Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cool picture - Majestic Bldg. at Campus Martius

I was reading about the David Whitney Bldg. restoration on Model D and in the article they mentioned the Majestic Bldg. as being another Detroit building designed by the same architect. I was curious what the building looked like because the Whitney is beautiful, and found a great picture of it that can be enlarged to a huge size, showing not only the building in great detail, but much of the surrounding area of Campus Martius. It was apparently demolished in 1962 to make way for the 1001 Woodward tower. I really wish it was still there instead.

Anyways, here's the link: Majestic

Wow, WOW. What a beautiful building. It's a shame nobody could think of anything to do with it other than demolishing it.

That link doesn't work for me. But here's another link to a Shorpy posting of what I believe is the same picture
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/6839?size=_original

It also shows a little piece on the left of an even more tragically lost piece of our history, Detroit's old City Hall. The moonlight towers still stand, but in Austin, TX.

The Majestic Building was a beautiful building that sadly was torn down... another beautiful tall building lost was the Hammond Building nearby to build the former NBD HQ [[now Chase Tower).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammond_Building

And then there was the old Ponchartrain Hotel... a shortlived 1906 beautiful building that came down in 1922 for the First National Building.

The Majestic Building was built for Mabley and Company to use as thier main store. Unfortunately the store went out of business before it could move all operations into it. They had previously been scattered thoughout the CBD in several storefronts.

It was named the Majestic because there were M's that were already put into the building and it was easier to name the building something with an M than it woould be to remove the M's,

This is very reminiscent of the First National Building to me.