Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Straight Choice: worst area of Detroit?

Inspired by someone's request for info on various areas of Detroit, what is the absolute worst, and for what reasons?

How do you define worst?

There's areas that are very emptied out, but not the worst in crime. So is it worst in terms of urbanity and condition or worst in crime?

Worst areas on Detroit, EVERYWHERE!

I would say the worst is Birmingham/West Bloomfield. The people there are rude, self-important and have a sense of entitlement written all over them. Probably trying to prove something. Living there would be daily disgust.

DetroitPole Guest

Ok, I'm going to be mean since this insensitive and inane topic comes up every three months:

Since we're all "Detroiters" and Detroit is some amorphous blob of a region according so some, my vote goes to Novi, Canton, or Macomb Township. Frankly I think the world would be a better place if they never existed, or better yet, just went back to the farmland that they were 30 years ago. Living out there makes as much sense as living in Antarctica. Ugly, shitty houses, can't even walk to the mailbox of the liquor store, not convenient to anything.

Before you complain about the above statement or say you live here, the point of this thread is to peg, in everyones' opinion, their worst places in Detroit, so saying Brightmoor instead of Novi is not any nicer even though Brightmoor isn't pretty. Thousands of people still live there, too.

Worst area in the City of Detroit? Got me. Even Brightmoor has Scotty Simpson's and Poletown has Ivanhoe Cafe.

I think this topic comes up so either people can say to their friends when they're driving around, "I'm going to take you to ______ in Detroit and drop you off" or show off their cred by stating they know of the "worst" area of Detroit.

Inspired by someones' request? Why do they care? Most people only go downtown or midtown and unless you go looking for trouble or drugs or hookers, as a visitor you're probably not going to end up someplace you'd have to worry about seriously.

Unless they're planning to walk across the city from Kingsville to Telegraph Road, and want to take the path of least resistance, I would disregard their request.

I can say with more certainty my favorite areas of the city of Detroit - Inside the DIA or in my living room, drinking a beer.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; February-13-11 at 01:14 PM.

DetroitPole, weren't you the one [[Did a search, it was you) that stated that Madison Heights was one of the shittiest places around because Kowalski was considering moving there?

You should try growing up yourself before you start pointing fingers at other people.
    Not only does your post come across as childish, but you're also a hypocrite.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    DetroitPole, weren't you the one [[Did a search, it was you) that stated that Madison Heights was one of the shittiest places around because Kowalski was considering moving there?

You should try growing up yourself before you start pointing fingers at other people.
    Not only does your post come across as childish, but you're also a hypocrite.
    Because trying to figure out the "worst place in Detroit" is such a mature, learned topic?

I honestly remember talking about this shit in high school. But then I "grew up."

And you're damn right - an 84 year old company with deep ethnic ties - which I share - to an urban community up and leaving with no concern or feeling of responsibility to that community for a vacant Sam's Club on 14 mile road downright pisses me off.

Take it in context - I didn't start a thread that said, "what is the absolute worst suburb in Metro Detroit?" and wouldn't, and that is what is analogous to this threat. I'm mostly just sick of this topic, anyway.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; February-13-11 at 02:22 PM.

Disregard it then.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Inspired by someone's request for info on various areas of Detroit, what is the absolute worst, and for what reasons?
    2 Woodward Ave. Millions of brain cells are killed there every day.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Robinwood St. seems to have some shock and awe value in that regard for obvious reasons. Google Street View visited on trash day so the visible dumpsters offer a convenient estimate of residency.

Someone start a thread on the best areas of Detroit! See which thread scores the most views! Have a race!

GUSHI Guest

THE area by St Albertus is pretty bad. Chene is pretty bad. My old hood is bad also Miller and Mt Eliott esp. East of Mt Elliott and just north of Oliver.

I do know for a fact that most cabs will not go into the neighborhood behind me north of Carpenter, between I-75 and Campau, up to E McNichols.

The area just BELOW the Jeffries near Burt is like Tobacco Road revisited. Also, Tacoma Street, running East off Gratiot gives Robinwood a run for the money.

If you pull out of Google street view and fly down Robinwood you can see where someone has dumped about 100 or so tires between the houses. It just boils your blood that this happens all over the city, a fricking free dump zone. Forty years ago kids were playing in the yard while mom baked bread in the kitchen. Ok I'm back from leave it to Beaverville.

Worst place in metro Detroit? I'd say Macomb Township.

Worst place in the city of Detroit? I'm going to say the neighborhood along Dexter Avenue, south of Davison.

The worse places in Detroit are the places in the suburbanite's mind.

You haven't opened your eyes inside the city's boundaries then.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    You haven't opened your eyes inside the city's boundaries then.
    I know! You seen it too? Alla them black people?

I can't figure out this poster "night-timer".

Wants to talk about the worst of Detroit.

OK.

But in this thread, he claims he lives in Sydney Australia and has never been to Detroit.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...923#post209923

While in this thread, he's looking for pick-up hockey games in Detroit to drop in on.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...319#post223319

Something's odd about all this.

Some would argue, from 8 mile road, to the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I do know for a fact that most cabs will not go into the neighborhood behind me north of Carpenter, between I-75 and Campau, up to E McNichols.
    That sounds kind of beyond repair.

Quote Originally Posted by RedeemerKid View Post
    I can't figure out this poster "night-timer".

Wants to talk about the worst of Detroit.

OK.

But in this thread, he claims he lives in Sydney Australia and has never been to Detroit.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...923#post209923

While in this thread, he's looking for pick-up hockey games in Detroit to drop in on.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...319#post223319

Something's odd about all this.
    CREDIBILITY CHECK! Unless night-timer's willing to explain this, I'm calling him out and questioning the real purpose of this thread other than to stir the sh!t up.

Washington Blvd., it's the worst for parking...

"I know Hamtramck is in dire straights financially, but Madison Heights, really? Could there be a shittier place ever, anywhere?"

DetroitPole, I have no problem with your direct qoute above from the Kowalski thread from a month ago. If that's your opinion you're entitled to it. The problem is that you have no moral high ground to condemn someone for doing something that you obviously have no problem doing yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast