Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default GoodAdvice Needed Re Registering Rental Properties

I know that the City of Detroit has a program under which rental properties have to be registered and inspected. I can't imagine that the program is funded and works, but nevertheless, I have some questions. They arise out of the increasing numbers of rental properties in my SW Detroit neighborhood and resultant serious deterioration of properties.

1. Does the rental registration cover single family homes?
    2. Does the owner have to register the property as a rental or can a citizen/neighbor ask that the property be investigated as a rental?
    3. Where do you go to report a rental?
    4. Unsafe properties and oblious code violations - where are these handled?
    5. Do people have to take the plywood off the windows when someone is living in the house? This seems to be the new thing - plywood covering the downstairs windows long-term. Its hard to tell if the occupants belong there or are squatters.

gdogslim Guest