Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Nain Rouge Parade ? Is it happening this yr?

Title sez it all... Last yr there was quite a little fete that ran from up near asu down to cass park . It even made Time magazine. Not a peep so far this yr.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Title sez it all... Last yr there was quite a little fete that ran from up near asu down to cass park . It even made Time magazine. Not a peep so far this yr.
    Yes, it's happening. There was a notice about it somewhere. Let me check and get back to you.

According to their Facebook page, the event is scheduled for Sunday, March 20.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marche...4917741?v=info

LodgeDodger Guest

TimeSunday, March 20 · 1:00pm - 7:00pm
    LocationStarts: 3rd Street Bar - Ends: Cass Park Detroit

I'm still wondering if it is a good idea to instigate this creature into public view again.

I mean, if he shows to the party, DOOM is certain to follow. WTF?!

Why poke a sleeping bear?!

Thank you all for the info; I'm in the process of sharpening a bunch of sticks for the express purpose to poke as many sleeping bears as possible

Cool, thanx for posting about this. I checked out the pics on the Facebook page and that looks like fun, and day drinking after a parade is always good. Plus, the devil is a motherf*%^er, I'm all for running him out of town. I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    Cool, thanx for posting about this. I checked out the pics on the Facebook page and that looks like fun, and day drinking after a parade is always good. Plus, the devil is a motherf*%^er, I'm all for running him out of town. I'm in!
    If you run him out of town then there will be no need for another march next year. Maybe just have him hit the road for Eight Mile.

This sounds like a fun event. I could see this growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This sounds like a fun event. I could see this growing.
    Yeah. It's the perfect psychological scapegoat/release. No one real gets hurt. Everyone's emotions get channeled against a common fictional enemy. Good excuse to join forces in fun.

A tradition in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Thank you all for the info; I'm in the process of sharpening a bunch of sticks for the express purpose to poke as many sleeping bears as possible
    Instickgator.

Ok I'll leave the sticks at home, but I am going to break out my old Robocop costume for the fete.

Just heard a piece on WDET....

"The 2011 edition of the Marche du Nain Rouge steps off at one o’clock Sunday afternoon at the corner of Third and Forest in Detroit’s midtown neighborhood. Organizers say men, women and children of all ages are welcome to take part in the festivities. But you’re warned to dress in disguise so when the Nain returns next year he won’t track you down and personally cause mischief in your life."

http://www.wdetfm.org/article/the-de...to-the-streets

And the official website: http://marchedunainrouge.com/

See you there????

What a great time today! And we got to enjoy a tasty meal from Slow's to boot.

Participated in the Marche. It was great fun, with lots and lots of people in
    disguise, and lots of float type....things !!!
    Everybody was in great cheer, including the Nain Rouge....until he realized what
    was actually going to happen to him, and then OUCH!!!!!!!
    It was a very organized event this year, although I personally wish the parade route
    would wind a little more through neighborhoods, which it did a little of this year.
    I just think it's too short, because it was so much fun, with all the bikes, and
    well behaved dogs on leashes [[for the most part).
    The only problem I personally had with the whole event, compared to last years is,
    There was no bonfire [[maybe a permit issue) and the crowd was so large,
    I really wasn't able to comprehend exactly what ensued once du Nain was brought
    forth at his final destination at Cass Park.
    The grandstand was a grand addition, with the bands performing splendidly,
    but unfortunately, a large proportion of the crowd had already disappeared.
    I think what happened was, [[IMO) that as a result of it being relatively hard
    to comprehend what was taking place with the proceedings of the demise of
    du Nain Rouge, because you couldn't see what was going on from the back....
    ....people started getting bored....and left.
    Other than not comprehending the 'end proceedings' IT went spectacularly!!!!!

Name:  12-66223.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  48.0 KB
    Great event for a perfect spring-like day. Webisode coming.

Great fun was had by all, and Detroitnerd even got to shake Lowell's hand down in Cass Park. My favorite was the small group of COUNTERPROTESTER RED DWARVES who were like, "Give us a chance!" "Don't discriminate against dwarfs!" Hahaha.

Vive Détroit! Longue via à la marche du Nain Rouge! Can't wait to get more images from this year's do.

We had a great time yesterday at the Marche du Nain Rouge! Was that Coleman Young who came and took the red dwarf away . . . presumably to hell???