Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Public Library Stacks???

Does anyone out there know if the Detroit Public Library Stacks have been digitized? For instance I was looking for the full text of an article written in the Indiana Magazine of History dated December 1948 on an article written about Col. John F. Hamtramck by a guy by the name of F. Clever Bald and the article is on pp. 335-354. I went to the Detroit Public Library website and either couldn't figure out how to access old magazines from the stacks or they just aren't available on line. Can anyone shed some light on this topic?

lilpup Guest

Why on Earth would you think DPL has digitized their stacks? Libraries can't just do that willy-nilly.

hmm... it would take a lot of money.. i guess.. better to get the money from some kind of philanthropic grant..

Did you try searching Google Books?

http://books.google.com/

Select materials from the DPL stacks have been digitized. You will find them here: http://www.detroitpubliclibrary.org/...ollections.htm

Otherwise, as is the case with the magazine you are looking for, you will have to request the materials in person. The magazine you are looking for would most likely be found in the Burton Historical Collection [[located on the North end of the first floor of the Main Library). If you present the reference librarian with the title, he or she will fetch it for you and let you look at it, but not let you take it out. There are copy machines in the BHC.

All material that one finds on the online catalog but not on the shelves in the browsing area can be requested at the appropriate department's reference desk [[e.g. If you are looking for a Studs Terkel book, you would go to the Social Science, Education, and Religion Department). A librarian or clerk will then go to the stacks to fetch the book and bring it back to you at the reference desk. Branch libraries are different.

Things are a little more complicated if you are not a Detroit resident and don't have a DPL card. Library cards are free for Detroit residents who can prove their residence [[state ID with a local address). You can also take materials out of DPL if your home library is a participant in the MichiCard program [[here is a list of participating libraries: http://envoy.libraryofmichigan.org/i...&cb_qsac=nosel). If you have a card with a participating library, you can simply request a MichiCard sticker for your card at the circulation desk. If your home library does not participate in the MichiCard network, then you have two options: 1) Move to Detroit and declare your residency, or 2) pay a $100 annual fee for access to the entire DPL system.

People do not realize how time consuming a digitization project is. It takes a LOT of manpower, time and money to pull this off. I worked on several and the fun wears off after a short time. Some of the historical photos in the Burton have been scanned have beenb digitized, which you can find here: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/i/imag...e-idx?c=dpa1ic

Being a public insitution, Wayne State may be able to help you but I am not sure of their policies. I have had numerous "rare" items pulled from their storage depository.
    Last edited by Patrick; May-13-09 at 04:31 PM.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post
    Things are a little more complicated if you are not a Detroit resident and don't have a DPL card. Library cards are free for Detroit residents who can prove their residence [[state ID with a local address). You can also take materials out of DPL if your home library is a participant in the MichiCard program [[here is a list of participating libraries: http://envoy.libraryofmichigan.org/i...&cb_qsac=nosel). If you have a card with a participating library, you can simply request a MichiCard sticker for your card at the circulation desk. If your home library does not participate in the MichiCard network, then you have two options: 1) Move to Detroit and declare your residency, or 2) pay a $100 annual fee for access to the entire DPL system.
    Or if you can get out to Ypsilanti or Ann Arbor both Eastern [[in storage) and Michigan [[at the Buhr Shelving Unit - only a piece of ID like a driver's license required for on premise use) show they have it.

Thanks to the helpful replies and repliers.
    Last edited by mortalman; May-13-09 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling error

No, the stacks at the DPL [[or 100% of all other places) have not all been scanned to provide an access copy to researchers. There is a very, extremely small amount of repository collections that are digitized, nor will they ever be; there is just too much material and too little resources.

If I were you, I would log on to the DPL site and see what requirements you will need to fulfill in order to have access to a digital copy of the material you're looking for. If the material you are interested in is not already digitized, my guess is be prepared to open your pocket book. Also, understand that you will be restricted for duplication [[per copyright), in addition to any restrictions placed on the collection you're trying to pull the material from.

Repositories exist in order to give access to knowledge, not prevent it. You should do just fine getting what you need.