Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Miguel Cabrera Arrested for DUI In Florida

According to the police report, a St. Lucie County Sheriff’s deputy arrested the 27-year-old Wednesday night at 11:14 p.m.

The deputy pulled up to Cabrera’s car, which was on the side of the road with the smoke coming from the engine of his vehicle.

Police say Cabrera smelled of alcohol, had slurred speech and took a swig from a bottle of Scotch in front of a deputy

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/02/...lucie-florida/

Hearing this does not bode well for the young man. For all of that immense talent he obviously can't overcome that demon in the bottle. I honestly thought he did great last year considering how he had that run-in the year before. He performed up to MVP level and I had honestly hoped that he had his life in order.

And now this? Is this Bob Probert all over again?

For his sake, above and beyond playing baseball- I hope he gets his life in order. It's disappointing to hear from a fan's perspective and even more sad to hear on a human level know he's spiraling his life away in a bottle of scotch.

Good take, Smog. Here's my thoughts.

Ok. A few days have since passed and by listening to 97.1 and reading other commentaries in the News, I will apparently come across as being one of those in the minority. Leyland, Dombrowski, and anyone else within the Tigers organization are under absolutely no obligation to come out and publicly chastise Miguel just to satisfy the sanctimonious masses. As a fan, and only a fan, truth be told, I don't really care all that much about any superstars personal problem[[s). As a human being, yes, I hope the guy gets straight and goes on to the achieve the greatness that can lie ahead for him.

We have right here in our midst, and we are all living to see it, perhaps one of the greatest ball players of all time. Is that reason enough to overlook this incident, let the Organization and MLB handle it, and relieve us all from having to somehow be a part of Miguel's mess? As a fan - yes.

He's a full grown adult. Leave him alone, I say. Let those closest to him help, advise, discipline, guide, assist him.

As a die-hard Tiger's fan, it's just a little too close to "play ball" time for me to let this guy's problems interfere with my love and enjoyment of the game.

Who?

I am shocked and appalled by Cabrera's actions. I question his decision making. How could anyone buy imported Scotch whiskey when there are so many really good American whiskey's out there. For someone with his salary I would recommend the Pappy Van Winkle 23 yr old bourbon or the Rittenhouse 25 yr old rye.

Out of a job yet? Keep drinking foreign.
    Last edited by Downriviera; February-20-11 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Who?

Who what? Miguel Cabrera. You must not be that big of a Tigers fan.

I feel sorry for him, that's all.

So, another jock got busted doing something stupid?

How is that news?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    So, another jock got busted doing something stupid?

How is that news?
    Obviously not to you because you're not a sports fan but to the people who are die hard Tigers fans and sports fans, it's tragic. He's their team's star. He's a perennial MVP candidate. He's immensely talented. You just don't get it or follow baseball enough to care so why even comment on someone else for their caring?

Hell, even on a human level- one still should have some sympathy for a guy who screwed up royally even if he was just an average joe on the street. Cabrera's still someone's husband, son, father and brother at the end of the day. If you choose not to think it's news- that's obviously your prerogative to do so. There's a ton of "news" stories out there that I could care less about but it doesn't make them any less news worthy to the people it affects.

Now if you want to bag on Cabrera or say give us a reason to support or hate him, that's fine. At least then, you're making some hopefully informed opinions.

The stark reality is, he has a serious drinking problem, and young kids look up to him. If that's how he wants to give example to them, it's his business.