Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gay pride festival moving into Detroit

Ferndale — After a 10-year run in Ferndale, an annual gay pride festival is moving to downtown Detroit.

The change will allow a larger crowd for the Motor City Pride Festival and expand it to two days, organizers said.

"This gives us the greater visibility," said Denise Brogan-Kato, interim executive director of Equality Michigan, a gay advocacy group. "At the end of the day, we do call it Motor City Pride. It's going to be a lot of fun."

The festival, which has featured marches and commitment ceremonies, draws about 45,000 people annually. It celebrates its 25th anniversary this year. The festival will be June 4-5.

http://detnews.com/article/20110215/...#ixzz1E1Aa22s8

The article doesn't mention where it's going to actually be held, and I can't think of any areas of Detroit that are as "friendly" to the cause the way Ferndale [[with all their merchants) naturally is.

My guess is that the move was prompted by a back room squabble over fees levied by Ferndale [[police, parking, clean-up, etc.).

The word around here is that the event will be held at Hart Plaza.

As far as what caused them to move; could be fees. We've had some real challenging budget issues. As these events have grown more city services are needed to facilitate them; thus more is charged.

I don't recall many issues with the event; a lot less complaining about this event verses other big events like the Dream Cruise, which the city essentially looses money on.

Wish them well; perhaps we'll see them back some time in the near future.

Regardless of whether or not they call it Motor City Pride, Ferndale is the area's "gayborhood" by default. It seems a bit strange to arbitrarily drop Pride in Hart Plaza [[if that is in fact where it's going) over the 9 mile commercial area that has been pretty welcoming to teh gheys over the years. So instead of the various gay and gay friendly places that have congregated in Ferndale being packed and probably having their best weekend of the year....they'll be totally empty as the entire ghey community will be standing around the concrete parking lot that is hart plaza. I really don't get this decision. Maybe it will work, but I see both Pride and Ferndale coming out as losers on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    The word around here is that the event will be held at Hart Plaza.

As far as what caused them to move; could be fees. We've had some real challenging budget issues. As these events have grown more city services are needed to facilitate them; thus more is charged.

I don't recall many issues with the event; a lot less complaining about this event verses other big events like the Dream Cruise, which the city essentially looses money on.

Wish them well; perhaps we'll see them back some time in the near future.

The more likely explanation is that if the event is in hart plaza, the organizers will have a monopoly on concessions. Which means all profits from beer sales go to them, and not to the myriad bars of Ferndale. That's a LOT of money. It's unlikely Detroit is going to charge them any less than Ferndale did as far as fees go. You'll be giving them your $6 for a beer at a booth instead of hitting Rosie's patio and grabbing one for a couple bucks, and it all goes in their pocket.
    Last edited by Johnlodge; February-15-11 at 09:20 AM.

Yep, that looks about right. Pride is on record now stating that they wanted a bigger place where they didn't have to close streets, etc. Further, Pride is also saying that the costs are pretty much the same between renting out Hart Plaza and having it in downtown Ferndale.

Yeah, looks like the '11 page is up now....
    Equality Michigan is excited to announce that Motor City Pride will be honoring its heritage by holding the 2011 festival in Hart Plaza, Detroit, Michigan on June 4 and 5, 2011. Twenty-five years ago, the first pride march in Michigan was held in Downtown Detroit; we will celebrate that march by bringing the festival to Detroit.
    Ok well, maybe by stepping things up to a larger venue will make it feel more like a "real" Pride by having it downtown. I'll definitely go check it out. Especially now that it's not limited to sunday. Hopefully it works and hopefully the organizers are right in their assessment that Pride has outgrown Ferndale and vice versa.

I know I should not be surprised by it, but it was amazing to see how fast the hate fueled idiocy started up on the freep when that story was posted. There were the religious bible thumpers who say the bible says that the gays are evil, the people who say that it is all psychological, and one person encouraging concealed weapons people to attend and exercise their right to bare arms and hinting at them shooting people in attendance. I really wish our society would get beyond such rhetoric and just be all inclusive but that is a fantasy I guess. Although I will say that I personally find gay pride to be a bit stupid, I mean you dont see straight pride festivals out there do you? I went with some friends a few years ago and while it is mostly a lot of people just hanging out and having fun, there are also some really oddball charecters who were wearing barely any clothing. I know everyone should have a right to express themselves, but when the way you express yourself becomes a target for hate in such a way that it labels the whole group maybe you should tone it down a notch. I am by no means saying that the glbt community should be in hiding but on the other hand I don't think you need to walk around in ass-less chaps or a thong either.

People who hate or fear gays are usually gay, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok1981 View Post
    I know everyone should have a right to express themselves, but when the way you express yourself becomes a target for hate in such a way that it labels the whole group maybe you should tone it down a notch. I am by no means saying that the glbt community should be in hiding but on the other hand I don't think you need to walk around in ass-less chaps or a thong either.
    Because a large gay community is pretty absent from Detroit, what you may not understand [[and many choose to ignore) is that Pride is a party, not a representation of daily gay life. I think what gets lost about "pride" today is that it's less about activism and really its just a big gay version of mardi gras. None of those freep commenter are worried about straight folks throwing beads to see tits flashed on bourbon street or dressing in elaborate or revealing outfits. Is popping one's top, dressing in drag and public drunkeness and debauchery generally accepted as appropriate daily behavior? of course not. But our federal government moved mountains and spent billions to make sure Mardi Gras happened after Katrina because everyone recognized how important those dollars were to NO. Is wearing ass less chaps appropriate daily wear? no. but some people like to wear it to let the freak flag fly once a year.
    Last edited by bailey; February-15-11 at 12:29 PM.

I guess im pretty shocked, and somewhat happy that the city of Detroit Will be hosting such an event. We limit ourselves to tradition and not open to innovation. Gay pride goers should be exposed to the greatness of our region, Like access to the Ren Cen, Sports arenas, The River walk, The people mover, Historical buildings [[Gays love history), and Greektown. This will be a really good way for the Gay community to expand their influence and their dollars.

Detroit actually has a substantial gay community. It's not NYC, San Francisco, Atlanta, etc. but it is not a small gay community by any means. However, Detroit's community has always been scattered with a noticeable concentration along the Woodward/6 Mile to Wooward/12 Mile corridor. Otherwise, you will find a larger population living in average neighborhoods throughout the entire metro Detroit area. Detroit's gay and lesbians are used to living in a decentralized community. It has been that way forever and will most likely be that way 100 years from now.

In many ways I think the move to downtown for the pride fest is just indicative of the fact that the LGBT community is scattered everywhere throughout the metro area and what would be more appropriate that having it in the center city? Downtown has more open space and much more parking than Ferndale. Not that there is anything wrong with Ferndale, but possibly the festival has outgrown Ferndale?

Yes, I think the event has grown us; which I guess is kind of a good thing because it reflects that the event is a growing event and Ferndale had a hand in helping make it a success.

It looks like the coordinators are based in Detroit; perhaps there is a little "bring it local" there for the organization; I dunno for sure.

DetroitPole Guest

While many people regard Ferndale as Metro Detroit's gayborhood, this NYT map indicates [[albeit they are ACS estimates) that places in Detroit such as Indian Village, Boston-Edison, and Woodbridge have substantially more gay couples than Ferndale:
    http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer
    Also keep in mind that by sheer population numbers, far more gay people live in Detroit than any other municipality in the state.
    Ferndale is undoubtedly gay friendly in many ways, but it begs the question, do a few stores with rainbow flags outside a gayborhood make?

Personally I'm for anything that brings people to Detroit but I prefer neighborhood festivals to the big crap where you have to spend $8.00 for a beer. You'd certainly find me at Dally before you'd find me at DEMF.

Ferndale is undoubtedly gay friendly in many ways, but it begs the question, do a few stores with rainbow flags outside a gayborhood make?
    And a gay community center, and a gay bookstore, and a gay bar, and a gay club....
    Last edited by Johnlodge; February-15-11 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    While many people regard Ferndale as Metro Detroit's gayborhood, this NYT map indicates [[albeit they are ACS estimates) that places in Detroit such as Indian Village, Boston-Edison, and Woodbridge have substantially more gay couples than Ferndale:
    http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer
    Also keep in mind that by sheer population numbers, far more gay people live in Detroit than any other municipality in the state.

Personally I'm for anything that brings people to Detroit but I prefer neighborhood festivals to the big crap where you have to spend $8.00 for a beer. You'd certainly find me at Dally before you'd find me at DEMF.

1. DEMF is way better and no one there is drinking beer.

2. That is an awesome map. i didn't see where they posted how many gay couples lived in each tract.

3. The separation of races is very dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    It seems a bit strange to arbitrarily drop Pride in Hart Plaza [[if that is in fact where it's going) over the 9 mile commercial area that has been pretty welcoming to teh gheys over the years.
    Downtown isn't exactly a hotbed for country music either, but that hasn't gotten in the way of the Hoedown flourishing at Hart Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok1981 View Post
    I know I should not be surprised by it, but it was amazing to see how fast the hate fueled idiocy started up on the freep when that story was posted. There were the religious bible thumpers who say the bible says that the gays are evil, the people who say that it is all psychological, and one person encouraging concealed weapons people to attend and exercise their right to bare arms and hinting at them shooting people in attendance. I really wish our society would get beyond such rhetoric and just be all inclusive but that is a fantasy I guess. Although I will say that I personally find gay pride to be a bit stupid, I mean you dont see straight pride festivals out there do you? I went with some friends a few years ago and while it is mostly a lot of people just hanging out and having fun, there are also some really oddball charecters who were wearing barely any clothing. I know everyone should have a right to express themselves, but when the way you express yourself becomes a target for hate in such a way that it labels the whole group maybe you should tone it down a notch. I am by no means saying that the glbt community should be in hiding but on the other hand I don't think you need to walk around in ass-less chaps or a thong either.
    Lots of religious and straight based parties and festivals feature people walking, parading around barely clothed or naked. Mardi Gras is the first one to come to mind. Ever been to N' Awlins or Rio? Mardi Gras is 'Fat Tuesday', or as we call it here, 'Punchki Day'. Those pesky catholics never need to be reminded that if they're going to be fasting and doing penance for a month or so, they need to let it all loose for a month or so - prior to. Gives 'em something to confess. I know that Mardi gras is hardly a catholic celebration anymore, but it's still based upon 'straight', 'christians', preparing to do penance. BTW, your comments about 'Gay Pride' echo those of people who don't have a clue about any kind of pride except that which still predominates - 'White', 'Male' pride. Blacks were not allowed to live their lives normally for centuries, much as Gays couldn't come out of the closet. A few years or centuries of celebrating 'Pride' may someday rectify their inability to even self-acknowledge their existence. I lived in SF for a few years. I didn't like everything I saw while there. But most of it was non-violent. Much more than I can say about a large part of our world culture. Also, you might feel less upset if you join the partiers. Start out with a full costume so you can hide your shame, slowly removing bits of costume as you go, finally letting it all hang out. Might feel quite catholic, errrr, I mean cathartic.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; February-15-11 at 02:49 PM.

i haven't liked ferndale as much since most of the gays left.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Downtown isn't exactly a hotbed for country music either, but that hasn't gotten in the way of the Hoedown flourishing at Hart Plaza.
    Like!!!!!!!

Excellent Point....

That is a good point. How has it survived down there this long? Didn't it start there in the early 80s?

While I am far removed from the Detroit area LGBTIQQA community is both years [[since I left in the 1980's) and distance [[being on the west coast), I think this move is a good one. The city of Detroit needs more diversity among its residents, and raising the profile of this community in the city is a positive step.

If and when hart plaza [[or wherever) in Detroit is secured as the festival site, as the publicity starts to spread I wonder how long it will be before folks start carping at city council meetings and city charter commission meetings..

When we do the downtown Movie Palace Tours in the summer, we are often there during the Caribbean Parade and Festival.... a festive occasion....

... a little more leather... and the downtown regulars won't know the difference.... LOL....

http://michpics.wordpress.com/2009/0...de-in-detroit/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast