Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: J.M. Citron

Default J.M. Citron

I was wondering if anyone had any information or histroy about this small, but long standing men's clothier that was once located on Washington at State. I started this thread in Oct. 2009 [[then bumped it a year ago) in Connections, but I know some don't always go on over there. So trying here.

I remember buying a few shirts at Citron's in the 1970's. The business catered to conservative tastes and gathered the customers who had frequented Capper and Capper in the Whitney Bldg and Hughes, Hatcher and Suffrin on Woodward. It seemed the customer base was loyal and Jewish...CPA's and lawyers. I remember hearing that the owner lived in Lafayette Park, but can't remember a name. I remember the obituary being published in the News and/or Freep, however. The interior of the store was tasteful 1950's-1960's..think Mad Men decor.

Thanks so much! It's in that 20th Century Retailing book and just wanted to know more about it. I did some research and all I got was that the founder, or at least his son, a J.M. Citron was alive in 1959 [[per a report about something about events downtown and how it helps businesses like his).

Anyone else?

I can't remember the date that Mr. Citron died, I do remember he was well into his late 80's, perhaps 90 when he died. See this mention from HOUR Detroit magazine from a couple of years ago...the original Suffrin Store was actually across the street and across the alley from Citron's [[where the new addition of the Book Cadillac sits, actually behind the original Detroit Edison building which was next to the Book Cadillac on the Washington Blvd. frontage.) The other Washington Blvd. gentlemens store, S. L. Bird and Son's was the first to close [[late 1950's) and the surviving son, Charlie Bird ended up being the longtime general manager of Jacobson's in Dearborn until the late 1970's. He retired from Jakes and lived in Dearborn until he died, probably 10 years ago, give or take.

http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...ril-2009/1947/
    Last edited by detroitbob; February-17-11 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    I remember buying a few shirts at Citron's in the 1970's. The business catered to conservative tastes and gathered the customers who had frequented Capper and Capper in the Whitney Bldg and Hughes, Hatcher and Suffrin on Woodward. It seemed the customer base was loyal and Jewish...CPA's and lawyers. I remember hearing that the owner lived in Lafayette Park, but can't remember a name. I remember the obituary being published in the News and/or Freep, however. The interior of the store was tasteful 1950's-1960's..think Mad Men decor.
    Just found this thread, so forgive the lateness of the posting. Thanks for the info! I was wondering about J.M. Citron. I bought a few vintage ties from the estate sale at Sonny Elliot's house a few years ago. Wondered about the store and it's history.

Quote Originally Posted by HKWolf View Post
    Just found this thread, so forgive the lateness of the posting. Thanks for the info! I was wondering about J.M. Citron. I bought a few vintage ties from the estate sale at Sonny Elliot's house a few years ago. Wondered about the store and it's history.
    Hey HKWolf, since starting this thread, The Jewish News has put their archives on line. Mr. Citron's obituary can be found in the October 21, 1988 edition.

I'll have to look into that. Thank you!