Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Snyder tells soul food lunch crowd Michigan can't come back without Detroit

Oralandar Brand-Williams / The Detroit News

DetroitMichigan Gov. Rick Snyder dropped by U.S. Appeals Judge Damon Keith's 24th annual Soul Food Luncheon today, saying Detroit needs to be on the path to being a "great city" for Michigan to reinvent itself.

"Part of the quality of place [[for the reinvention of Michigan) is having Detroit on a path of being a great city and we are going to have that happen again," said Snyder.

Snyder, who has repeatedly reached out to Detroit, is the first Republican governor to attend the event. Jennifer Granholm, a Democrat, attended in 2004, when then U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, D-Detroit, received an award.

During his short speech, Snyder applauded Keith's history as a judge and mentor to younger lawyers and judges, calling him a "role model."

"You are a legend in our community," said Snyder told Keith. "We can all learn from and use you as a guide."

Snyder added that "we need to celebrate all the state's diverse history and Judge Keith has been a part of that."

More than an estimated 500 people, many from metro Detroit's legal, business and civic arenas, attended the event in Keith's chambers downtown.
    Faye Nelson, the president and CEO of The Detroit RiverFront Conservancy, was honored during the luncheon.

"This is a very special occasion. As we honor Faye Nelson it is symbolic of the Soul Food honorees of the past including Aretha Franklin [[and) Rosa Parks…" said Keith during the program. The event included a catered buffet of standard soul food cuisine, and a 11/2 hour-long program recognizing the guest of honor and others in the legal community. "We acknowledge during Black History month those blacks who have done so well and made us so very proud.

Nelson, who attended the event with her two daughters, her husband and a sister, said she was proud to receive the honor.

"What a privilege and wonderful gesture of love and support," Nelson said.

The Detroit RiverFront Conservancy oversees the restoration and has permanent stewardship of the Detroit riverfront. The restoration of the riverfront includes the RiverWalk, newly-created green space, and several miles of walking areas where families and individuals can enjoy the Detroit River.

This isn't just our new governor telling the people at this gathering in Detroit what they want to hear... but him telling ALL the people of Michigan what they should hear...

His conciliatory attitude towards Detroit... i.e. Metro Detroit.... is a refreshing change after 3 governors who seemed to be ambivalent...

Amazing, a political leader in Michigan with a clue........

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    This isn't just our new governor telling the people at this gathering in Detroit what they want to hear... but him telling ALL the people of Michigan what they should hear...

His conciliatory attitude towards Detroit... i.e. Metro Detroit.... is a refreshing change after 3 governors who seemed to be ambivalent...
    Can't wait to see the complete reversal of opinion about him when the axe falls on Thursday.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Amazing, a political leader in Michigan with a clue........
    I am waiting until Thursday to register my assessment of that. His revenue sharing proposal, which is slashing the non constitutional portion to none, is not very city friendly in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    Can't wait to see the complete reversal of opinion about him when the axe falls on Thursday.
    +1 on that. I'm thinking there should be a betting poll on how many times "worse than john Engler" epitaph gets thrown around.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    I am waiting until Thursday to register my assessment of that. His revenue sharing proposal, which is slashing the non constitutional portion to none, is not very city friendly in my opinion.
    Would you rather have him spend money that he dosent have?

When his budget proposes eliminating all major tax credits, including the state historic preservation tax credit, and the brownfield credit, there is going to be an uproar. If those programs are eliminated, major renovations of vacant structures in the City will come to a grinding halt. The Book Cadillac, Broderick Tower, etc. renovations would not have happened if even one of the major tax incentive programs were unavailable. I also shudder to think of the effect on residential rehabs if the historic credit is eliminated. Just look at Ferry St. in Midtown for an example of why we need to keep the historic credit. That street is empty and blighted without it.

Well, the state is broke. There is nothing stopping Detroit from stepping in and matching those credits....oh wait Detroit is broke too.

"Part of the quality of place [[for the reinvention of Michigan) is having Detroit on a path of being a great city and we are going to have that happen again," said Snyder.

Seeing that he made this statement in this type of event bothers me. It's simply glad-handing to people who have clout in majority "minority" Detroit.

Since I don't live up that way, I can't say I have heard anything of the coming budget announcement. But it's interesting to know that he views the city as being on its way to a revival. However, if his budget indeed guts many of the programs that have made it possible, what will he say in 4 years when much of this has ceased and the city declines further or stagnates?

Was this before or after he asked them to pass the chitlins and blackeyed peas?
    Where will all the love be after the hammer falls?

...so what was served for the meal? how much did Snyder eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    He ate some irrelevant with a side of racist, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Probably not much. He was also at the economic development club lunch too.

Can we all agree at least that tax credits currently feed upon those of us who are currently paying taxes, and likely forces us to pay more in taxes than we should, had they not given huge tax breaks to others. In fact, I would say that most development has waited until they get the humongous tax breaks to actually attempt any development. If everyone were on level tax playing field, perhaps more development would be completed as tax rates would be lower overall.....Long term tax efficency, that should be the goal.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gambling Man View Post
    Can we all agree at least that tax credits currently feed upon those of us who are currently paying taxes, and likely forces us to pay more in taxes than we should, had they not given huge tax breaks to others. In fact, I would say that most development has waited until they get the humongous tax breaks to actually attempt any development. If everyone were on level tax playing field, perhaps more development would be completed as tax rates would be lower overall.....Long term tax efficency, that should be the goal.
    +1 on that note.

The amount of money that was made off the State taxpayer's backs in the City of Detroit is ridiculous. The worst part is that a ton of the projects are now defunct. The Developer took the cash and walked.

What I really hate is that people around here think they can do everything ass-backwards and it will work.

Maybe they should have waited for DEMAND before they flooded the market with empty lofts?

Same can be can said about the hotels as well. Bye Bye Westin!!!
    Last edited by lincoln8740; February-15-11 at 06:49 PM.

Snyder needs to get his office of Urban Issues up and going, and include components of dealing with micro-loans to develop detroit based small businesses... connect new entrepreneurs with mentors, resources for accounting, seeking other sources of capital, investment strategies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Would you rather have him spend money that he dosent have?
    No. I would rather have him raise funds that certain residents of this state DO have, and then spend on programs with economic spinoff [[read: business incubators, free broadband in dense areas, and transportation infrastructure investment) and not cutting desperately needed social services.

A recent survey done by Wayne State University revealed that 60%+ of Michiganders support a graduated income tax [[one in which those who are wealthier are taxed at a higher rate) to generate revenue for the state and oppose a cuts only budget. See the study here: http://www.media.wayne.edu/2010/10/0...upport-move-to

That is what I would like to see. The will of the people carried out, not draconian cuts by an accountant with no clue about how the public sector is supposed to function.