Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GUSHI Guest

Default Name of bar on conant

Does any one know the name of the bar that was located on Conant, between Miller and Dorthy in Hamtramck. I remember going in it as a little kid w/ my dad. Across from were Dicksion jail is. Thankyou.

The only bar I knew down there was Mother's.

I don't know the answer to you question. But an old bar still exists at around the spot you describe, it is part of a auto junk yard. Is that the same bar?

Oh man, that building is falling apart. It's the most hilariously dilapidated building on Conant.

Caddy Corners was over there. I just learned this past week that Caddy Corners was owned/co-owned by one of the guys from the now defunct Roosevelt Bar.

Kielson-M.O. Owned it. You didn't know that?
    He wanted my dad to go partners with him!

GUSHI Guest

Mothers is more down by Winkelman. IT was a little hole in the wall, I dont think the building is still there. I think it got replaced by a Yem,an market or something

GUSHI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I don't know the answer to you question. But an old bar still exists at around the spot you describe, it is part of a auto junk yard. Is that the same bar?
    it wasnt by ample car market. I cant picture a bar by Ample c.m. There use to be a house on miller and conant then next to it was ample[[junkyard). The one im thinking was on Conant between Miller and Dorthy. It may of even been on the corner of conant and dorthy

wasn't mothers a candy factory?

That junk yard is a mess, but at least they put up a bigger fence.

I think they should just bomb that little corner, though somebody has been improving Mothers. I always thought it would make a nice little urban compound to live in if one could pull their car into the building-you know, like in mad max times.

Could be Checker bar at 8526 Conant, J&J bar at 8561 Conant, or Sun Dawn Cafe at 8502 Conant. These names are from about 1945.

So it's not the Alameen Poultry Fish Market?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...,53.57,,0,0.31

Was it on the site where they built the new housing that seems forever unoccupied?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...2,30.23,,0,0.9

GUSHI Guest

it is the fish market, almost positve. what was the name of the bar?
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    So it's not the Alameen Poultry Fish Market?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...,53.57,,0,0.31

Was it on the site where they built the new housing that seems forever unoccupied?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...2,30.23,,0,0.9

It's where the auto parts junkyard is, I'm pretty sure.
    The building is old. But you can tell it was a bar, a long time ago

GUSHI Guest

I know the owner of the junkyard, it was were the fish market is now like 99 percent sure
    Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    It's where the auto parts junkyard is, I'm pretty sure.
    The building is old. But you can tell it was a bar, a long time ago

GUSHI Guest

the junkyard is for sale if anyone wants to buy it

GUSHI Guest

There use to be a candy store next to the junkyard on miller, some old Polish lady use to own it. Then something happen to her and some Arab bought it and if i remember correctly it burned a few years later. I use to love getting swedish fish there and mike and ikes. lol

There was the C Street Cafe, which was a bar at 8534 Conant. I believe the building is gone now. It was either on the corner of Conant and Dorothy, or one building/door from the corner.

GUSHI Guest

Ya your right THANKYOU for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    There was the C Street Cafe, which was a bar at 8534 Conant. I believe the building is gone now. It was either on the corner of Conant and Dorothy, or one building/door from the corner.

The building next to the junkyard was almost certainly a bar. Has those famous elongated hexagonal windows only found on 'old world' bars like Stempiens, or Chene-Adele bar, which in its first incarnation would have been not too far away from there. J&S had same windows. And dozens of other bars. So that may not be the bar you were looking for, but there's a bar building along that strip.

GUSHI Guest

it may of been a bar along time ago, I dont remember it being open when i use to live down there. we use to play basketball in that area in the alley all the time I just dont remember it being in open. I lived in that area from 81-94
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    The building next to the junkyard was almost certainly a bar. Has those famous elongated hexagonal windows only found on 'old world' bars like Stempiens, or Chene-Adele bar, which in its first incarnation would have been not too far away from there. J&S had same windows. And dozens of other bars. So that may not be the bar you were looking for, but there's a bar building along that strip.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Kielson-M.O. Owned it. You didn't know that?
    He wanted my dad to go partners with him!
    I did know that. But, I just found it out from a local this past week. I didn't want to drop a name here without being absolutely positive. I looked at it about 25 years ago when it was for sale. I didn't remember him being the seller. It was a real dive and frequented by some real 'characters', shall we say? The types I grew up with in Rouge and Delray - most of whom are dead or incarcerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Could be Checker bar at 8526 Conant, J&J bar at 8561 Conant, or Sun Dawn Cafe at 8502 Conant. These names are from about 1945.
    Sun Dawn, or Sunrise Cafe as I knew it, was upside of the viaduct. It was demolished a few years back. I knew at least two of the owners of that place. A very cool bar and building in its days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    J & S was at the intersection of Carpenter and Conant. It's now a hardware store. I tried to buy that license and move it to Eastern Market a few years ago. City Hall and the DPD couldn't find it in their generous souls to approve a license transfer. So much for business development in Daytwah.

The building that used to be Mother's [[at Conant and Mt. Elliott - it used to have Alfred E. Newman stenciled on the outside) has been repainted recently and something is going on inside. I saw lights on inside last night - never saw lights on in there before and I've been driving by there daily for the last 8 years. I'm curious to know what is going on, since that building has been boarded up since I the late '90s [[according to my memory) and looks totally unusable.

GUSHI Guest

Maybe it's gona me a Arabic Retaurant, alot of Yemans in the area, if it wasn't for them that area would be a total wasteland, I drove by there a few months back and noticed my Grandpa old house burned down across from the Baptist church on Miller.Are they building a charter school or private school on Mt Elliott across from the Pole town plant? My grandma use to wash dishes at Mothers when they came to the U.S. lates 60's, or early 70's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast