Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Martial Arts/Self Defense Programs on Detroit's East Side or Eastern Burbs

Anyone familiar with the eastside's QUALITY programs for novices. I'm looking to try something new, use muscles I've forgotten about and learn a useful skill. It would be nice if I could also use a treadmill while at the location also. Any ideas?

I've heard this one is good. The link is broken, but I'm pretty sure the school is there as I've just recently heard of someone training there. Good, tough style of Karate.

Bushido Kyokushin Karate Dojo
    Address: 22520 Greater Mack Ave. St. Clair Shores, MI 48080
    Phone: [[586) 770-9672
    E-Mail: Contact by E-mail

Another good one is this one, Koei-Kan Karate
    Koei-Kan Karate-Do
    U.S.A. Hombu Dojo
    Mike Brown
    23300 John R. Hazel Park, MI 48030
    Telephone: 248-398-9681
    http://www.koeikanhombu.com

If you watch any UFC MMA, Georges St. Pierre is a black belt in Kyokushin, and Chuck Liddell is a BB in Koei-Kan. Both provide good, tough training. Dolph Lundgren is also a BB in Kyokushin. You won't go wrong with either.

My recommendation would be to try Judo. It is a martial art, but really emphasizes sport and competition [[as opposed to strictly "self defense") Besides Brazilian Jiu Jitsu [[ a popular derivative of judo) all the other martial arts out there [[karate, hapkido, etc) emphasize unrealistic self defense situations with compliant attackers. Im not saying you wont learn anything, but Judo has so much more to offer and is extremely safe. If you wish, you dont have to do the sport aspect either, and can learn pre-arranged forms known as kata to advance you rank as well.

Hands down Side Kicks Martial arts http://www.sidekicksma.com/

bartock Guest

http://newedgemartialarts.com/

Mack north of Vernier in the Woods.

Is there any interest in Eskrima, Arnis or Kali around Detroit?

I'm not aware of much of a Filipino culture here.

Thanks so much for ur suggestions!

I tried out New Edge Martial Arts in GPW last night. They have a free adult [[age 13+) self defense class every Wednesday so you can check it out and see if you like it. I intend to go back next Wednesday as well. The instructor, Kevin, gave me the kind of self-defense instruction I was looking for. It looks like he borrows from different martial arts genres in order to demonstrate moves that can be used in real life situations.

Its a small studio. I was the only newby there, but there were about eight other "regulars" there who were working on their skills at their level. I get the feeling that its like CHEERS -- everybody will know your name. It seemed that Kevin had actually known more than half of them for quite some time. The participants were from diverse professional backgrounds and age groups. There was even a medical doctor in the class who assured me that I would not injure my elbow if I ever have to jab an assailant in the sternum, jaw, or chin.

I would recommend it. I've never taken any kind of self defense or martial arts course so I MAY shop around, but I liked the vibe of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    ... who assured me that I would not injure my elbow if I ever have to jab an assailant in the sternum, jaw, or chin.
    Don't hit your funny bone.

Seriously though, I can't vouch for the truth of it but I recently heard that that's the most forceful blow you can make without a weapon.

THREAT Management is pretty cool down off of Wright St by the old Uniroyal ruins and Global Metals, Inc building. The camo pants wearing dude from THREAT tried to seal me up inside of Global Metals, Inc one day but he couldnt get the screwes to stick into the metal sheets that surround the entrance. It was kinda scary for a minute