested, here is my first hand account of the day demo began on the M-L.

http://nemecek.blogspot.com/2005/05/...u-will-go.html

Unfortuately, looking at the backside fire escapes and dumpsters of the Harmonie Club and Milner Hotel is even less interesting... especially when viewed from across an acre of asphalt.

Harmonie Park WAS one of the most intimate squares in Detroit... now without the side of the Madison-Lenox facing the square, that intimacy is much less so.

Also, if nothing is built by Ilitch Holding within a set period of time on that parking lot... then the $700,000 loan becomes immediately due.

The difference is that the BC building was one of the most beautiful buildings in Detroit even when it was a wreck. The Madison-Lennox wasn't that interesting even in its heyday. Would I rather it had gotten renovated? Of course. But to me it's not in the top 20 buildings I would have liked to see renovated in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The difference is that the BC building was one of the most beautiful buildings in Detroit even when it was a wreck. The Madison-Lennox wasn't that interesting even in its heyday. Would I rather it had gotten renovated? Of course. But to me it's not in the top 20 buildings I would have liked to see renovated in Detroit.
    I don't know how you arrive at the conclusion that the M-L wasn't interesting. It had an odd mix of facade styles, anchored a major street, provided shade and continuity to a unique urban space, and, frankly, who knows what it would have looked like if it had been spruced up?

Anyway, at least we have that terrific parking lot. That looks a lot better.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion, but please acknowledge that it's just your opinion and not some kind of objective fact. I always thought the Madison-Lenox was one of the more interesting buildings downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion, but please acknowledge that it's just your opinion and not some kind of objective fact. I always thought the Madison-Lenox was one of the more interesting buildings downtown.
    Of course it's my opinion. And the above is yours. Yes, I'd prefer a building in that space rather than a parking lot. But I still don't think those buildings were any more interesting to look at than dozens of other buildings around the city that need renovation. It did happen to be in a good location. I'm much more upset about the Statler and Lafayette buildings being gone.

I think that the BuildingsOfDetroit's website images shows the M-L as a very attractive complex...
    http://buildingsofdetroit.com/conten...tage-postcards

Granted it may not have been in the top 20 architectural buildings downtown... but it was still a sad loss of a grand structure that once complemented the Italian Renaissance Piazzo style Detroit Athletic Club club across the street. It was a great loss for a grand boulevard... Madison Ave.

While the M-L was a horrible mess, it could have been restored into something nice. There was an architectural rendering showing the possibilities it could have been done. What a rich architectural streetwall it could have become.

Does a building need to be "interesting" or be a named Historic Landmark in order to be preserved???

As bland as some people think the Madison-Lenox may have been, it beat the shit out of any glass box.

Or parking lot for that matter. Funny how some people are so use to seeing empty lots where buildings use to be that they prefer it over a developed lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Does a building need to be "interesting" or be a named Historic Landmark in order to be preserved???

As bland as some people think the Madison-Lenox may have been, it beat the shit out of any glass box.